Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6

Posted By: Noob65

Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/05/06 17:29

1. Can I create a multiplayer on-line game with this software?
2. Can I render life like characters with it?
3. Is there any restrictions to the details of a character?
4. Do I need any other softwares to create shadings, characters like Maya?
5. Is there any limits on how to control the movements of a character. In other words is it possible to control pretty much any body part..like for example lift left arm?

I appreciate any input from anyone. I have this idea in my head and I've never done any programming of any kind so it's very hard to figure out where to start.

Thanks a bunch

Noob65
Posted By: anonymous_alcoho

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/05/06 18:59

1. While you can make multiplayer, you cannot make in-browser games. Maybe there is a dll somewhere. idk
2. No, this is not a modeling program and MED isn't good enough.
3. There are restrictions to the detail. A model can only have so many polygons before it begans to ruin the framerate. Likewise, there can only be so many models before the framerate begans to drop. The more detail, the harder the engine has to work, the slower the game performs.
4. Yes, you will need a good modeling program at the very least to go along with Gamestudio. I use gameSpace, but to each his own. Shaders can be used by 3rd party or programmed via c-script.
5. There are no limits to controlling various body parts. You either make all body parts separately and animate them seperately and use a script to attach them or you animate the whole model, but that would be many animations.

Start slowly. When you program, take it step by step. For example, if I want to make the character walk, I make him move first. Once i've got that down, I add collision detection. I add key commands. I then add animations. And I keep building up until I have my final product.

Also, do tutorials and experiment. Best way to learn.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/05/06 19:43

Thanks for your answers. A couple of follow up questions if you don't mind.
1. Multiplayer game feature is only server based? Would be ok I guess.
2. Gamestudio is not good for character rendering? Or it's just not capable?
3. But if the game map is fairly small more details can be added, right? Or am I wrong in my thinking?
4. Using 3rd party software sounds complicated and likely to create conflicts.
5. Would you recommed using drop down menues to control motion or keyboard/mouse?

Again, thanks a bunch.

Noob65

P.S. how experienced are you in programming?
Posted By: Shaba1

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/05/06 22:00

I do not think you can make multiplayer games without the Commercial or Professional versions. At least from what I can see on the version comparison chart
Posted By: Rad_Daddy

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/05/06 22:12

What quality level are you going for. For inde game designers, in my opinion, 3DGS is perfect. It is, more or less, all inclusive. The model editor, is fairly basic, but gets the job done nicely. C-script is easy to get the hang of, yet there is always something to learn.

I have heard, from this forum, that multiplayer games are troublesome with GS. LAN games should not be extreamly difficult, but internet games, with servers, can get tricky.

Using 3d party software is not as sketchy as it sounds. There are import programs for most major formats, some are in the model editor itself. I would actually suggest 3d party software, if you are really going for a high quality game.

The game can be, more or less, as high of quality as you want. You just need to pick a target machine, and design around its specs. You will not be able to run a very poly-intense game on a 733Mhz P3. However, if your target is a 2.4 Ghz P4 with 1GB ram, you can get pretty creative. The limit is your skil and creativity, and maybe the market if you are designing to sell.

Regards,
Raddaddy
Posted By: Lion_Ts

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/05/06 22:29

1. yes
2. photorealistic characters isn't possible in any realtime game engine for now. look in 'showcase' and 'let's rock A6' for screenshots of current projects.
3. search over the forum and look into the WIKI for 'fps optimizing' or alike.
4. What conficts? In mind?
5. Depends on your project type, etc.
Posted By: Grimber

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/05/06 22:47

1. yes you can but don;t expect to do so right away or that it to be easy. Don;t expect to find step by step how to on this either. multiplayer is one of these that some try but most give up on it because of complexity and lack of teamwork

2. this is a game engine, not an animation studio package system. model animation is just one part of the overall system. the more you expect from one aspect, the more you have to sacrific on others to maintain balance
so, yes it scapable, but mabey not to the point some people expect ( your not going to make an animated movie complex level character in a game, not even game consoles can do that)

3. again its about balance. the more into the a single model you go, the more you have to sacrifce elsewhere ( but there is a maximum limit that is based on hardware and windows operating system)

4. depends, on you. good paint program is helpful. everything else is up to you if you THINK you need them or not. also then its your responsability about compatability issues or not.

