Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, VoroneTZ, dpn), 1,346 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Deleting a 6-sided mapping #84512
08/04/06 04:38
08/04/06 04:38
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline OP
Rad_Daddy  Offline OP

New England
Early on in my modle, I made a mapping for the entire side of the model all at once. Now, it is a jumbled mess of vertexes, and I dont know what goes where. I want to start over, but how do I clear all previous maps that I have made in the skin editor?

Thanks,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: Deleting a 6-sided mapping [Re: Rad_Daddy] #84513
08/04/06 04:49
08/04/06 04:49
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
The only way I know of how to do this is to group up what you have already mapped the way you want and map it accordingly. Let's say the G's are the good-mapped area of a simple terrain-like MDL file and the B's are the bad areas you want to dump entirely.

Code:

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGBBBBBBGGGGGGG
GGGGGGBBBBBBBBGGGGGG
GGGGGGBBBBBBBBGGGGGG
GGGGGGGBBBBBBGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

Just select everything marked as a G in this example leaving out those marked with a B. You have to be in face mode for this to work. Then go to edit > create group. Switch to group mode and select the area that isn't part of the group you created and bring up the skin edittor. Now you won't see anything in there.

This is the best method I can think of.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Deleting a 6-sided mapping [Re: ulillillia] #84514
08/04/06 05:00
08/04/06 05:00
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline OP
Rad_Daddy  Offline OP

New England
Good call Ulillillia, but is this a practical solution. Because it dosent seem to have actually deleted anything, could that old mapping possibly come back to hurt me later on?

Thanks,
Raddaddy

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: Deleting a 6-sided mapping [Re: Rad_Daddy] #84515
08/04/06 05:11
08/04/06 05:11
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Yes it does. Did you know that, if you texture something and duplicate your single textured polygon, copy this in random amounts (in whole or in part), the file size of a model can grow to 10 MB, without a texture, one frame of animation, and only a few hundred polygons and vertices? I found this bug in 6.31.4 and it hasn't been fixed, despite reporting it. It's not readily apparent in 6.40.5. Unattached skin vertices don't always get deleted in full. They stay in the same spot and you otherwise couldn't tell if there were any because they occupy the exact same spot of another vertex.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Deleting a 6-sided mapping [Re: ulillillia] #84516
08/04/06 05:52
08/04/06 05:52
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline OP
Rad_Daddy  Offline OP

New England
so... to prevent this, I would have to what... remodel the whole thing? That would be a pain. There should just be an option to delet individual maps. Would be much easier, and benificial, especially to the novice modeler, like me.

Hmmm... ok, well thanks for the input Ulillillia. I will either live with the larger file size, or perhaps remodel it, and fix some of the other issues with it while im at it. (the is an open mesh SOMEWHERE... cant for the life of me find it )

Thanks again,
RAddaddy

Re: Deleting a 6-sided mapping [Re: Rad_Daddy] #84517
08/04/06 06:03
08/04/06 06:03
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
This only happens when you copy/paste textured things (or when you have previously copied and pasted something). If you copy something untextured, this doesn't happen, unless you have previously copied a textured object. If you have to copy a textured object, do so, but only paste that item. If you need to copy something else, close MED and reopen it and your file to prevent this from getting out of hand. I have one model with over 4 million skin vertices because of this, but barely 1500 model vertices and 3000 faces.

What is needed is to be able to delete all unattached/unused vertices in the skin edittor.

Re: Deleting a 6-sided mapping [Re: ulillillia] #84518
08/04/06 19:07
08/04/06 19:07
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

Am I understanding correctly that you are saying you have already "UV Mapped" an object, then did some more modeling on it, and now your UV map is "all scewed up", and you want to 'fix' this?

From the sound of it, MED doesn't handle "re-UVing" very well, so....don't use MED. I use a program called "Ultimate Unwrap 3D" ( http://www.unwrap3d.com/ ). It will set you back $50, but in all honesty, it's worth three times that. I recently was board, so I made about a half-dozen low-poly "fantasy-ish items" (go see the User Contributions forum). The UV'ing of those items took maybe a grand total of 4 hours. The great thing about UU3D is that it allows you to "re-do" UVing of all or some of the polygons on your model. So, if you UV map an entire humanoid robot, then make some modeling changes to his right arm, you can go back into UV3D and simply re-UV just his right arm.

Try the UU3D demo and see for yourself.

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de