Problem with lighting on a block made terrain

Posted By: Towelie

Problem with lighting on a block made terrain - 11/25/06 04:10

So here I am, bored as ever. So I open WED and go ahead and start a level.

I made a base, and built it into the canyon wall. No problem. Then, I made the terrain wall, still nothing. Then I add sun. I get this:

Its not so much that they;re THERE as that it looks cruddy. I want to know if there is a way to make these soft, like in halo:

Ignore my crap textures, I threw them together in 5 minutes to see the lighting better than default texture.
Posted By: Ayrus

Re: Problem with lighting on a block made terrain - 11/25/06 07:47

Hey man, I can kinda see what you are talking about, but I just want to make sure the grey block stick out right?? Also, as an option, you could adjust the ambient value to soften the blow as well as use some carefully placed static lighting to further soften up the shadows.

Regards,
Ayrus
Posted By: EpsiloN

Re: Problem with lighting on a block made terrain - 11/25/06 12:55

Dunno if this will affect static lights but you could increase tesselate in the build options...
Posted By: Machinery_Frank

Re: Problem with lighting on a block made terrain - 11/25/06 13:17

You have to use more lights than only a sun to create soft shadows.

But besides that blocks are not a good option for a terrain. They create portals, portals and more portals. But they are all useless since they cannot generate an efficient BSP tree to occlude something. So all the cpu power for the portals is a waste of system res sources.

Better use a terrain an models for that.
© 2024 lite-C Forums