Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize

Posted By: Toast

Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 11:03

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/8298580.stm
grin

LOL! Not that this price didn't get to questionable people yet or people getting preferred for strange reasons but I really didn't see that one coming... wink

Quote:
awarded it for "his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and co-operation between peoples".

I usually don't make such comments but - so in other words he gets one because he's the first president with a dark skin color??? At least I know of no "extraordinary efforts" making him the Mr. Peace of the year (he even hasn't been president for that long)...

Quote:
Only very rarely has a person to the same extent as Obama captured the world's attention and given its people hope for a better future

So that's the argumentation? I mean with those words? I then vote for Hitler getting one post mortem too - hell he really gave people something to believe in and hope for a better future making Obama's efforts look like child's work... crazy

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 11:47

godwin must be proud. first comment already...

anywa,y i read that too and asked myself: for what? for being there and being black? isnt that a little bit racist against all non black people? heck, angelina jolie deserves one of these before mr puppet messiah gets one.
robots... all of them... sheesh...
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 12:36

I dont take the Peace and literature nobel prices
very seriously.
Writing some "social critic" book is not the same as
making a scientific breakthough in physics or medicine.

(Obama is a good example of that. He
should not get the price currently, He might be elegible in the future
though, given what he can really move in the peace process.
You also dont give that physics nobel price for "is smart, might find
something interesting in the future")

They should rather establish Nobel prices in mathematics and computer technology.
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 12:38

He got the price not for his efforts, but for his image of representing some kind of global hope.

This seems to get worse with every new president they get to be honest, as Bush also had that 'Messiah' like approach early on.

After such high 'hopes', it will get worse from now on for sure.

I don't think Obama doesn't deserve such a price, but it is indeed a bit silly when you think about what he has accomplished so far. Some of his actions were great, but the actual results aren't there yet.

I don't understand why trying to achieve, instead of achieving actual peace is praise worthy. Easiest peace project? Pull out of Iraq.
Posted By: Damocles_

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 12:41

He got the price not for beeing so good, but
because Bush was such a sucker before him, and
he finally replaced him and his politics.

If he would have followed Clinton, the admiration
would be lower.
Posted By: Tempelbauer

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 13:25

i think he got the prize a bit too early. other scientists have to finish their research and wait years till they get the prize for their great work (like this year the founder of the digicam).
but obama got it (prepaid), before he did something very important and peaceful (as far as I know). he is just president of the usa and replaced a not so good one.

but nevertheless i hope, he will satisfy the requirements of the prize laugh
Posted By: croman

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 14:26

Well I think he could deserve this award/prize but not now. As you all said, it's too early and there are no actual results. I'd be first to give him such award as soon as he withdraws the US troops from whole Middle East. I mean, they got there and they got rid of Saddam and now boys and girls - it's time to go home. Also he could do some changes or encourage some changes in UN, do some refreshing. Work on achieving peace in other countries of the world and not only Middle East.

But withdrawing the US troops from M.E. would be sufficient...
Posted By: PigHunter

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 14:39

What a joke. They should call it the Nobel Peace Surprise.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 15:33

Auf der Lister der Kandidaten sehe ich mindestens zwei Kollegen, die es auf keinen Fall werden durften/dürfen...

There is a list of possible "winners" - two of them I would never choose...

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/0,1518,653965,00.html
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 21:26

Where is the old Obama-Mania? shocked
Posted By: ello

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 21:31

you are right.. this is simply a ridiculous joke
Posted By: amy

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 23:02

Obama himself thinks that he doesn't deserve the price but that it's a huge incentive for doing a good job. I guess this also was the main intention of the committee. Maybe they also thought that it will improve his standing in the USA a little where he currently has a very difficult time with all the ridiculous hate against him. This probably will backfire though.

@mercuryus: Of course there are people like Hitler on this list since every country can submit their own suggestions.
Posted By: Blink

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/09/09 23:35

i am actually offended by this comment.
Quote:
so in other words he gets one because he's the first president with a dark skin color???

I do not think he got it because of his SKIN COLOR!!!!

He got it because of his contribution try to open doors ot other countries moving towards world peace, instead of bullying other countries the way Bush Sr. and Jr. and their administrations have done. Now, does he deserve a Nobel Peace prize, I don't know, but he didnt select himself, so people should focus on the givers, not the recipient! and yes, I am black!!!
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 00:30

No ones saying there is something wrong with him being black but there is such thing as reverse racism where people give more to someone because they are a minority, take a look at affirmative action. Jobs should go to the best worker not to the one with the most oppression in their family tree or because they come from a specific country. I think the concern is that people see him as a better president than a white male would be simply because he's the first black man. It's not a racist thing, it's actually the opposite, it's questioning that the reason for giving him the prize isn't racist.

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 00:59

Don't be offended, Blink. All of us here have a profoundly deep love and interest in video games. This gives us unity. wink BTW, in your profile you say your occupation is, "para school teacher". I've heard of a paralegal and a paramilitary, but just what in the heck is a “para school teacher”?

