id-Software has been sold to ZeniMax

Posted By: Machinery_Frank

id-Software has been sold to ZeniMax - 06/26/09 09:35

id-Software is no more independent:
http://venturebeat.com/2009/06/25/the-bi...out-to-zenimax/

But it looks like they want to make more games faster now and are hiring a third team.
Posted By: Cowabanga

Re: id-Software has been sold to ZeniMax - 06/26/09 15:50

That's so.... weird. Thanks for the info anyway. smile
Posted By: William

Re: id-Software has been sold to ZeniMax - 06/26/09 17:16

Thanks for the post, another company joins a conglomerate. The entire industry is really merging these days. Unfortunate, it makes it that much harder for the small guys to compete. frown
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: id-Software has been sold to ZeniMax - 06/26/09 17:54

Who is left now of the big indies? I believe Epic and Valve are still independent. But both are quite big now and Valve became some sort of publisher themselves.

Maybe this id-deal is not that bad. The upcoming id-Tech sounds very good, can create amazing details and is multi-platform, will render in- and outdoor. So the next Elderscrolls/Oblivion or Fallout game could use id-technology.

And I have read something about RPG games of the id brands. This sounds interesting to me. We will see what happens.

They announced Doom4 and a couple of iPhone games based on their classic titles. And they want to make more games based on the "Rage" ip.
Posted By: William

Re: id-Software has been sold to ZeniMax - 06/26/09 18:09

Yep, that's the only studios I can really think of. Bioware got bought out by EA, and they were one of the last few. I do agree that playing a new elder scrolls game with ID tech would be amazing. smile
© 2024 lite-C Forums