Lite-C utility library

Posted By: slacer

Lite-C utility library - 06/15/09 10:27

It would be nice to have a common Lite-C utility library which can be used by game developers.

Developers could benefit from such a library, because we don't need to reinvent the wheel, again and again.

Your new A7 template should use this library, too.

This helps to separate the templates from common functions and results in a cleaner code - and the library would grow quickly.
We could create tutorials based on this library and help beginners to start their own scripts without using templates.

What do you think?
If the source code for this library is accessible via SVN, updating the library would be just a button click away.

-- slacer
Posted By: jcl

Re: Lite-C utility library - 06/15/09 11:18

This is a very good idea. In fact it's so good that the first functions of the first file of that library were already written. Have a look at the feature list of the last beta version.
Posted By: dracula

Re: Lite-C utility library - 06/15/09 11:49

Excellent idea
smile
Posted By: slacer

Re: Lite-C utility library - 06/15/09 18:20

@jcl
It is great to see you are always a step ahead laugh

What do you thing about the idea of using SVN later, if there are more files?

This would allow you to update the library independend of scheduled engine updates and we could simply merge/update the files inplace.
Posted By: jcl

Re: Lite-C utility library - 06/16/09 11:41

I have my objections against SVN, mainly because most changes to the library will normally use new functions from the latest engine version. So a changed library is bound to an engine update. If a user updates through SVN, he can end up with a non working library.
Posted By: vertex

Re: Lite-C utility library - 07/08/09 13:15

"We could create tutorials based on this library and help beginners to start their own scripts without using templates."

Beginner here. I think tutorials based on the library would be great; however, tutorials must be put together, and often that's a great deal of work. If there were a requirement to utilize comments in more detail than is the normal case within each script in the library, that would go a long way without the burden of a tutorial for each script (which could be numerous).

Again,I agree tutorials would be nice as well, but more detailed comments explaining would be easier to do first.
Posted By: EvilSOB

Re: Lite-C utility library - 07/08/09 13:21

One important point of this library must be, IMHO, that the "functions" in the
library should not be TOO dependant on one another, like the old templates were.

They were all so hideously enmeshed with one another, it was not worth trying to extract
any small "part" of them you wanted to utilise/re-write.

This is a library, lets try to keep it as one....
© 2024 lite-C Forums