is gamestudio worth buying?

Posted By: harleyb12

is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 03:30

i know this is kinda stupid to ask but is it worth it to buy gamestudio?
Posted By: Rad_Daddy

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 03:48

Well, what are you planning to do with the engine? What are your expectations?

Regards,
Raddaddy
Posted By: FeiHongJr

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 04:10

Id say yes, even if you dont plan to make a commercial game. Or even make any games. I have a ton of fun with 3dgs and never made any games. Of course I orginally planned to make one but just dont have the time or energy to put in what it takes.

It teaches you alot and in my opinion its a blast learning stuff. Not only that when you play video games you start to see them in a whole new perspective. Latley every game I play im end up dead a few seconds later because im too busy trying to figure out how they did this or that or looking at textures, level geometry or models.

Even if you only get the standard edition which cost the same price as most video games. Ive been using 3dgs for around 3 years or so... Not too many games get played for that long. So I think its deffinately worth the investment. Download the demo if you havent allready.

However if you think youll be making some awesome game in a month or two then you got another thing comin
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 06:08

Is GameStudio worth buying , if your interested in game development , then obviously yes. It's a complete game development suite with a pretty powerfull 3d game engine , and it's pretty cheap.

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 13:19

im actually planning to work hard at this and make a game. mabey even publish it

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 13:54

Thats great and I wish you the best of luck... My best advice I can give is to have fun... As long as your doing that it will never be a waste.
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 13:58

It's an excellent tool for a beginner and can go quite far for evern someobody who has been around for awhile.
Posted By: Rad_Daddy

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 14:17

Quote:

im actually planning to work hard at this and make a game. mabey even publish it

I am going to tell you know, it will take you several months, probably years, to learn enough to publish a game. If you are willing to work at it it, then that is good. However, dont expect too much within the first few months, especially if this is your first look at game design.

Since you didnt really give me anything as far as criteria or expectations, it is a good engine all around. It handels both indoor and outdoor levels nicely, and is indeed good for the beginner designer, because it is a package of all the major tools you will need to get started, aside from perhaps photoshop.

However, it has its downfalls. It is not as fast as commercial engines, but indie engines rarely are. Also, if you buy the standard edition, you are fairly limited; you can see all of the specs on the gamestudio website.

For publishing, you can do this with any version. However, unless you buy pro (800$ i think), you cant compress your files into one executable file. This means anyone can open, modify, and rebuild your game. However, there are ways to get around this. There are 3rd party compressors, and you can scramble your code so that it is extreamly hard to read.

Also, if you buy the standard edition, you must display a small wattermark, A6, in one of the corners throughout the game.

Hope this helps,
Raddaddy

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/23/06 14:34

Quote:

Also, if you buy the standard edition, you must display a small wattermark, A6, in one of the corners throughout the game.

This is true. I had used standard for the first year or so. The watermark isnt very big but is an eye sore. (I really think conitec should change it)

Id go with at least extra... its not much more. Alot of the perks commercial has can be worked around.. and well 899 dollars for pro is just insane unless you know for sure youll be making money back.

extra doesnt have bones animation but if you can use blender you can easily rig and animate your models there and export them to vertex animation... as Im sure you can do in other modeling packages too.

You are missing shaders as well but if you get to a point where you think your game might be going commercial you can allways update and add all the bells and whistles later.

However in defense of standard its a very good place to begin learning and again you can allways update if you decide your going to stick with it. There is a slight price increase updating from standard to commercial but its only like 10 dollars more then if you bought com up front.
Posted By: Stormking

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/25/06 01:19

One of the big benifits of 3d gamestudio is that fact its packed with good tools and is quite versitle when it comes to the genre of game you wish to design. I have had my standard edition for 1 1/2 years or so and I have began and then scrapped 4 or 5 games now. The great thing tho is that I have this awsome authoring tool anytime at my disposal. I have great faith in the engine and now with the pre-made scripts, it cuts creation time down alot.

Some time I may get there with a game I'm content with but to answer your question, Its well worth the investment.

I hope this helps.
Posted By: cartoon_baboon

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/25/06 20:53

Quote:

However, unless you buy pro (800$ i think), you cant compress your files into one executable file. This means anyone can open, modify, and rebuild your game. However, there are ways to get around this. There are 3rd party compressors, and you can scramble your code so that it is extreamly hard to read.

Does anyone know one of these 3rd party compressors? I haven't been able to find it and I don't really want a published game of mine being "an open book"

PS: This was not intended to be some sort of thread hijack.
Posted By: D3D

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/25/06 21:09

Personaly I use Molebox to protect published projects. Works very good! but, it's commercial software. If you like to have a free packager, then maybe: Nacasi

Dusty
Posted By: nifty

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/25/06 21:12

I use molebox to pack my resource files. You can also use nacasi (it's free), but a lot of virus scanners will see it as a virus.

