Skatebaording gameplay

Posted By: Shadow969

Skatebaording gameplay - 11/06/07 19:56

Well, watching EA trailers influenced my psychical state and now i can't sleep, thinking about the best way to make controls in my skateboarding game . Although earlier i've made controls identical to Tony Hawk's series, now i think it's dated, and EA Skate provides more realistic feeling of the board. So now a guestion to you - what is the best way to implement control over skater by a keyboard and a mouse? I think it would be interesting to control body with a keyboard, but feet(making flips) with a mouse - just imagine trying to perform 360 hardlip with your mouse . Then you can use mouse buttons to determine what foot do you use - LMB for left foot(flipping impossible as a goofy or kickflip as regular) and RMB for right foot(visa versa). Ollieing will be done by holding one button, releasing it(popping with tail) and pressing the second one(dragging) What do you think about it?
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Skatebaording gameplay - 11/06/07 21:40

Skate's control scheme is awesome, I'd definitely go for that if possible. You can't exactly mimic those thumbstick movements with the mouse though in my opinion. Perhaps you nee d to make it 'gamepad-only'? I don't think it's quite possible to get similar mouse control, but it's worth experimenting with for sure!

Cheers
Posted By: Doug

Re: Skatebaording gameplay - 11/09/07 01:10

Why use the LMB to ollie? Why not pull back on the mouse and push it forward (mimicking the shift in body weight to preform the same)?

You can have a lot of fun testing things...
Posted By: Shadow969

Re: Skatebaording gameplay - 11/09/07 09:27

Yes, i agree, testing will be fun for sure but the system for comparing mouse movements and determining what the player has performed will be rather complex. I think about this algorithm:
-get mouse movement speed lets say, every 0.1 second and put it into array.
-record 'perfect' trick movements, and save them into some file.
-compare the performed movement with all saved movements, if they are very similar, player performs a trick, otherwise he bails
© 2024 lite-C Forums