How do I create panes of glass?

Posted By: Wesker

How do I create panes of glass? - 07/26/06 01:29

I need a simple way to create glass. So far all I've been doing is using semi transparent sprites, but they are impossible to size properly into a frame. Is there a way to texture blocks to be semi-transparent?
Posted By: NL_3DGS_n00b

Re: How do I create panes of glass? - 07/26/06 02:19

Just make a window with a block, cut it, paste in new project, give it a white texture, save it as map entity, open project again, inport as map entity, place in window, add a script to it with makes it transparent, and play with the alpha value.
Posted By: MJR_Corp

Re: How do I create panes of glass? - 07/26/06 05:49

I understand all of that except the last two things, what is alpha? And what kind of script?
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: How do I create panes of glass? - 07/26/06 08:35

Code:

action make_transparent
{
my.transparent = on;
my.alpha = 20; // play with this
wait(1); // registers the above
my.dynamic = off; // not dynamic to speed up rendering of this entity
}

This. Alpha is transparency. In Gamestudio, it uses a percentage, from 0 to 100. With 0%, it's the same as making it invisible. With 100%, it's fully opaque. With something in between, you can see through it. If you look out a standard window of about 5 millimeters, the glass has an alpha of 16 (6.3%) and thus easily able to be seen through. A thin trash bag would have an alpha of about 208 (81.3%) and very easily seen, but you can still see through it. For setting the transparency of each pixel individually, you'll need a 32-bit TGA or DDS texture image with alpha channel in it. GIMP is a useful program for making images with alpha channel.
Posted By: DrE

Re: How do I create panes of glass? - 08/01/06 16:53

How can I make the part of the model go transparent. I made a 32-bit tga and used it on a model, but when I apply the transparent action to the model, the whole model goes transparent. Do I need to define what color should be transparent?

btw, the "my.dynamic = off" gives this error:
"war.wdl 1927:0 Error(50): Parameter unknown dynamic Parameter"

What's the problem?

Re: How do I create panes of glass? - 08/01/06 20:29

my.dynamic only applies to the 6.31.4 version and later. Please update your Gamestudio to 6.31.4 or the latest 6.40.5. For making part of the model transparent, I suggest using a separate entity for the transparent parts or you'll get odd Z-sorting errors. To make parts of the model of varying transparency, use a texture with alpha channel.
Posted By: Grimber

Re: How do I create panes of glass? - 08/01/06 21:24

you have to apply the semi transparent texture to a SEPERATE skin of the model then UV map the polys you want to that skin. you won;t get the sort problem then if you do it right.

you can't combine semi transparent full opaque in the same skin image.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: How do I create panes of glass? - 08/02/06 01:25

Well you can do that with 6.4, because the new MDL format supports multiple textures.

So check the announcement forum for an update to 6.4. Currently, it's public beta.

Re: How do I create panes of glass? - 08/02/06 01:29

Actually, 6.40.5 is now on the download page. It's no longer a public beta. 6.31.4 has moved into the old versions section.
© 2024 lite-C Forums