starting a game

Posted By: Gus65

starting a game - 06/30/09 03:39

hello
i am planning on starting a game similar to Civilization 4
i got the game design in my mind but where and how do i start ??????
can anyone help me please
Posted By: the_mehmaster

Re: starting a game - 06/30/09 03:51

One of the most complicated parts of rts is the pathfinding. Take a look at intense-x zinc for this.

Are you really sure you want to go through with this though? RTS is one of the hardest genres to make a game on. You should really start small and gain experience before taking on a huge project like this. Do you have any teammates? you'll probably need at least 3 people to do this...

Sorry if i discouraged you, but that's how it is. I once attempted an RTS on my own.. did a couple of tech demos and that was it...too hard.
Posted By: delinkx

Re: starting a game - 06/30/09 04:09

how to start ? we need 2 know how much u already know abt game development.
Posted By: Gus65

Re: starting a game - 06/30/09 04:31

lol
i just started learnig
but when there is a will,there is a way
if u are willing to help me tell me where and how to start
Posted By: Gumby22don

Re: starting a game - 06/30/09 06:19

The tutorials are great, and reading the Acknex User Magazine (AUM) (link on left top) is also probably the best way to go. Find a project in there that relates to what you want to do, and start playing with it - add a small feature at a time, till you understand how it works together. Then, you can decide whether to start your own from scratch, or continue with that project.

Good luck,

Don
have a great day
Posted By: Abstracto

Re: starting a game - 06/30/09 06:20

how to start?

i think you should write your ideas, and make some sketches or drawings about what you want.
A design document is a good starting point,
this way you can show something to your team (if you want one).
Posted By: delinkx

Re: starting a game - 06/30/09 09:38

how to start:

- put down all ur ideas.
- create ur story
- make sketches of ur characters and properties.
- draw some flow diagram for the game.
- then from there on develop each stage in more details.

- once all these documentations are done: then u can start designing ur characters and coding ur game.
Posted By: Zodiac

Re: starting a game - 06/30/09 17:43

I've found it's easiest to plan what you want to do then break it down into smaller parts so you can learn as you go. You may have to go back and redo most of the initial code as you learn better ways of doing it, but its a great way of starting small and making constant progress to keep you encouraged.
© 2024 lite-C Forums