map_subents and ent_create

Posted By: xbox

map_subents and ent_create - 07/21/14 18:10

I asked a while ago about using map_subents on WED placed entities and discovered a bug that meant you could only use map_subents on ent_create(d) entities. I'm back at trying to do this again, but I'm confused. Maybe I'm over thinking this, but if you have to ent_create the entities into a level after it's loaded, doesn't that defeat the purpose of map_subents? I'm stumped trying to figure out how to use ent_create and use map_subents, the manual is very unclear to me. Any help would be appreciated at the moment.
Posted By: DLively

Re: map_subents and ent_create - 07/21/14 22:35

Quote:

Determines whether entities contained in map entities are to be placed into the level, or not.

THIS IS ONLY A GUESS!!!

But From my understanding, I think this is to tell the engine to place any sub_entities within a map entity to be used or not.

so if set to 1 I believe you are utilizing any entities in the compiled map (map entity) with models to be used, or 0 to ignore them....

I dont think ent_create needs to be used for this. Rather this variable needs to be set before loading your level....
Posted By: xbox

Re: map_subents and ent_create - 07/22/14 01:00

Well, that is how it's supposed to work. However if you create a map with models and map entities, and compile it, map_subents = 1 does not load the subentities. The only way it works is if you place them into the level via ent_create rather than directly into WED. Hence the issue, what is the purpose of map_subents if I have to create them by code.

I need to be able to load the map, then do a loop and check for the names of the subents that were loaded and then go about my business, but if I have to create them manually for every level I load, the code is going to be quite hectic and extensive and only more complicated with every level I add.

Here's the link to the original post. map_subents
© 2024 lite-C Forums