Portal Technology

Posted By: Matt_Coles

Portal Technology - 05/01/07 02:10

Would it be hard to implement portals like in prey and hl2: portal?
I have an interesting game idea revolving around creating these portals and I think it could be quite an interesting engine feature
Posted By: Uhrwerk

Re: Portal Technology - 05/01/07 14:34

You have everything you need for portals at hand. If I remember correctly this was even done with G.S. somwhen in the past. There was a thread about the theme here in the forums.
Posted By: fogman

Re: Portal Technology - 05/01/07 18:34

Take a look here:
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/694802/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1
Posted By: Matt_Aufderheide

Re: Portal Technology - 05/01/07 23:44

remember this isnt real "portal" tech, just render-to-texture using a differnt view. This works fine for most cases i guess tho..
Posted By: TWO

Re: Portal Technology - 05/02/07 20:25

IS there actually a real portal technique?

Re: Portal Technology - 05/02/07 22:49

I'll see if I can use Sylex to implement a fake portal using cameras and render to texture, I hope I can get it working. If I do I'll post the code
Posted By: Grafton

Re: Portal Technology - 05/02/07 23:45

Have a look at Valves new game Portal

Wow!

Re: Portal Technology - 05/02/07 23:50

yeah, that's where I got the idea from
Posted By: xXxGuitar511

Re: Portal Technology - 05/02/07 23:54

wow, that looks f*cking great...

Can't wait till it's release...
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: Portal Technology - 05/04/07 08:52

Amen. Wonder how hard that would be to program with 3dgs. I'd claim it's possible though. Too bad I don't have pro :'(

Re: Portal Technology - 05/04/07 13:50

I might try to do this with my sylex/newton project.

Use sylex render to texture. render the view with certain arc's angles. Use newtons trnsport object option to move it between positions...

Shouldn't be too difficult...
Posted By: ExtraCortex

Re: Portal Technology - 05/05/07 10:14

Quote:

Take a look here:
http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/694802/page/0/fpart/1/vc/1

You call that a portal?

See my TRUE portal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd15ZAF6tnM

It uses NO SHADERS.

Re: Portal Technology - 05/07/07 00:53

@ExtraCortex:
no, I wouldn't need shaders for it, but i would need sylex's render to texture feature as I don't have pro. You're video was interesting, did you use the pro edition to achieve that effect?
Posted By: fogman

Re: Portal Technology - 05/07/07 06:58

Quote:

You call that a portal?

See my TRUE portal...

May I ask what´s the difference between your portal and the other ones? Kihakus portal does exactly the same as yours...

As for the hl portals: That´s a stunning effect. Basically you´ll have to determine the directions of the portals.
Then apply the right forces to the touching objects.
After disapearing in the wall you have to "teleport" them between the first and the second portal. After that, use the direction to apply some new forces. That _could_ work.
Posted By: Captain_Kiyaku

Re: Portal Technology - 05/07/07 09:59

Well, ExtraCortex, let me quote you from my topic

Quote:

Quote:

ok got it to work on my portal xD had lots of problems somehow q_q

Portal WIP!!!

if someone is interested.

I'm 'loling' at your movie... watch mine:

No wonder you think so, cause you didn't see the second video later on. Next time read the topic before you laugh about people!

Working Portal View

Here you can see it's the same

Beside this, i remember mercuryus asked me once if he can help me working on passing through the portal. I had to decline, cause i was almost done with this part, and finished it later on, so it was working and you was able to walk through the portal as you wish.

It needs some tweaks cause you sometimes can see the position is moving. Since i don't need it anymore for my project, i stoped doing fine tuning, but might need it in the future

I can make a video of it later, if you wish.

So next time, don't laugh about people

Re: Portal Technology - 05/07/07 11:28

@Kihaku, i'd be interested in seeing a video, I'm trying to get a good rounded opinion of what it'd be like and how to achieve the best looking portal effect.
I've come some way with my own one in sylex now, but am having some small problems with the camera

Re: Portal Technology - 05/07/07 21:36

Quote:

Well, ExtraCortex, let me quote you from my topic

Quote:

Quote:

ok got it to work on my portal xD had lots of problems somehow q_q

Portal WIP!!!

if someone is interested.

I'm 'loling' at your movie... watch mine:

No wonder you think so, cause you didn't see the second video later on. Next time read the topic before you laugh about people!

Working Portal View

Here you can see it's the same

Beside this, i remember mercuryus asked me once if he can help me working on passing through the portal. I had to decline, cause i was almost done with this part, and finished it later on, so it was working and you was able to walk through the portal as you wish.

It needs some tweaks cause you sometimes can see the position is moving. Since i don't need it anymore for my project, i stoped doing fine tuning, but might need it in the future

I can make a video of it later, if you wish.

So next time, don't laugh about people

Very nice, i'll soon release the source code of myne, still needs a few fixes to go.

Can you help me putting the view/camera into a mdl (model) instead of a sprite like we are doing?

Re: Portal Technology - 05/08/07 05:31

I use a model for the view oO

If you mean rendering it on a skin of a model, do this:

Code:

view portalview
{
layer = -1;
flags = visible;
arc = 60;
}

action levelportal
{
portalview.bmap = bmap_for_entity(my,0);
[...]
}

Re: Portal Technology - 05/08/07 10:26

Yes, i used a code similar to your's, but the model just disappears..

Can you send me a project where a model is used to be the "tv screen"?

Thanks

Re: Portal Technology - 05/08/07 10:38

http://www.coniserver.net/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/751135/Main/751024/#Post751135

Re: Portal Technology - 05/09/07 03:07

I've also been interested in this "portal" idea...

I've been working on my own as well, which will "hopefully" support autmatically moving any object through at the right offset.

I've got the view part working [that was easy]. It dynamicly creates the views so you don't have to create all of those "view defines".

I'll post any updates on progress...
Posted By: hack-panther

Re: Portal Technology - 05/13/07 22:44

http://www.nuclearmonkeysoftware.com/narbaculardrop.html

A nice free portal-game...
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Portal Technology - 05/14/07 01:17

That's the original Portal game actually, same makers as the Valve Portal game. It shows that big game companies do understand a good game's concept when they see it, eventhough the graphics look prehistoric ,

Cheers
© 2024 lite-C Forums