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 01:06

i dont agree with they idea that he gets special treatment because he is black. he never ran a black campaign. trust me, black people in america dont get "special" treatment, or any additional benefits. welfare, and low income "benefits", and housing projects(ghettoes), were designed to keep black people contained in america. a liquor store on every corner, a corner store, a storefront church, chinese restaurants, etc. all designed by our government to keep us contained. so, saying he gets special treatment because he is a black president IS a racist comment. affirmative action is a joke and has always been a joke. ask people from other countires how they treat their minorities, and guess what, they dont have any "minorities", they have countrymen who happen to be a different skin color. I am american, a u.s. army veteran, and a loyal citizen who has never taken a government handout! its really sad when the world is so caught up in what prize Obama gets from a group that chose him, instead of thinking about the mess that the Bush and crew left us with. Obama has a lot of work to do to undo the mess that was left behind. maybe one day the world will learn to respect u's again, instead of hating us so much. truth is, i feel sorry for Obama, everytime i read headlines about his popularity declining because someone or some group not being happy about what he has done. i knew it was only a matter of time before the GOP put their mouths in it too.

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 01:09

@pighunter. it means i teach like a regular teacher, but i am not certified by the state to work in public schools. i work for a private organization who service students with behavioral and emotional issues.

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 01:15

Oh, okay. That's cool. Sounds like a difficult job though.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 01:21

I know a couple of people who do that, it is a hard job, he has to deal with some hard stuff.

as far as the reason he got it, i think people are just concerned by the way the reason was worded.

I agree with you about the affirmative action thing thats what I was saying the concept is dumb.

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 01:57

its a very difficult job. i've been doing that for 11 years, before that i worked as a group home worked servicing violent autistic children. i did that for 5 years. my current job, its rewarding as you watch the students grow and can go back to their district schools or just graduate our program.

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 07:57

Originally Posted By: Blink
Quote:
so in other words he gets one because he's the first president with a dark skin color???

I do not think he got it because of his SKIN COLOR!!!!

He got it because of his contribution try to open doors ot other countries moving towards world peace, instead of bullying other countries the way Bush Sr. and Jr. and their administrations have done. Now, does he deserve a Nobel Peace prize, I don't know, but he didnt select himself, so people should focus on the givers, not the recipient! and yes, I am black!!!

I wrote that due to the laughable argumentation as to why he got the price. He didn't do anything really making him worthy of that price. In the end it seems like he got it because his party's ad campaigns gave him the "saviour role" giving the people a good feeling while the other thing is the symbolism when looking at his skin color. Without anything really well done what else can "co-operation between peoples" mean besides him being the personified symbol for an ending of the racist thinking? So his skin color isn't really a privilege or something that made him get the price (like when deciding who of the last 3 candidates is the winner saying "Oh look he has a darker skin - let's give him the price!") but it's still used as a symbolistic reason. That's why I said that he got it due to his dark skin color as it imo was outright said that way. It bugs me a bit because such a price should be about efforts and not what genes one has or what someone might do in the future. You won't give a Nobel Prize for physics to someone who might make a good discovery in the future because he seems to be extremely clever... laugh

Still it of course isn't the first time questionable people get that price so I guess it's about time to kinda ignore that price until there are decent changes on who may get such a price and the reasons why...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: amy

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 09:03

I think what you are saying is total nonsense.

It's not because he is black and it's also not true that he hasn't done anything. If it is enough is debatable and he himself says he doesn't deserve it but so far it looks like he's seriously trying to fix the shitholes left behind by the previous presidency, nationally and internationally.

He started the dialogue with Cuba and North Korea again, he stopped the missile shield in Eastern Europe (which takes a lot a friction out of the regional conflicts with Russia), his policies are directed towards peaceful dialogues as means to resolve international conflicts,... and the two current wars weren't started by him. Suddenly backing out now won't solve anything either.

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 09:45

So you say when a state gets a new president that acts more reasonable than the one before he should be awarded? Nothing he did was "extraordinary" in any terms. Ending the missile shield was causing too much trouble, criticism and even crisis to continue it as it would destroy lots of the nuclear weapon balance which is extremely dangerous. Him supporting the nuclear disarmament also is no real effort of his because that's debated for decades now and it just happens that nowadays all parties came to an agreement - it's not that this got signed just because Obama was there...

Concerning the dialogue with Cuba and North Korea - what's so special about that? While we might debate the Cuba thing it's nothing special in terms of North Korea especially with this again not being an Obama-only topic but something with multiple nations involved...

He's done nothing at all justifying to be enlisted with people who really have done something great or dedicate their manpower for something good rather than showing good promise of being a better president than his predecessor...

Enjoy your meal
Toast
Posted By: badapple

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/10/09 10:09

just becomeing president , is extra ordinary in itself , and a couple other presidents have won the nobel just for being a peace minded presidents . granted that was a long time ago but it has happened before.
Posted By: spaceguy76

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/12/09 20:32

Originally Posted By: amy
I think what you are saying is total nonsense.

It's not because he is black and it's also not true that he hasn't done anything. If it is enough is debatable and he himself says he doesn't deserve it but so far it looks like he's seriously trying to fix the shitholes left behind by the previous presidency, nationally and internationally.

That doesn't fly anymore. Most people who bothered to look into the housing crisis which is what greased the US economies race to the bottom had dems blocking every attempt to stop it from happening for 6 years.
Posted By: zeusk

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/12/09 20:46

Originally Posted By: Blink

im black and i dont think he really deserves it.
Posted By: Ran Man

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/15/09 03:17

He's expanding the WAR in Afghanistan and making more violence there, so that makes him a definite

Man of Peace

grin

lol, haha, just joking
Posted By: sPlKe

Re: Obama wins 2009 Peace Nobel Prize - 10/15/09 12:23

for once in his life ran man is right...

also:
i just signed a paper that prevents me from ever going to war with any nation whatsoever in this world. the paper was writen by my cat.

does i gets prize now?
© 2024 lite-C Forums