As for my recommendation for buying 3DGS, I say YES if you are a novice, or don't know any programing. The GS community is strong, and there are many codes contributed from experienced people.

If you are already expeienced in C++ programming, you should look here:
http://www.devmaster.net/engines/
Posted By: thegamedesigner

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/25/06 21:18

It is really what you want, that matters here. I own gamestudio pro and torque + a bunch of addons, I have used genisis11 and hammer, and before it was called that, worldcraft, the starcraft and warcraft3 map editors, quake2 and 3 modding, ect.

They are all good in one major way or another for learning to be a game designer. Anywhere from learning to design maps/chars/campaigns to selling games.

For making and selling your own game, I would choose gamestudio. Unless its a multiplayer project, then I think I would advise torque. But only for the multiplayer, if your project is single player, no question, I would go gamestudio.

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/26/06 02:33

sorry for not repling for so long been busey i have to get something off my chest im only 12 yrs old. ive mastared the art of creating 2d games and ive wanted to move on for i while. my dads finally ganna pay me my money this weekend ive earned for working. 500$ dollars im buying extra and i want to make game programming my life im a very advenced student im in 7th grade and im in a 8th 9th grade math class. thanks for encuraging me to get this. oh and also is windows 98 SE the same thing as window 98 second edition im pretty sure it is but i just wanted to be sure
Posted By: nifty

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/26/06 04:02

Yes SE = second edition.
Posted By: msl_manni

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/29/06 04:58

My advice for you is that you buy the commercial edition. It's the best deal if you can afford it. And it would be best for you as you can check the best features of 3dgs. I hope that you will be able to grasp the nitty-gritty of working in 3d in no time as you already have experience of 2d. I too started in 2d and when I started to work in 3d, I was able to handle 3d maths in no time. So you will be seeking new features and be able to play with the advance features that 3dgs has to offer.
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/29/06 19:55

Quote:

i know this is kinda stupid to ask but is it worth it to buy gamestudio?

I think so
but you could ask the same question about photoshop or anything else
depends on you
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/29/06 21:46

Try the demo and see for yourself, it ultimately depends on how good you get in using the program and it's language. I'd go with the commercial version and decide later wether or not to upgrade.

But to be really honest with you, you'll have to start with learning the basics of 3dgs anyway and those can be learned with any edition, so pick your choice if your budget is a problem, eventhough you'll be wanting the commercial edition sooner or later.

Cheers
Posted By: JetpackMonkey

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/29/06 22:45

Yeah.. I wish I had bought commercial first, rather than having upgraded from Extra. Wouldn't it be nice if Extra replaced Standard? Standard sounds //so// impractical.
Posted By: Alberto

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 09/30/06 11:16

I have tested several game engines
I choosed 3dgs because :

stability - user friendly programming language - integrated level editor -
reasonably advanced features - real multipurpose engine -large comunity

Some other engines are better than 3dgs for some specific tasks for exampòe rendering - phisics - etc but no other engine can offer all the above features, as far as I know
Posted By: thegamedesigner

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/22/06 20:59

I belive that Torque with all the options is cheaper then the pro of gamestudio, but one big thing is how genius you are, and how much work ethic you have.

I started coding in gamestudio when I was 13 and I had tried genius3d and c and c++ first (which were too complex to let me gamedesign anything but textbased stuff), plus a bunch of click and drag type game engines (which were too simple to let me do what I wanted). Which is why I picked gamestudio, its code was about the right level to learn at that time. I would not have stuck it through, based on my work ethic at the time, with C++ to get to the point where I could make 3d hotseat games (which is what I made from 13 to 14 years old).

Torque, although it says it has a script, this is more like the templates, and you need to code in C++ to get anything done. Genius 3d I belive is all C++, but very easy click and drag level design and multiplayer deathmatch (its also free).

thegamedesigner.
Posted By: lostclimate

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/23/06 02:27

Quote:

It teaches you alot and in my opinion its a blast learning stuff. Not only that when you play video games you start to see them in a whole new perspective. Latley every game I play im end up dead a few seconds later because im too busy trying to figure out how they did this or that or looking at textures, level geometry or models.

LOL i know what you mean, and it makes games seem either all the more spectacular or a lot less than the hype because you know how much it actually takes to make each part, lol, my best friend keeps getting pissed about it when i pick out all the technical detail when we play a game
Posted By: juszczec

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/23/06 12:36

IMO, yes.

GameStudio is, basically, and IDE. IDEs have gotten big in the programming industry because they allow someone with a not very in depth knowledge of a given language to quickly write/debug/maintain code.

I don't know anything about game programming. But I've got the basic parts of a racing game done for my son. No, it won't win any awards and I probably couldn't give it away let alone sell it. But I think that's a limitation imposed by my abilities (or lack of) than GS.

