Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 :

Posted By: ratchet

Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/22/11 21:17

Just playing with it laugh

Not bad at all, i have some good PC, and it runs well.
I'll test it on another PC more older but doing shaders to see how it will run !

But once again there is C4 engine also, i think if i had to choose or buy one of the two i would turn perhaps to LeadWorks
caus i really don't like to waste my time programming in C ++
for C4 engine for example !

After that it's a matter of taste, each of us prefer less or more programming laugh

It makes all real time, shadows, lights etc ...
I think it can be what costs in perfomance.
But you can disable what you want laugh

Impressive on my good PC :

But be carefull, it's the same animated tree, and there si no houses , structures, nother animated NPC or particle effects ! The scene seems full , but it is not so full of things !
Anyway not bad (FPS on upper left of picture) !

I don't know if it has lightmaps , and i don't knwo if you can go as far as 3DGS with script for example ?
And it is easy to do any game genre like 3DGS ?

Well things to seek for and test.
Posted By: Quad

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/22/11 22:36

you can go as far is 3dgs with scripts for sure. How much easier or harder, i do not know. I have a license. You can use c,c++ and lua for scripting/programming.
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/23/11 11:24

Did you make extensive comparison tests ?
I like Leadwerks as far as workflow and programming style is concerned but from my limited experience it is quite slow
Of course on a modern PC , it can be acceptable but it remains much slower than Unity
In the past I laughed at people arguing about a 28 rather than 32 fps but nowadays it seems that there is really big difference among various engine
Probaly for the reason explained by Frank in an other thread
Posted By: Quad

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/23/11 12:23

Unfortunately i did not do much of a test. Just checked out the asset and script workflow and world editor. It's also a one-man show. I still see the engine as a possible option. I mean after what i saw i did not completely scratched it out of my list.
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/23/11 13:28

I was going to get Leadwerks for my next game, but one of my main reasons for leaving Acknex was the fact that I wanted Linux support, and Leadwerks' Developers don't want to add it.
Posted By: Slin

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/23/11 13:33

Performance however is hard to compare until you compare the same really complex scene with lots of lights and stuff in the different engines. If there are for example many subsystems running which are responsible for really effective culling and streaming and whatelse, the engine will be slow in a small simple scene, compared to an engine which really just renders everything, but this will change as soon as the scene gets more complex. Another big difference is the way things are rendered: Lightprepass rendering i very slow in a simple scene with just one light compared to forward rendering, but if you want to have more lights and more polygons and stuff, lightprepass rendering will turn out to be much faster than a forward renderer rendering the same amount of lights using multiple passes.
In the end the best engine would probably the one where you can turn things on or off, but then again, this would mean for the user that he needs to know, what everything is, which usually doesn´t seem to be the case.
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/23/11 17:40

Originally Posted By: Slin
Performance however is hard to compare until you compare the same really complex scene with lots of lights and stuff in the different engines.

Well ,in priciple I agree but all the main engines supply an "Islands" like demo
As I said in my prvious post, I find ridicoulus to argue about a bunch of fps but when the speed difference is in the range of 1 to 5 , or so, then it is an other story
This is at least the results of my tests on my two Desk top PC's and 1 mobile
Posted By: muffel

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/23/11 20:46

Originally Posted By: Slin
Another big difference is the way things are rendered: Lightprepass rendering i very slow in a simple scene with just one light compared to forward rendering, but if you want to have more lights and more polygons and stuff, lightprepass rendering will turn out to be much slower than a forward renderer rendering the same amount of lights using multiple passes.

Wait what do you want to say us.
Why are you saying it is in both cases slower? That makes no sense
muffel
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/23/11 21:43

He meant that it's faster in the second case, I believe.

Jibb
Posted By: Slin

Re: Leadwerks Engine Evaluation Kit 2.4 : - 07/23/11 21:49

Corrected wink
© 2024 lite-C Forums