Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,486 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Poser texture problem #88766
09/05/06 03:37
09/05/06 03:37
Sunbury Victoria, AU
Shaque Offline OP
Shaque  Offline OP

Sunbury Victoria, AU
1. When I make a character in Poser 5 (low poly P3 figure) I create a texture from one of the figure templates that works fine in Poser, but when I export the figure to a model (I've tried 3DS, LWO & OBJ along with MTL texture), the texture is misaligned and even MED reports that the texture is a different size to the model. All my 3D programs fit the texture incorrectly. I have checked for UV flipping upon export, it's just that the texture fits right, but theres an odd anomoly that creates ugly seams. I can't use MAX2MDL because Max says the texture format is incorrect. Is there a Poser standard for these textures?

2. MED will not allow me to import and append frames from 3DS models because it says there are too many verts in them. Is there a way to reduse the amount of polys or verts on a model while keeping its shape?

Can someone help me? Thanks in advance.

Knowledge is a right, wisdom is a choice.
Re: Poser texture problem [Re: Shaque] #88767
09/05/06 06:02
09/05/06 06:02
IL,US
FeiHongJr Offline
Expert
FeiHongJr  Offline
Expert

IL,US
You got some expensive toys

1. Not sure

2. Yes,

A. You could do it by hand... Long process but best route to take.As you control where verts and faces are removed

B. Use a decimation program blender has one.... However that will ussually lead to messed up deformations in the animations.

http://www.freewebs.com/otama_syndicate/index.htm - Each master to his own technique.

- Not me said the bee, Nor I said the fly.
Re: Poser texture problem [Re: FeiHongJr] #88768
09/05/06 07:42
09/05/06 07:42
Sunbury Victoria, AU
Shaque Offline OP
Shaque  Offline OP

Sunbury Victoria, AU
Quote:

You got some expensive toys

Not really. I got 3DS Max through work because of their need for me to make them 3D text animations in Flash (yes, they paid for Macromedia Studio for me too, more money than sense ) and Poser and Bryce I picked up for a song with my computer 3 or 4 years ago (AU$100 each).

Suffice it to say, there must be a way to reduce the sickening poly count that Poser puts out. I can make superb textures to make a wooden post look like a glamour model, but I need the basic human shape and Poser animates human movements better than any program I know.

Re: Poser texture problem [Re: Shaque] #88769
09/05/06 08:10
09/05/06 08:10
IL,US
FeiHongJr Offline
Expert
FeiHongJr  Offline
Expert

IL,US
As I said there are ways... However Ive yet to find a way other then by hand that will do it good enough where it wont mess with the animation process. Blender has a decimation moddifier as im sure other modeling packages do as well.

The main problem with it is that it just decimates the entire mesh and doesnt take in to concideration areas that are needed for animation such as knees elbows ect... Which most of the time really effects the way the animations look.

Your best bet would be either A. Find a different model import into poser rig and animate it or B. Remove the unnesscary polys by hand

http://www.freewebs.com/otama_syndicate/index.htm - Each master to his own technique.

Re: Poser texture problem [Re: FeiHongJr] #88770
09/06/06 00:50
09/06/06 00:50
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
...you might also want to read the 'rules' on using Poser figures as 3d objects for games/applications. Basically, you can't. You can use Poser to make, uh, "pretty" pictures and animations. You can't export the models, import them into your game for use as, say, player characters or NPC's. Well, that's how it used to be waaaaay back around Poser 2 or 3.

Anyway, take a look into their terms of use, EULA and stuff. Maybe they changed it. Better safe than sorry.

Oh, and I *think* Poser uses some crasy propriatary way of handeling texture/uv mapping...not sure though.

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Poser texture problem [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #88771
09/06/06 02:30
09/06/06 02:30
Sunbury Victoria, AU
Shaque Offline OP
Shaque  Offline OP

Sunbury Victoria, AU
Well, I managed to pull it off, except for the texture. I exported a figure with a reasonably low poly count and then imported the model into Max. I coloured the model by chosing only elements and polygons and made a half decent character. I'm now trying to figure out how to export the colours I used in the material editor out to a texture. Wavefront OBJ works with the MTL, but I can't use that in MED.

With the 3DS model however, I successfully created a 67 frame MDL, only to output a 12 megabyte MDL and without a texture. (I wanted to skip ahead to make sure all that I'm doing is viable.) It worked in WED apart from a few animation quirks I've yet to work out. I'm still only a newbie with A6 and it seems I've a lot to learn. I have not yet got around to making at least a room with something to do in it.

I once heard a wise man say, "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step." I guess I will be patient and take one step at a time.

Re: Poser texture problem [Re: Shaque] #88772
09/06/06 07:04
09/06/06 07:04
IL,US
FeiHongJr Offline
Expert
FeiHongJr  Offline
Expert

IL,US
This might be a stupid question but does your model have a uv map?

Anyways if you can get it exported to obj then a possible solution would be to also download blender. Ventilator released a wonderful mdl exporter for it which you can find by doing a search here. Good luck.

Re: Poser texture problem [Re: FeiHongJr] #88773
09/07/06 04:19
09/07/06 04:19
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

I have done this any number of times for experiments and whatnot.. the long and short of it is: you will never get a very good result using poser models and decimating them. You can get a decent result appropriate for testing, but nothing that will be particularly professional.. the reasons are simple, automatic decimation will never be sensitive to animation needs...

Basically a decimated model may look good, but will almost never animate well. You are better off exporting your poser model, and recreating it entirely by hand in your model program, using the poser mesh only as a guide. This way you get the correct seams and faces, and there is no copyright problem.

You can however, export poser animations and convert them to a 3DMax biped file using some conversion tools..they can be useful.

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: Poser texture problem [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #88774
09/07/06 07:37
09/07/06 07:37
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

I once used Poser, a polygon-decimator program
and Gimp, to make a textured poser model.

The poser model get exported, polygons get reduced,
and the texture is simply 4 screenshots in poser, that get assigned
to the skin in MED.

Its a lot of work, but at least it works correct if you just one good model.

Re: Poser texture problem [Re: Shaque] #88775
09/07/06 10:53
09/07/06 10:53
Germany, NRW
T
TheThinker Offline
TheThinker  Offline
T

Germany, NRW
Äh, You are NOT AOLLOWED to use Poser modells in games. It was said before.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de