[Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7

Posted By: Quad

[Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/11/09 17:09

So i am making a "real" game for the first time.

Animations and the mdl7 is all fine but i have around 24 diffrent character models using same skeleton(bone names, skeleton structure etc are all same).

And then i have some animations, diffrent walkcycles, action animations etc. there are(will be) like 120 animation sequences. All sequences are using same bones and skeleton with the models too.

Now what i would like to do is being able to play this animations on model files. Let me explain:

the character model is a mdl7(girl_a.mdl) file that includes model mesh,skin,sekeleton and "only" one default pose frame.

say, i have another mdl7(walk_shared.mdl) with no mesh,no skins, only bones and animation frames. lets say i have 300 frames and 3 animations like:
1-100 walk_slow , 101-200 walk_fast, 201-300 walk_run

now what i would like to do is use that animation mdl7 on the model mdl7 like:

ent_animate2(me,"walk_shared.mdl","walk_fast",percentage,ANM_CYCLE);//or whatever funciton name you like

i have files that only has one sequence and some files has 10 sequences.(i guess even animating only one model (girl_a) and be able to use girl_a's frames on girl_b,girl_c can be acieved using same function)

i guess that would be a lot usefull to the MMO project too.

Regards, Quadraxas.
Posted By: Dark_samurai

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/11/09 17:19

It would be even better if the animations are stored in a seperate file (*.ani7 for example).
Btw. this was already discussed in the past...
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/11/09 17:58

i would also like to see this someday..
Posted By: Enduriel

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/11/09 19:16

I definately would like to see this, even the C&C Renegade (released 2002) has this and it was one of the most useful stuff during my entire modding time
Posted By: Espér

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/11/09 20:34

Would be easy for many different looking enemies, wich move all the same way. Want it too ^^
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/11/09 22:38

Oh yeah, that would be awesome, instead of making the same animation every time! laugh
Posted By: darkinferno

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/11/09 22:49

but ummm... couldnt you just export the bones animations to a text file then re import it for each model, thats what i do

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/12/09 00:33

Originally Posted By: darkinferno
but ummm... couldnt you just export the bones animations to a text file then re import it for each model, thats what i do
Oh yeah! How can we miss that! grin
Thanks for reminding me! laugh
Posted By: Enduriel

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/12/09 00:47

Originally Posted By: darkinferno

that will not skin it though afaik, what quadraxas wants is unanimated bones on each players but skinned. then the animation will be done by reading a different file which has all the animation sequences. This is good because you don't store the animations for each and every single character. This is pretty much how other major games companies are doing it aswell. it's like inheritance/derive in programming. The character models inherit/derive the animation from a different file, and the inheritance will happen by having the same name/structure on the bones. This is also good for different type of characters (tall/short/wide) since they will all work.

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/12/09 00:55

Quote:
This is also good for different type of characters (tall/short/wide) since they will all work.
Oh yeah, you're right. The ASCII export can't do that.
Posted By: jcl

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/14/09 06:32

This is a good suggestion. We'll need this anyway for the MMOG, so this will be implemented in the next time.
Posted By: Quad

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/14/09 10:21

thats good news, thanks JCL!
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/14/09 15:05

really great news, thanks laugh!!
Posted By: Warchief

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/14/09 15:34

will be good, good idea.

Re: [Feature Request] Playing animations from another mdl7 - 09/15/09 16:26

Oh yeah, that's awesome. Thanks. laugh