how can i keep the fps up??

Posted By: Sam_Be

how can i keep the fps up?? - 08/26/07 11:25

hi
can somebody post here a script that makes that the fps keep up at about 30??
thax sam
Posted By: ShoreVietam

Re: how can i keep the fps up?? - 08/26/07 12:18

*lol*

A Script?

If this was possible I'd sill use a 486 machine boosting it with a script.

Keeping FPS up is a matter of level design in first place.
Second place in your script (no addition stuff).

Using less time consuming functions, don't do everything every frame if not really necessary.

Removing level parts if not needed snice trace and move instruction need more time the more obejts are in the level (can be ~10 to 40 FPS with 600 entities less, depending on the script, too).

Use models with less polys, lowpoly does look very well, texture is much more important.

Use more models, level geometry consumes too much FPS.

Use smaller Terrain since the whole terrain has to be rendered even if only 20 polys are on the screen.

Keep lots stuff out of the view.

Just look at games like Half Life (1), Quake ect. they are complex, but there is not much on the screen.

Otherwise use iso view like I did in Dragonrise.

Models and Terrain, only the -simple- building is wmb:

Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: how can i keep the fps up?? - 08/26/07 18:37

fps_max = 30; in case you ment restricting it
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: how can i keep the fps up?? - 08/26/07 18:44

You could use .dds textures, since they are decompressed directly by your graphics cards hardware and use less memory. Try fewer dynamic lights. If it's really a large world, you can use clipping or clip fog so it will cut out distant objects. There's LOD for your models and bitmaps, or a script to pop them in and out based on distance.
Posted By: Helghast

Re: how can i keep the fps up?? - 08/26/07 20:35

Quote:

You could use .dds textures, since they are decompressed directly by your graphics cards hardware and use less memory. Try fewer dynamic lights. If it's really a large world, you can use clipping or clip fog so it will cut out distant objects. There's LOD for your models and bitmaps, or a script to pop them in and out based on distance.

even with a small world, using a camera angle like dragonrise (which is the perfect example), setting a low clipping plane is usefull, since you wont see anything outside the camera angle, why render it...

and yeah, locking the max_fps at 30 will help, but it'l only smooth out the frames, and for that matter the drop will stil be visual. best way to tackle FPS problems is a good design!

regards,
Posted By: HeelX

Re: how can i keep the fps up?? - 08/26/07 20:54

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/sho...551487de1f78f1f
Posted By: Helghast

Re: how can i keep the fps up?? - 08/26/07 21:25

Quote:

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/sho...551487de1f78f1f

golden!
© 2024 lite-C Forums