5. not realy. depends on what you have in mind and just how much work your willing to put into it

3DGS is used by many people/companies for things OTHER than games, its not a matter of what it can do based on preconcived ideas, but what you put into it. Expectations without unbiased examination usualy end up being grumbles and disapoitments later on.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. no Multiplayer can be server, LAN, for 'traditional multiplayer'. single system multiplayer (turnbased or split screen ) is easily doable as well)

2. again, its in the details/complexity and what you put into it is your limitations

3. game maps/levels arn't models ( though can be made of them). again size is based on just how complicated you make things ( what LOOKS complex in a game usualy isn't so). Technicaly, there is no level size limits, realisticly it depends again on what you do IN the level, your design, construction visual effects, models(characters and static objects)... again balance is teh key

4. not always. meny people using 3DGS use many varied 3rd party applications. some have no issues, while others you see are struggling often. usualt those that struggle are just lacking proper information or steps on conversions, importing/exporting for compatability. SOme things the engine just is not ment to do. such as WEB based browser play, its not a java engine

5. that again is entirely up to you. you can find many game theory articals just on user interfacing around the web and in books. its realy dependent on the what your making and the point of view the player has to the game enviroment and what would be the most intuitive and natrual for control/interfacing

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 12:55

Thanks for all the replies, I think I got some clue on what's involved now. Does anyone know of any good software for creating in-browser based games?

Again thanks to you all for the insighful information.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 13:40

Oh, I forgot to ask the key question.

What is the fastest way to learn programming an advanced multiplayer on-line game that is server based? Something that's similar to 'Americas Army', but it's not a shooter game.

I realize it takes a team to build something that big, but in a smaller version to start.

I liked the screenshots made with Gamestudio, some looked really realistic.

Thanks again,

Noob65
Posted By: Why_Do_I_Die

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 14:00

If you wanna learn programming learn programming , you ever heard of C++ ?
As for gamestudio makign life like characters and the like , GameStudio is NOT the Unreal 3 Engine , or the Offset Engine , gamestudio costs $49 - $899 (depending on the version you buy) not $500,000. Be more realistic about what you expect to get for your money. Now , as incredible as this may sound , theres actually a plugin for gamestudio called Sphere , which allows you to make games that look pretty much as good as the Xbox360 games , and Its also very cheap , only $30 if I remember correctly , you should check it out if your looking to make a top of the line game. About the multiplayer coding , I cant help you with that one , but u should be able to get plenty of info on the subject if you search on it , though a small version of a multiplayer game like americas army you can do with the gamestudio built in multiplayer , dont know about a big and comlpex system though.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 14:15

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about getting the A6Pro for $899. I just want to make sure I get the right software for what I want to create. Don't want to waste time by half way through the project realizing that it can't be done unless I use a different tool.
I have heard of C++, and Java...the big question is how big is the learning curve.

Some of the screenshots on this Forum are incredible, would a character in such a detailed environment be as detailed using Gamestudio A6Pro?

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 15:15

Quote:

Some of the screenshots on this Forum are incredible, would a character in such a detailed environment be as detailed using Gamestudio A6Pro?

A6 Pro cannot make characters, but it can display them, so yes. But a detailed character in a detailed environment would run slower and would possibly not work on lower-end machines, depending on the level of detail. There is a balance between level of detail and the speed of the game (FPS). You want an FPS minimum of 30 so your level of detail cannot exceed what would produce a game of less than 30 FPS otherwise it begans to be choppy. Example, a forest with 10000 low-polygon trees may run at 30 FPS. But a forest of 10000* high poly trees won't. A forest of 40 high poly trees might run at 30FPS but a forest of 1000 high poly trees will not. Its a balance between the number of models, the number of polygons in the model, the number of particals and the number of running functions and many other factors against the frame rate. The design of the game is based around getting a framerate of 30 fps or higher. If your framerate drops and begans to lag, you have to start sacrificing detail, reducing the particle effects, using fewer entities, and so on and so forth. Search for the "What Makes A Good FPS" thread that I posted about a month or so ago.

*note, the numbers are just randomly from the top of my head. They aren't tested, just there to give a general idea. actual limit of models is 4096.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 15:28

Again great info..thanks. So what software do you recommend to create characters with? I assume the bone rendering type is the way to go.

When it comes to details in game, can't a settings menu be used for the end user to adjust details to fit his/her machine. Looking at America's Army game again, they have a very detailed settings menu to adjust various effects.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 15:49

Quote:

can't a settings menu be used for the end user to adjust details to fit his/her machine. Looking at America's Army game again, they have a very detailed settings menu to adjust various effects

Yes, with good programming, settings can be modified by the user. This will broaden the number of machines that can run the game. However, the balance of detail/framerate still applies. Allowing the player to set those settings is simply a strategy to try to balance the ratio on a specific computer.

I use gameSpace but its a somewhat buggy program and its complicated. But its free (for low-poly models, 650 faces or less) and if you can figure out how to use it and remember to save after every few steps, its pretty good. 299 for the full deal which has no restrictions.

Most professionals use 3ds Max but last I check, the price was in the range of $3500. There is also Maya and Blender and Wings3d to consider. All of which can be used with Gamestudio provided that you have the proper plugin which can be found if you ask on the forum or search the d-load page.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 16:12

Thanks again,

A plug-in, what is that? Is that some type of bridge software to import/export parts? Reading the Forum have opened up a whole new world of lingo that I can't understand. Trying catch up and I think I got a grip on a great deal of it, but there are a lot of new things.

