Iphone tool :

Posted By: ratchet

Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 14:59

Well !

Anyone have experience making games for iphone ?
And what is the moe cheap tool available in indie domain ?
Unity, Torque, or native devKit from Apple ?
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 15:08

Quote:
Anyone have experience making games for iphone ?
Slin.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 15:23

You also need a Mac, as the development kid does not work on Windows PC.
Instead of an iPhone you could also get an iPod Touch for development, its cheaper.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 15:39

there is no way without a mac and a membership in the apple developer programm. The membership costs 99$(79€) per year.
The iPhone SDK with all tools is free and really great to use. The cheapest engine for the iPhone is probably shiva. It also renders quite fast on the iPhone since the last update. The disadvantage is, that the scripting is really hard, as you have to do a lot on your own.
I have no experience with Unity and Torque. But Torque seemes to be quite expensive for iPhone developement.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 17:46

yeah, i played with shiva's scripting a little, its do-able but i didn't like it much. eventually I'd like to get Unity3d pro because from what i read that ports to iphone as well. and I assume all you'd need would be a very small mac machine for the conversion.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 18:13

Yes you don't need the newest mac to port it, it just must be as powerful as the iphone laugh

Unity is easy-to-use for iPhone games. Though it also depends on what kind of game you want to create. For 2D games, i would probably suggest iTGB from Garagegames but for 3D games, Unity is better.

Since i want to make 2D and 3D games, i got Unity. The scripting is super easy too.

Dunno about Shiva, probably a good solution too if you have enough programing knowledge.

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 18:18

Quote:
if you have enough programing knowledge.

Its not really about programming knowledge that is it's set back, from what I remember, it had this really funky set up for its object orientation, and that's the only methodology you can use, and some scoping issues with the variables are also very odd compared to any other programming language I've used. Again tho, its been a while so don't quote me on any of this. Plus I only used the demo.
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 20:03

Originally Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku
Yes you don't need the newest mac to port it, it just must be as powerful as the iphone laugh

Nope, xCode need at least an intel mac.

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 20:05

why do you need xCode if your using Unity3d?
Posted By: ratchet

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 21:04

Well Unity license cost a lot !

You have to possess a standard license than purchase the Iphone.

But if you 're really sure to sell something, in that case, why not !

I wsould like a cheap version,just to evaluate a&nd try to make a game.
Once you get the game :yeah , why not buying a more expensive license !!
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 21:35

Originally Posted By: Sylar
Originally Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Nope, xCode need at least an intel mac.

Really? Okay didn't know that.

@lostclimate

cause when you build your game, Unity will start xcode and compile it using the iPhone SDK (it also checks if you have a valid iPhone developer license).

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/02/09 22:05

ok, cool, good to know for the future. how much is the iPhone dev license?
Posted By: ISG

Re: Iphone tool : - 07/03/09 01:10

I work for Apple so I can answer this. Starting price for iPhone Dev license is $99.
© 2024 lite-C Forums