Whats the diffrence?

Posted By: DLively

Whats the diffrence? - 04/02/07 12:58

wasnt sure where else to put this thread... sorry if its in the wrong spot.

Before I start teaching myself lite-C, I would like to know how it works, and whats the diffrence...

I downloaded it and i only had the script editor, and the modle editor... how do i make a level and run it? Do i use 3dGamestudio?

Thanks,

Devon
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/03/07 02:43

yes in ur script, load the level made in WED. run it from lite-C when testing. u could also code a model-only level.

lite-C is almost exactly the same as c-script. it is a bit more pinickity -- there are a few things that u get away with in c-script that u may not realize. the lite-c manual and workshop should help u with that.

good luck!

julz
Posted By: DLively

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/03/07 16:25

thanks
Posted By: Tiinusen

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/03/07 21:40

Thats good to know, can you give me some good reasons to learn C-Lite?
Example:
(1) What good with C-lite?
(2) What can you do in C-lite that you can't in C-Script?
(3) Is it possible in somehow to make a strategic game in C-Lite?

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/03/07 22:13

(1) there's a lot good with lite-C. for one thing i believe it is faster than C-script due to it being pre-compiled. u can write any windows application in lite-C without using the actual engine. u can call directX functions or openGL functions (but i don't think you can do openGL while using the engine since it is directX, but someone else can correct me on that). if you learn to take advantage of lite-C, you'll basically be learning how to program in C (though by the looks of your signature, you probably already know C).

(2) like i said, you have access to openGL, directX, and windows API. the compiler is also stricter, so some people may have a few initial troubles migrating from C-script to lite-C. u can use structs in lite-C! structs are great.

(3) it's been done before in C-script. quite a few times. there's nothing stopping anyone from doing absolutely anything with lite-C.

good luck

julz

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/04/07 06:37

Thanks Julz. Thats Motivated me to keep going.
One more question. why can't i add my C-Lite script in the world editor.
It can only add C-Scripts in the world editor.
Do i have to wait for a release of a newer version of the World Editor?

And to anserw you assertion, yes i can program C. so it aint complicated to understund and build.

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/04/07 07:52

u will need a7 to use lite-c in the World Editor. u can still load levels u've built in World Editor using lite-c, and run the script from the Script Editor. in Options->Preferences you need to tell Script Editor to run the current script you're working on when u click the black "play" button.

lite-c is lots of fun

julz

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/04/07 08:37

Yes i understund that. I have beginned work with C-Lite and i have checked all the Workshops. and i think its nice. and that you are able to do much more.

But there is a little problem when i create maps in the World Editor.
I can not Compile the maps. because it demands a Script that i cannot add into the map. in this case i mean C-Script. because i use C-Lite. Well i tried to compile a map with the standard script "Empty/None Script" but i do not understund the meaning of doing that. So does it still work? because when i run the map in C-Lite its all faint black and i cannot see the Walls or anything, even if i placed the camera in the X,Y,Z area so it would be possible to see the walls. what i understund is that i need light. but how to add light without Pre-Add Entitys into the map from the beginning?

Thanks alot for your help before

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/04/07 08:57

sorry but i can't help u with this problem. i don't like WED. i don't have any particular problems with it, but i find it a little awkward and i don't need BSP culled blocks so i tend to make levels out of models using script. hopefully someone else can help you out.

i'm glad i could help so far, with the other thread as well

julz

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/04/07 09:11

Well i let someone else anserw the question, and thank you for the help.

Quote:

Yes i understund that. I have beginned work with C-Lite and i have checked all the Workshops. and i think its nice. and that you are able to do much more.

But there is a little problem when i create maps in the World Editor.
I can not Compile the maps. because it demands a Script that i cannot add into the map. in this case i mean C-Script. because i use C-Lite. Well i tried to compile a map with the standard script "Empty/None Script" but i do not understund the meaning of doing that. So does it still work? because when i run the map in C-Lite its all faint black and i cannot see the Walls or anything, even if i placed the camera in the X,Y,Z area so it would be possible to see the walls. what i understund is that i need light. but how to add light without Pre-Add Entitys into the map from the beginning?

Thanks alot for your help before

Posted By: Marcus729

Re: Whats the diffrence? - 04/05/07 13:23

Tiinusen,

If you have not yet done so get George Pirvu's Lite C workshop.

Workshop 8 shows what you need to do to run a level from Lite C. Copy this script file and change the level name to the level you have or are going to build. Save your script.

Once your level is built go to File menu and select Map Properties.
Click the Choose Script button and find your script from above and select it.

Your map now has a script.

This is obviously very brief. Read the rest of the workshops and I think you will see all you need to get started playing with Lite C and WED.

Marcus
© 2024 lite-C Forums