g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested?

Posted By: Liamissimo

g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/19/11 20:46

Hey friends,

I recently launched a new project, g.i.t.s OS (give it to strangers OS) and I want to know if anybody would be interested in a CD? I am giving away one and thought of you at first. I just C/P the text from the website here, for further impressions go to www.gitsos.com

I ship them to anywhere in the world for free.
Quote:
g.i.t.s. OS - What is it?

g.i.t.s. OS is an attempt and stands for "give it to strangers operating system". The name is what you have to do:
After you've started the program you can enter your current position as well as a comment (like your twitter name or so). It'll be uploaded to this server and you can read your entry.

The most intresting part is the next step:
Give the CD to a stranger or a person you think he might like the idea
Of course it would be great if this person doesn't live in the same city you live in so it is getting more interesting to trace where the CD is at the moment.

Let us spread the world with those 5 CDs and see where the trace ends!

Liam Schnell

Posted By: PadMalcom

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/19/11 23:08

Is it a real operating system? I'd neither start a CD I got from a stranger nor would I boot an OS which might play with my harddrive!
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/19/11 23:32

Same here. Also, if its a real OS, does it support EFI?
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 02:02

Quote:
I'd neither start a CD I got from a stranger nor would I boot an OS which might play with my harddrive!

I would start it... In a VM, behind some firewalls. wink
Posted By: TechMuc

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 02:49

come on people.. does anyone of you really read posts? I admit it's not the best name for such an "message in a bottle" game in a modern variant.. but.. hey..

to be honst: it took me around 3 minutes to get what he wants.. oO

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 09:16

Originally Posted By: Redeemer
I would start it... In a VM, behind some firewalls. wink

I'd do the same with an ISO, but not with a real CD.

Originally Posted By: TechMuc
come on people.. does anyone of you really read posts? I admit it's not the best name for such an "message in a bottle" game in a modern variant.. but.. hey..

What I think it is is: He sends out a CD (the bottle) which contains something bootable which is able to get an IP address via DHCP and then opens a TCP connection to his server which then creates a new database entry saying "Hey, User X got the CD".
That would be cool on nerdy way... but still, I wouldn't boot a CD from a stranger.
Posted By: Rei_Ayanami

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 09:36

Its no OS,its just a cmd-exe that is, afaik win only... (at least, thats what i got)

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 10:20

Then why is it labeled as OS?!

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 15:56

give it to a strangersssssssssssssssssss operating system.
Give it to an operating system of a stranger..
Posted By: Slin

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 15:58

Quote:
g.i.t.s OS (give it to strangers OS)

There is no "a"
Posted By: Lukas

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 15:59

No, that would be spelled "a stranger's". But the is no a and no ' so it's plural.

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 16:03

even though your explanation is correct lukas, i bet 10 bucks that he meant what i've written tongue

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 16:42

Lukas's explanation makes a bit more sense but I can't imagine why anyone would say "give my OS a CD" and not just "give me a CD"

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 23:06

TechMuc, you just lost ten bucks frown

I just labeled it OS because I thought it suits the program as you use it like the old windows dos with different commands.

In fact, it is just an .exe on a CD.

One CD is now in Mittweida (http://www.hs-mittweida.de/) the other one was for Heiko Klinge (Gamestar/makinggames)

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 23:14

Quote:
In fact, it is just an .exe on a CD.

than i won 10 bucks? confusing stuff

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/20/11 23:18

No. Or do you say "Here is a CD for your operating system"?

Maybe I also don't get the point, but the abbreviation is right in my first post laugh

Edit: And no, this has nothing to do with a message in a bottle. I want to trace the cds to see how people are sharing them although you can leave a comment online
Posted By: Lukas

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/21/11 10:55

But how do you know no one just uploads an ISO of your CD so everyone can just download and run it?

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/21/11 12:11

I believe in the human race!

In other words, I just hope that no-one will do this, but of course you can just copy the exe from the cd. Anyway, that would destroy the idea and I just hope people won't do this laugh

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/21/11 14:08

Quote:
I want to trace the cds to see how people are sharing them although you can leave a comment online

That's a neat idea. I would be happy to participate (I trust you enough not to throw evil things on the disc), but I'm a cheapskate and I don't feel like paying $15 to ship it somewhere else when I'm done with it.

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/21/11 20:46

No problem, I'll pay the shipment to you and you just give it to people you know or so, no need to ship it anywhere. Would you PM me with your adress? laugh

Re: g.i.t.s. OS - Anybody interested? - 08/22/11 00:01

Sounds good - I might be able to pawn it off onto my sister's boyfriend some time. But he's technically capable like us so he'll probably be wary of it and he might refuse it...

Anyway, PM'd.
© 2024 lite-C Forums