What is C-script capible of?

Posted By: juggalo10101

What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 00:30

Hello, i am a 13 year onld wanting to make my own games. I have experience on coding, i know php, javascript, html and basic.

Can c-script pretty much make any game a human could want? Is it very flexible is what im asking.
Posted By: Damocles

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 00:49

Flexible, and you can make many gametypes,
but this does not come for free,
so dont plan on the next MMORPG Blizzard Buster,

try to make a small casualgame, (like pong) first, and get all the knowlegde together to
realize this first project.
Posted By: testDummy

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 09:36

The following statements, expressions, lists, opinions, etc. refer to the C-Script 'language' in it's current non-beta state and do not accurately reflect C-Lite or other 'addons'. It seems that 'addons' (C-Lite, the replacement language for C-Script?) might be sold as separate products in the future to help compensate for the 'horrible' short comings of the current C-Script 'language'.

Code:

(Some items may appear to be 'duplicates.')
missing feature (C++ plugin written by me to compensate; testDummy plugin)
dynamic arrays can be implemented (tD plugin)
local array sizes larger than 3 elements (tD plugin)
multi-dimensional arrays (tD plugin)
structures
linked lists (tD plugin)
vector arrays (tD plugin)
hashtables
string arrays
string lists
if else, elseif, etc.
switch
for
short-circuiting operators
functions with more than 4 parameters
function overloading
memory allocation/deallocation

...Other individuals may add to the list if those other individuals are not too busy sending flames in my direction.

Is C-Script suitable for a 13 year old who wishes to make games, a 13 year old that may have programming experience with php, JavaScript, and BASIC? Probably, but that is merely a 'weak' opinion and I can't state that I know many 13 year olds personally. If anything, the simplicity of C-Script may make the product more suitable or desirable, but some of that may change with the 'official' introduction of Lite-C.

Do I think C-Script is a comparatively 'flexible' language? I will not lie in this instance. I certainly do not think so.
Quote:

Can c-script pretty much make any game a human could want?

Quoted juggalo10101.
My extremely short answer to this is question, is "no", but again, that is merely my opinion.
Do I think that some 13 year olds might derive much entertainment value from the 3D GameStudio product? My ridiculously brief answer to this question is, "yes".

It seems the community provides good support and there are plenty of usage 'examples' available. This may not be true for comparable products in the same 'class'.
Posted By: Noob65

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 12:28

Are you saying A6 is not capable of creating a MMO game?

Noob65
Posted By: ello

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 12:44

it is so capible that it is capable to be capible

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 13:36

That still didn't answer the question, and I'm sure you misspell from time to time too. LOL

Noob65
Posted By: Excessus

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 15:10

A6 is as capable as its user.

The limitations mentioned by TD don't make it impossible to write an MMO, they just make it more difficult and more annoying.

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 15:14

So there are no limitaions with C-script?

Noob65
Posted By: Excessus

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 15:36

There are limitations to any language. Test dummy mentioned some limitations of c-script that are especially problematic. However, there are always other ways to program something, and these limitations are not a 'show stopper' for any kind of game.
Posted By: anonymous_alcoho

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/25/06 22:32

In terms of scripting, C-Script is limited, A6 is not. C-Script has many deficiencies (none that have affected me yet, but I'm not a proffesional programmer), but with C++ plugins almost anything can be realized in the A6 engine. The engine might not be as powerful as some other 100grand engines, but with a bit more work, it can produce high quality games. it just takes determination.
Posted By: AlbertoT

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/28/06 08:20

One of the the software engineering milestone is :
you can code any type of software, not only game , I mean , just using the if ..than statement
Why c++ or other sophisticated programming languages then ?
Just to make your life easier in case of large projects ( not to mention data protection or other feature of course..)

In conclusion

Can you make any kind of game in 3dgs ?

Yes

Is it easy to make a large project using c-script ?

No

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/28/06 16:15

C++ has definate advantages over C-Script. Its faster, and there are multiple ways of doing the same thing (there is probably more, but I wouldn't know what exactly). The disadvantage is the complexity. C++ is hard to learn on your own (at least it was for me) and there is a lot to it. C-Script can be self-taught within a few years. After four years of just doing this as a hobby I'm already at an intermediate stage where I can do quite abit on my own.

So my point goes along with what AlbertoT said. Any large game is possible, it will just take more work and more learning to do it because it will either require you to understand C++ or be able to use C-Script in complicated and creative ways.

I don't know C++ very well. The most I can do is simple math with cout << and cin >>. Not knowing C++ leaves me at a clear disadvantage because I find myself having to work my way around C-Script's deficiencies. As soon as it opens up as an elective for my college classes, I'm taking C++. my advice is to learn both languages so you can utilize 3dgs to its highest potential.

Not to mention that if you know C-Script, you will have an understanding of the syntax of C++, or if you know C++, you'll understand the syntax of C-Script. Both languages are very different, but the way they are set up is quite similar. they both use semi-colons (I hate those things ), they both us +=, -=, *=, /= operators, both use functions, and so on, so knowing one language will help with the other.

A side note on semi-colons: If you ever use ActionScript or JavaScript, use semicolons. They aren't required, but its good practice to get use to adding the damn things in. (I hate those things! )

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/28/06 16:53

Just to complete my opinion
C++ is a multipurpose programming language while 3dgs is a game oriented one.
Some 3dgs users ask for an OO programming language but the entity \ action 3dgs based system is actually a basic OOP
Personally I would like to have a more sophisticated language than c-script, I hope C-lite is coming soon , however I also beleive that c-script can meet 90 % of an Indie developer's needs
Download the "wastland " demo by Deamocles , it is written 100% in c-script

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/28/06 16:57

In terms of Lite-C, C-Script and C++, I think A7 should support all three. C-Script for noobies to learn from, Lite-C for anyone who want something more complex, but not to the level that C++ is and C++ for really professional projects that can't be handled by C-Script or Lite-C.

Just MHO

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 10/28/06 17:34

I hope you are right
Posted By: swbluto

Re: What is C-script capible of? - 11/07/06 21:36

The only problem with this "ooP"(Object-Oriented Programming) aspect of 3dgs, is that you can't just arbitrarily declare data members, instead you're forced into the skills and flags regime which are limited in number(skills are at 100 while flags are at ... 10 or 20? Not quite a lot.); That, my friend, can be a hassle with relatively complex games. And you also have to use DEFINES with those skills if you want a legible name; With c++, you'd just declare...

Struct Enemy
{
int health = 100;
int damage = 5;
}

Enemy Enemy_One;

And then simply do...

Enemy_one.health -= Enemy_one.damage.

You could also do ARRAYS of structures which allows you to simply scroll through the different members(In this case enemies), and quickly and efficiently handle and manipulate data(in this case, the enemy's health.). In C-script, you have handle that one at a time, copy and pasting it with each action(Or use a function which is C++ -like.).
© 2024 lite-C Forums