is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG

Posted By: bugbunny

is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 06:39

Hi,

I need help to choose a game engine to make a 2D MMORPG with an isometric view. Is it gamestudio a good engine for that? Thanks.
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 08:16

I guess it would be if you're happy to create everything in 3D, with a fixed iso camera position.

Don
have a great day
Posted By: laethyn

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 08:17

It certainly is. However, if you are going to have an ISO view, chances are, you'll have some sort of 3d element to it. ex. 3d models, etc.
Posted By: bstudio

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 09:04

you would have to build everything based on isometric sprites (like in RMXP) this way you will have only sprites with the feeling of depth, though it might be a little overdone considering the capacity's of the A6 engine
Posted By: Jay_Watergate

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 17:42

well, because 3D Gamestudio is not inheriently build to design 2D games, its not an ideal choice. Yes, it would work, but I feel that you would be popping Advil more often than solving problems.

Not having done much work with the multiplayer engine, and just going by comments I have heard on this forum, it sounds like its difficult to work with. That is not to say it dosent work, but perhaps its not the best. Besides, you would have to buy the Pro edition to make an MMO, because any lesser version only allows for 4 players, or dosent support online play at all.

Also, a 2D game with an isometric view is contradictory in itself. An isometric view is 3D, not 2D. Perhaps I am not fully understanding what you are getting at.

Anyways, to sum it up, you could do it. However, I am sure there are other engines out there that could do the job better.

Regards,
Jay Watergate
Posted By: Germanunkol

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 19:00

Or you get the populace .dll, it's less expensive than the pro version and works with any version of 3dgs. But I don't know if it'll work for an MMorpg...

Micha
Posted By: TWO

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 19:31

Just watch out for the button 'Publish 2D MMORPG in 1 day', nothing easier.
Posted By: broozar

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 20:13

...comes with TUSC standard or pro?
Posted By: TWO

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/15/07 20:22

nice one
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/16/07 01:31

ulillillia (who hasn't been on these forums in a long time) made a complete 2D game with A6 (3D Game Studio to the un-enlightened). it looked good, and ran really fast.

@Jay Watergate: 2D isometric games are 2D but attempt to simulate 3D by viewing all characters for a seemingly isometric angle. the pokemon games on gameboy are 2D isometric, as are the original sims, simcity, simcity 2000, simcity 3000 (and unlimited), age of empires 1 and 2 (including expansions), diablo 1 and 2, and im sure there are many others.

im afraid i wont be much help creating a 2D game, and ulillillia has been missing for a while. however, A6 is perfectly capable.

julz

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/16/07 04:41

Thanks everybody.

If A6 can make a 2D isometric game, that's great. For now, I don't want to start a 3D game so as to simplify and development, coz MMORPG is a huge project, I want to prove my concept before moving on and I don't have good 3D artist for now. In a long run, I would like to make the game 3D. Great to know advice from everybody.

And are you there, ulillillia.
Posted By: JibbSmart

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/16/07 09:49

well if u want to simplify development, make it in 3D but only work on the x and y axes. that's probably easier than working with actual 2D in a6.

good luck!

julz

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/17/07 05:12

you mean having a fixed camera at a 45 degree angle? does the art need to be 3D art or 2D art?
Posted By: HeelX

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/17/07 10:52

It depends. Ground tiles, for example are then just sprites oriented on th XY axis. You could use as well (animated-) sprites for your characters.. no problem. For smoother motion and realistic behaviour I would suggest 3D models for actors and everything else.
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/18/07 03:11

Yeah, that's what I was thinking - lets you pull base 3d characters from the forum contributions, but do a really simple ground plane. Buildings could be done either way, but i'd suggest putting them in as 3d, with events using scan etc, same as if it were a normal 3d game.

Populace seems really nice - bought it last week, Comm. licence and $50 populace should work for 3d players per server - makes it good for mmorpg, but i can't say i've played with it enough to absolutely say it'll work for you.

Don
have a great day

Re: is gamestudio good for a 2D MMORPG - 01/18/07 04:00

Thanks everybody. Your advice helps me a lot. Seems 3DGameStudio could be used to make a isometric MMORPG. However, 3D media is still needed.
© 2024 lite-C Forums