MED problems... again!

Posted By: Rad_Daddy

MED problems... again! - 07/26/06 21:06

I have, in the past, had major problems with MED crashing on me in the middle of modeling.

MY past problems have been...
1) MED crashes after comming out of a full-screen model preview.
2) MED crashes after running for longer than... i think it was 20 minutes.

Now, it crashes every time I "copy selected" and then "paste" verticies. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! Its getting on my nervs, if you cant tell. Please, if anyone has any ideas on how to fix any of these, please let me know.

My first thought is that it may be directX, because its as if the screen isnt being refreshed... and then MED crahses. So, i will try that first. In the mean time, any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,
Raddaddy
Posted By: tindust

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/26/06 21:28

Which version 3DGS are you using and what's your computer specs?
Posted By: Chameleon_Man

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/26/06 21:44

MED works fine on my computer, are you modelling on a really old computer?

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/26/06 22:09

My version: Gamestudio 6.40.5 (MED:6.814) Commercial Edition

My Computer:
-2.4Ghz Pentium 4
-768MB PC2100 Ram
-100GB HD
-ATI Radeon 9250 (128MB)

The computer is aproximately 1 year old, made form scratch (kind of a budget computer)... but its not THAT old. No, I have modeled on lesser computer with no problems.
Posted By: ulillillia

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/26/06 22:30

PC2100 RAM? That's rarely used nowadays, but I doubt it's the cause. PC3200 is the most common type (400 MHz - PC2100 is 266MHz) Your system specs are just fine.

Have you tried reinstalling Gamestudio?

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/27/06 01:32

I just reformatted my computer... so yes, everything is completely new. However, I recieved the same errors before the format.

About the RAM... my Motherboard is fairly old (AGP 4X only and PC2100 support only. I actually have PC3200 in there, but the motherboard steps it down, cause it dosent support such speeds ) As you said, Ulillillia, I doubt any of those are the problem, seeing as its still about 10x over the minimum, but still...

I have semi-solved one of the problems... when comming out of a full screen preview, if I immediately minimize MED, open it, and save (dont ask, it works), it will not crash. Ghetto workaround, but still would like to know whats up??? A fresh version of Direct X did nothing.

Thanks again,
Raddaddy
Posted By: tindust

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/27/06 01:42

No problems here either whether running MED on a regular computer or a 5 year old lab top.

Just a guess ... sometimes a firewall or such can interfere with programs ... have you tried to turn it off while running MED?

tindust

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/27/06 02:35

I never run my firewall... Im on dialup, so there really isnt any point. By the time a hacker finds my computer, the IP has either changed, or ive signed off . Thanks everyone again, still having the problems though...
Posted By: Grimber

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/27/06 03:27

which dll do you have the video out set to under preferances gxl2bas32, Gxl2DX8A or Gxl2DX8? you may have to change it. also be sure your Direct X is updated as well as video card driver

make sure your not running or do run any other DX application while MED is running ( especialy running WED and MED at the same time) can causeone, both to crash or DX rendering to fail completly

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/27/06 03:36

Quote:

which dll do you have the video out set to under preferances

Gxl2DX8A

Quote:

also be sure your Direct X is updated as well as video card driver

check and check

Quote:

make sure your not running or do run any other DX application while MED is running

that has happened once or twice, but is not a common issue.

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/27/06 03:41

try runing it off the Gxl2DX8 dll see if it still crashs

does your system have occasionaly any other unexplained crashs? playing games/videos/music?

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/27/06 03:54

None that i dont know the explanation to, no. Ok, unexplainedly, it stoped crashing after comming out of fullscreen preview... however MED is slow to update (it still shows the preview inside the MED bounds for about 10 seconds after I click inside MED).

Re: MED problems... again! - 07/27/06 04:10

well, best i can guess at is either something running in background ( associated to video or audio(which sometimes conflicts video) ) is causing a drag on your video

or you have a hardware problem ( bad RAM or video RAM registers). that ram your using thats rated higher than your motherboard could be the cause too
Posted By: Scyre

Re: MED problems... again! - 08/17/06 23:12

I dunno if this helps but the reinstall of directx will only reinstall "needed" components unless you use the redist version , in which case it will reinstall all the components again. I found this out the hard way with a fouled directx install. Couldn't correct it until I found out the redist must be used for a complete rewrite of directx. You should be able to get it from microsoft.com/directx, or something similar. Can't be hard to find.

Hope this helps!

Best regards, and BE GOOD!
Scyre
© 2024 lite-C Forums