Just blue when running

Posted By: Tiles

Just blue when running - 09/15/08 09:34

I have inserted a position, a hollow cube and have textured it. Then i have run it. Worked fine. I could see the hollow cube.

Then i have removed the hollow cube, have inserted a mesh, and rotated the Position to look at the wall. I have of course saved and clicked at Build before i clicked the Run button. But when i run the level i see nothing. Why? What am i missing?

Posted By: Rasch

Re: Just blue when running - 09/15/08 09:55

Itīs loading the correct level via script?

You imported a model as level?

If (yes)
{
Which format?
}
else
{
ignore
}

Re: Just blue when running - 09/15/08 11:20

Thanks for looking smile

MDL7

I had the same mesh in another project, and use it as level. And there it displays fine. But not in this fresh created level here.

I have never before made much with the WED. So i'm a bit lost. Am still a beginner anyways. But now i have to dive into the WED. I want to find out why my other project totally ignores any light. It stays default no matter how much lights i throw in or what i change under map properties.

But that's another story. First i need to display the Mesh so that i can test lighting at all.

Just in case, here is the level with both, the hollow cube and the mesh inside, 2.87 Mb

http://reinerstileset.4players.de/ext/3dgs/lightingtest.zip

Cube shows, mesh not cry

Re: Just blue when running - 09/15/08 12:32

I added Sun Ambient via File -> Map Properties under "Sun". Then i changed the Texture Format of your model to 24bit. That didnīt help, so i exported it with MED to .fbx format. Then i imported the .fbx file in WED. Now everything works, also the lights i placed.

You can downlaod the modified version here. Hope you got 7.10

> Download

Re: Just blue when running - 09/15/08 12:44

Yup, have. Thanks alot smile

Still, what is wrong with the MDL7 version? It worked in another level, it displays in the 3D view. Why not here in the running level?

Re: Just blue when running - 09/15/08 13:04

I really donīt know i fixed the most common problem with the 32bit setting in MED but that didnīt help. Maybe you should use another picture format. pcx for example. Try that smile

Re: Just blue when running - 09/15/08 13:04

Okay, thanks smile
Posted By: Bot190

Re: Just blue when running - 09/16/08 20:17

as far as i know you have to have a hollow cube in a level for it to work right..
Posted By: log2

Re: Just blue when running - 09/16/08 23:33

make sure a few things here... You have saved the game (Most important)
- Next make sure you have a script on the game (If you go to file/map properties, next to script it says something)
- Next if you saved the game in a different location, make sure the script file is in the same location
- If you started with a blank script you need to have the lines:
Code:
function main()
{
  level_load("Filename of level.wmb"); // Make sure it's wmb not wmp
  wait(3); // For triple buffering
}

And that should solve the problem

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 07:25

Thanks guys. But this has nothing to do with a wrong script or a hollow cube. It's this specific mesh not displaying.

You can run a completely blank level from within the WED without attaching any script. It uses a standard movement then. And content gets of course displayed, even without a hollow cube around. What not got displayed was this specific mesh.

Many thanks for the help smile

EDIT, correction, now i get it. Log2, you're right, MDL files needs to be loaded by script. How could i forget that. Aww, i totally mixed things here laugh

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 08:27

Okay, now i'm totally confused. It cannot be that you need to define every little mdl file to extra load. That would be unbelievable cumbersome to build anything. What's the WED good for then?

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 08:39

No itīs not needed to load a mdl via script. If you include it in WED itīs automaticly loaded in the game.

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 08:44

Thanks Rasch smile

Honestly i get mad at all this stuff.

I have a level with two lights. Dynamic light is ticked, the objects in question have cast and receive shadow ticked. But it looks the same than the same level without the two lights. In both cases the standard light is used. The two lights are totally ignored.

Nothing seems to work. No matter what i touch smirk

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 09:03

Okay, now i managed to change the colour ... argh!

Seems that i stumble across every available pitfall at the moment laugh

One hollow cube, one position. No light, Default Build method. Did it a hundret times before, now it fails. No more standardlight. That is what i see now, black. Close to the point to give up ...

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 09:23

I got the same problem. You have to set an Sun Ambient (the lightness of the shadows). File -> Map Properties -> Sun -> Sun Ambient (128,128,128 - a grey)

Try that!

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 09:32

But it had worked before. Hmm. Changing the ambient light solved it indeed. Thanks for the tip smile

Anyways, i had inserted a light then. Am still at the MDL problem. And as you can see, you can see nothing from the meshes.

No matter what MDL i try, my own that came across Blender or across Ultimate Unwrap then MED, some from IntenseX, it doesn't get displayed in the level. It stays blank where a mesh should be. Means i cannot test light, i cannot build a level at all. What is going on here? You say MDL should be displayed. What am i overlooking?

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 09:46

Have you created the castle by yourself? WHich format did you export it? How did you import it?

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 11:18

Just to answer your question about the art pipeline. Yes, selfmade. Starting point was trueSpace 7.6. Exported as Collada or X, imported into Ultimate Unwrap. From here exported as FBX and imported into MED. From there saved as MDL7. Another art pipeline goes across exporting as OBJ, then importing into Blender, and export from there using the MDL7 script.

Besides that, i have it, i have the baddie. Weeha smile

It is something this simple that you have to overlook it. The models were stored into a subfolder. But a blank level needs the meshes in the same folder than the WMB. When i put it out of the folder and besides the WMB everything works as thought.

Makes me wonder why you can load meshes from a subfolder into a level at all when the result doesn't gets displayed then. For me a bug. But anyways. Now i know what it is. Now it displays my meshes. And i can go on. Phew, what a battle smile

Many thanks for all the help and patience guys smile

One last question though. The meshes just gets displayed until a specific zoom. I move out a bit and the models vanishes. Which leads me to a next last question. How can i prevent the vanishing?

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 12:12

add this to your script

PATH "\\models";

Now it should also work when the models are in the subfolder "models"

What do you mean with vanish? In WED or when running?

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 12:49

Quote:
add this to your script

PATH "\\models";

Thanks, but that's the whole point of a very blank level. There is no script smile

Quote:
What do you mean with vanish? In WED or when running?

My fault, explanation was not close enough. When running. I move a bit away and the meshes disappears.

This is of course in a blank level without any script.

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 13:08

Maybe because the camera is in your block or outside of the block?

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 13:13

Ah, and again something this simple. Indeed. Camera moves out of the hollow block. And then the content vanishes. Curious that it still displays the inside of the hollow block then instead the outside of it, but anyways. Also this mystery is solved. Many thanks smile

Re: Just blue when running - 09/17/08 13:37

You're welcome! smile
© 2024 lite-C Forums