Bottom line, I never pay for software. If you can't find Open Source or freeware that already does the job, just wait a few months. When I do have to buy software, I never pay full price. Ebay is your friend.

But after months of research, trying a variety of free/demo game IDEs, I decided to buy GameStudio. Its easy to use and comes with a wealth of resources (this forum and all the links to tutorial, models, terrain etc).

Mark
Posted By: FoxHound

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/25/06 14:40

I was playing "Midnight racing 3" the other day with a friend, the car crashed through the ground and went into open space, i said "looks like the collison detection messed up there" and I was then asked to translate that to english. Made me laugh as that seems like a word i've known my whole life.
Posted By: Noob65

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/25/06 14:54

Foxhound..your website is down, can't access it. What kind of rates are you charging?

Noob65
Posted By: anonymous_alcoho

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/25/06 22:41

I'll tell you why I picked gamestudio:

It was on the top of a list of developers in Alpha-numerical order.

But seriously, I wanted a game-making program that was easy to use and affordable. Gamestudio was both. I downloaded the trial, started messing around with it and really got into it. So I bought it and i've enjoyed working with it ever since

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/26/06 12:55

Well AA, I downloaded the demo too last week and messed around with it. It was fun, then I tried the tutorial and it was not matching the version of the demo, so I had to scrap it. It appears to be easy to work with and should be suitable for what I intend to create. Just have some questionmarks for the model import and animation of such. Another thing that I'm trying to figure out is the scale of the boxes in MED and WED.

Noob65
Posted By: MDI

is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/26/06 13:03

Ehem in Latvia video games pay only from 2.5 til 5 Lats And this programm for Latvians is quite expensive!! But if you bought this!! Thats be warthwile!
Posted By: nipx

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/26/06 16:54

Scaling a block with WED is quite easy:

-> select a block -> right mouse button -> propertis -> position -> enter your new size

nipx

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/26/06 17:11

Thanks Nipx,

I figured that too, but what does 1 box represent? Cm, Inches, Millimeters? Or you scale it anyway you want? The templates are sized in what system, metric?

Just trying to get an idea of how big a map can be designed.

Noob65
Posted By: nipx

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/26/06 17:58

Manual says:
Quote:

Space and time units of the virtual world are the quant and the tick . One quant is equivalent to one unit in WED and MED coordinates, and therefore one texture pixel at a 1.0 scale. How much inches a quant shall be depends on the relative size of the models. We recommend one inch per quant for person based games (shooters or adventures), and 4 inches per quant for vehicle based games (war games or flight simulators). This way with the same level size you get much bigger worlds. One tick is equivalent to 1/16 second - the average time between two frame cycles on a very low-end PC.

nipx

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/26/06 18:31

Thanks Nipx,

I don't have the priviledge to read the manual since I haven't bought A6 yet. But now I have a better understanding of the whole scale thing.

Noob65
Posted By: PHeMoX

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/27/06 12:04

I assume you are honest (as in not using a warez version) and that you are using the demo. If so, then as far as I know there's no reason why you wouldn't be allowed to read the manual.

Download the manual here ..

Cheers

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/27/06 12:17

Thanks Phemox,

What's warez? I didn't know you can read the manual without purchasing the software first. Thanks for the link.

Noob65

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/27/06 15:49

Warez is stolen software, like if I were to download A6 Pro off of [censored] or Limewire. Since I didn't pay for the liscense, I stole the program and am now using illegal software, known as warez.

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/27/06 16:24

Thanks AA,

it just shows how much I got to learn..lol

Noob65

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/27/06 20:04

Why is Kaza_a censored?

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/27/06 20:21

Who? What censor?

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/27/06 20:49

look in my post on warez. they censored Ka zaa on me. Why?

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/27/06 21:01

Oh I see what you mean, I think it's b/c you are telling people where to get A6 without paying.

Noob65
Posted By: TFitty_Games

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/28/06 03:54

gamestudio is awesome, i was trying to figure out how people make games for ever then i found gamestudio and they gave me everything i needed to know to make a solid game, im still a newbie but im learning...im 15 so learning c-script is takin me a while.

Re: is gamestudio worth buying? - 10/28/06 16:32

Quote:

Oh I see what you mean, I think it's b/c you are telling people where to get A6 without paying.

Noob65

I dunno. Warez A6 Pro is a piece of junk. it never works for some reason. Everytime someone got caught with warez A6 Pro on these forums, they always had a different version number (I remember in the A5 days it was A5.203 or something like that) and none of the Pro features worked. So its actually better to pay 899 for A6 Pro than get the crappy illegal version off of [censored] and since you can only get crap off Ka zaa, why censor it? Censoring not gonna stop the piracy.

Besides, last time I used [censored], my computer got 760 viruses at once. DON'T use Ka zaa, EVER.

And a side note, current warez version is A6.20.2
© 2024 lite-C Forums