I looked at the Maya software and like their renditions of characters. Is there any pro's and con's I should be aware of in this field of software? A6Pro, as far as I can see so far seems to be the best program out there. Or is there any one who knows of anything better. I don't mind paying for the software as long as it does what I want it to. Of course I'm not going to spend a fortune on it, but a descent amount if it's fair game.

Noob65
Posted By: Grimber

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 16:27

one thing is do NOT expect a model you make/see in Maya or Lightwave or another modeling program to look the same in a game engine.

these tools have differnt methods of rendering ( drawing) the object. its not unusualy to see people comment that they made a model in such-in-such modeling package but by the time they got it into an engine it didn't look the same.

terminology/lingo isn't too hard to pick up, what DOES take time is skill AND the uderstanding of the principles of developing a game and the work involved.
It's not just click a few options and select an object here or there and presto you have a game.

think of this analogy. you get an engine and a car frame and a bunch of misclanious parts you ahve no idea what they are for or what they do. then you get some stock fiberglass, sheetmetal, bulk steel and aluminum and allot of other raw materials. rent or buy a shop. get many tools many fo which you many or may not have ever used or even know how to use. Now, go build a formula 1 race car. If you don;t know how, well you get help or you take allot of time learning and practicing to build up the knowlage and skills to even BEGIN to make a car. you may have to build several go carts and other easier cars before you are ready to tackle that formula 1.

thats sort of like what independant game development is.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 17:05

Thanks for your input, it was very helpful.
I think I understand the complexity of the programming even if I don't have the knowledge to create anything yet. I get your point of starting small to get used to the ins and outs. I think I can use that approach with my idea and build from that.
I think the user interface I want is the hardest part, since it's suppose to be a multiplayer on-line game.
Anyone know how to create individual profiles? I guess menu based would be the easiest way.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 18:47

Quote:

one thing is do NOT expect a model you make/see in Maya or Lightwave or another modeling program to look the same in a game engine.

Nonetheless, you can expect it to look good in the engine and it can be refined via shaders.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 19:20

I'm trying to figure one thing out that have bugged me. You say A6Pro can't create characters only display them. Why do they have a bone animator if they can't create? So you need a software like Maya to create and then import that to A6 so it can display it?

Thanks for any clarifications.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 19:32

A6 Pro can create characters in MED. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I was thinking about WED. However, MED isn't very powerful. IMHO, I hate MED. But med can be used for modeling. In WED, you place the model, and after you compile the level, the engine will show the model when its in view of the level's camera.

MED can create models (characters, tanks, guns, etc) but WED cannot. As Grimber said in another forum, WED is used to build the level and put everything together (scripts, models, levels, etc) and MED is used to create models/terrains.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 19:40

thanks for that..you really helped me out there. You said the engines camera would pick up the character when it enters the level, is that the same for FPS type of game? Can I use both? For example can it record the action from multiple camera angles (for review later)as well as being a FPS type?

I'm slowly putting the pieces together and starting to get a pretty clear picture of what needs to be done.

Again thanks to all of you for taking the time to explain this.

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 20:06

Not quite what I meant. I was just saying if the camera is facing the model, it will be on screen. Thats all. There can be multiple views, but thats a complex issue. I've never needed it and therefore I don't know much about that.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 20:19

And making the camera record would be difficult. It might even require a plugin.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/06/06 20:23

yes I can see that's a complicated issue, not a priority, but it sure would make the game a lot cooler.

Does anyone know if there is such plug-in available?

Thanks again AA,

Noob65
Posted By: The0ne

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/09/06 00:03

Dont forget if your new to the world of game design and programming, then you seriously need to maybe try "Pong" or "Space Invaders" before tackling a game project like this. I been in school (westwood) game design for 1yr 4 months, and guess what, I still wouldnt try anything like that. Multiplayer = high server cost ! Im not being mean, as I highly encourage you to pursue your idea, and complete it. I will be the first to play it! Good luck

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/09/06 12:18

Thanks for your input, and yes, it's a huge project and I'm sure I'm way in over my head. But I'm driven and convinced that this game would be the game of the Century. Sounds cocky I know, but it has the ingredients for a #1 hit.
I might end up creating a team of expert programmers to achive a faster result.
What I'm trying to get an understanding about is the limits of programming functionality.

Noob65
Posted By: The0ne

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/09/06 16:33

You can take programming as far as your programming knowledge will let you. The engine is there to make your life easier, from what I have seen here though multiplayer is not where this engine shines. As long as you have a good lay out, and a good idea of what your gonna do with your game, some concept art, you may succeed in recruiting a team. Where a lot of developers go wrong though, is trying to make a "game on the fly". Just take your time, do your proper beta test, and you'll succeed.

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/09/06 17:21

Thanks theOne, which software would you choose for a multi-player game? If GS is not the best which is?

Noob65

Re: Newbie questions about Gamestudio A6 - 10/16/06 13:33

Have anyone tried Unreal?

Noob65
© 2024 lite-C Forums