Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (BrainSailor, 1 invisible), 1,090 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
In-game customizable models - Can you? #85748
08/13/06 02:47
08/13/06 02:47
C
CreatorOfMyth Offline OP
CreatorOfMyth  Offline OP
C

Sorry, I'm new to 3D GameStudio and I've been looking at what the engine is capable of and what it is meant to do and I haven't been able to find an answer to this question yet, so I'll ask it here.

Can models be customized by the player during actual gameplay? Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I'd like to make it so that the player can choose a hairstyle for their character, as well as hair color separately, and other facial/body features including height, weight, and possibly female bust size. Another customizable option the player would have would be what items they have equipped, weapons as well as armor. With all these different choices a player could make there could very well be over 1000 different combinations, making it improbable and nearly impossible task to premake every combination as a seperate model.

Can you create seperate models for each part and "link" them together during gameplay using scripting to essentially create what would be the character's model? Can you scale different parts of a model during gameplay (as to create a short/tall and skinny/fat character) ? Can you change the skin used for a model, or change color tinting variables (for hair-color) ? Can bone-animation still be used on a model created like this, with all these customizable/interchangeable pieces?

I know this is a lot, and I'm not asking you to explain to me how to do all of them. I simply want to know whether 3D GameStudio can accomplish these tasks, hopefully with just C-Script without having to go into DLLs, plugins, C++, and the like. If it can, could you please point me in the right direction for further study in learning how to actually program it all?

Thank you.

Last edited by CreatorOfMyth; 08/13/06 02:52.
Re: In-game customizable models - Can you? [Re: CreatorOfMyth] #85749
08/13/06 03:08
08/13/06 03:08
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Quote:

Can models be customized by the player during actual gameplay? Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I'd like to make it so that the player can choose a hairstyle for their character, as well as hair color separately, and other facial/body features including height, weight, and possibly female bust size.

Yes, this is possible. Just separate your player model into parts and pieces and use my.skin = xxx; as needed.

Quote:

Another customizable option the player would have would be what items they have equipped, weapons as well as armor. With all these different choices a player could make there could very well be over 1000 different combinations, making it improbable and nearly impossible task to premake every combination as a seperate model.

With some tricks, this is possible. Just use a separate entity for each item.

Quote:

Can you create seperate models for each part and "link" them together during gameplay using scripting to essentially create what would be the character's model?

This is how the two things above will work. I don't know how it's done, but I'm pretty sure it's possible.

Quote:

Can you scale different parts of a model during gameplay (as to create a short/tall and skinny/fat character)?

Just use my.scale_x = xxx;, my.scale_y = xxx; and/or my.scale_z = xxx; as needed in your script.

Quote:

Can you change the skin used for a model, or change color tinting variables (for hair-color)?

Changing the skin is possible. By using materials, you can easily tint things - I do this with my 3D game's platforms to choose from 16 7/9 million colors.

Quote:

Can bone-animation still be used on a model created like this, with all these customizable/interchangeable pieces?

I don't know in this case.

Quote:

I know this is a lot, and I'm not asking you to explain to me how to do all of them. I simply want to know whether 3D GameStudio can accomplish these tasks, hopefully with just C-Script without having to go into DLLs, plugins, C++, and the like. If it can, could you please point me in the right direction for further study in learning how to actually program it all?

Thank you.

There are tons of tutorials around. I don't have any scripting tutorials, and otherwise lack considerable experience with 3D. I get a bulk of this information from what other users have posted (and answered) through my time of being here.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: In-game customizable models - Can you? [Re: ulillillia] #85750
08/13/06 14:51
08/13/06 14:51
C
CreatorOfMyth Offline OP
CreatorOfMyth  Offline OP
C

Thanks for the reply. Well, hopefully bone animations can still be used. I'll have to look further into that, unless someone else here already knows the definite answer. Thanks again.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de