So, that Quote on the mainpage

Posted By: Error014

So, that Quote on the mainpage - 09/18/13 19:21

You know the one?

Quote:
An excellent tool to quickly prototype and develop 3D graphics applications

From Dr. Dobb's Journal?

I figured, hey, you may be interested in the article behind that?
It's here, though that doesn't load for me. Google Cache version is here.

It's more than 13 years old. So if you read this, hey, you may have been a baby back when those words were written. Or maybe you weren't even born yet! Crazy to think about!

Quote:
The general-purpose A4 3D engine is both fast and flexible

Whoa, awesome
Posted By: WretchedSid

Re: So, that Quote on the mainpage - 09/18/13 19:30

Quote:
Clayton uses it to build a typical three-room world that includes actor movements.

See, so much for computer games not progressing: Nowadays you also get achievements for going into the next room laugh
Posted By: FBL

Re: So, that Quote on the mainpage - 09/18/13 21:42

And it's not rooms anymore but long passages wink
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: So, that Quote on the mainpage - 09/19/13 01:11

Win32 for the win!
Posted By: Redeemer

Re: So, that Quote on the mainpage - 09/19/13 03:34

Dr. Dobb's Journal was awesome. It ended when I was a little kid, but my dad kept stacks of them around and when I was older I enjoyed reading them now and again. You can still find good bits in there occasionally, and of course there is also the nostalgia factor involved with seeing what software development was like when I was barely old enough to use a computer myself.

EDIT: Just saw this "feature" listed in the article:
Quote:
* Unlimited level change.

Because A4 isn't like those other engines which can only change a few levels before they break. tongue

EDIT2: So apparently Dr. Dobb's Journal is still going, and I didn't know it. Awesome. Though now it's just a monthly PDF, which is not so awesome. Does anyone know why it's declined so much? Its wikipedia article doesn't say much.
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: So, that Quote on the mainpage - 09/19/13 07:23

Error014 , nice to see you're still here laugh

I remember when I started with A4. It was very powerful engine back then, because there wasnt much competition. Now , almost every engine that comes out supports the same things like the other engines and Acknex cant shine...
But in my eyes it remains the most universal and powerful thing I've seen in computer programming.
© 2024 lite-C Forums