auto assign action on fbx level import

Posted By: slacer

auto assign action on fbx level import - 05/31/09 09:38

Hi,

the WED FBX level importer allows to decide if an object should be loaded as block or as model.
If it is a model and there is already a script bound to the level which contains actions like "playerstart" and a model "playerstart.mdl" will be imported, it would be nice if the auto assign for actions with the same name as the imported model would work, too.

Loading the model manually assigns the action and predefined skills to this entity, but this is currently not the case with imported levels.

-- slacer
Posted By: Spirit

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/01/09 03:34

I second that, that would come handy for my project.

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/08/09 17:16

Well, is this a missing feature or a bug?
Posted By: Tobias

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/08/09 17:22

How do you activate the action auto assign? I have found nothing about that in the manual.

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/08/09 21:05

Simply create an action "viking" and load a model "viking.mdl".
This assigns the action "viking" to the entity.

It is a very old (from A6) and nice feature - if you are Tobias Runde, you should know it wink
I thought you updated the German manual at that time...

Posted By: Tobias

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/10/09 11:36

Thanx, I didn't know that (and I'm not Tobias Runde smile ).

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/10/09 17:28

oops, I checked the userlist and it seems I never realized that there are two 'Tobias' laugh

My mistake wink
Posted By: Pappenheimer

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/10/09 18:39

While talking about auto assign of an action, I think that it is even better to auto assign an action to an entity when their first 5 or so letters are equal, because then it is possible to give different entities the same action only by adding a few letters to their name.

For instance things like grass or trees often get the same action although they are different models.

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/10/09 18:56

Great idea.
There should be an option in WED to enable/disable the auto assign feature and if it should be an exact matching name or if a simple expression should be used to evaluate the action name like Pappenheimer wrote.
Posted By: jcl

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/12/09 10:06

We'll implement action assignment also for FBX levels, and I'll think about a method to make it more flexible.

Re: auto assign action on fbx level import - 06/12/09 13:11

Great! Thank you
© 2024 lite-C Forums