Big memory usage!

Posted By: Illegitima

Big memory usage! - 09/30/07 19:13

Hi,
I have a big problem with a huge memory usage of my game. I got 19mb of objects and external textures in Targa format. When I run the level with "Preview Map" It takes around 65mb RAM max (which is due to the targa compression I believe) and this seems pretty normal number for me. But when using a script to load all entities and their coordinates and scale values taken from an XML file... and run the game - it takes 255mb RAM ! And I believe this is hell a lot of memory for 2-room level with a bunch of furniture.
Any idea what might me the problem here, speaking generally - the textures, the models... or the script.
Also is it better in terms of memory usage to use external texture files (what we do) or integrated in the model? We decided to use the external textures due to the fact that several objects use the same textures.
Thanks in advance!
Posted By: Nems

Re: Big memory usage! - 10/01/07 04:09

You probably need to check your code if all load up well without it.
You could have loops continually calling functions/actions when they no longer need to or alphas with heaps of shader calls etc...
Posted By: Darkyyes

Re: Big memory usage! - 10/03/07 05:13

Illegitima have you tried letting it stay open a while to see if the memory usage continoues to rise? if so its a memory leak in your script I think =|

when it uses 255mb RAM is it compiled as a finished level? if so perhaps its because all the runtime files have to be opened through the one exe file instead of running through the wed(takes ram) and then the gamestudio just allocate stuff from wed thus preview takes less ram?
© 2024 lite-C Forums