by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (TipmyPip, ozgur), 1,240 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27
19060 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How to finish a project #96578
10/30/06 14:13
10/30/06 14:13
V
vartan_s Offline OP
vartan_s  Offline OP
V

I've heard a lot of stories about people who never get round to finishing their projects for different reasons, so I wanted to know what helps people finish projects they start.

I personally haven't finished a project yet, but I've gotten pretty far and I wouldn't have. First of all, I told people about it. This put pressure on me to finish it. Not only on the forums, but friends and family as well.

Second, balance the good and the hard parts. Don't do all the fun parts first, otherwise you'll never get around to doing the boring parts, and that's a shame.

Last, put comments in your work! If you leave you work for a week and don't put comments you'll come back not understanding anything. All that code will have gone to waste.

OK, those are what I have to say now I wanna hear from you guys.

Last edited by vartan_s; 10/30/06 14:49.
Re: How to finish a project [Re: vartan_s] #96579
10/30/06 14:38
10/30/06 14:38
broozar Offline
Expert
broozar  Offline
Expert

be wise and split up the work on different people. if the scripter's already done his work and waiting for your models, you'll be surprised how quickly you can suddenly work

Re: How to finish a project [Re: broozar] #96580
10/30/06 15:52
10/30/06 15:52
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
I know thats what everybody says but: Set up a design document.
Just write down what your game should have, how the player's character is controlled and all the stuff coming to your mind.
Basicly draft your game script-core and work on that first.
Don't just start of with modeling a beautifull character and find out you can't script later on, or you lost interest in the project or thought of something "better" (different).

So what I'm doing: Writing down the idea, how the gameplay should work, genre, story and then I use FreeMind (you can find it in the Wiki -> Free Tools -> Other Tools) to set up what my script core should have.
Like: movement, camera, weapons, interaction
All basic things.
Then I set up a project folder with some sub-folders (helps to keep your files organised) and set up a small test level in WED (yep, using the default texture).
Then comes the work:
Movement was the first I started with for my current project.

DaBro0zar's hint works, if you have a team.
If you're on your own (no right to be right/completed):
1. script the core and all "gameplay essential things"
If your game makes fun (even with dummy-models) after 1 you're almost done

2. create your ingame graphics (models, textures)
3. make as many levels as you need
4. all "make-up" scripting
5. menu (scripting + graphics)
6. publish

This list is how I would go about it, but it may change from developer to developer.

But I'm just a "young" developer, far from perfection.

EDIT:
I can also strongly advice to listen to what has already been said: Comment your code and write it in terms of "modular programming".
Set up a "Dev-Notes" file to keep you on-track what you once decide.
E.g. which skill numbers are reserved for global and which for local.
I use skill1-5 for global wed settings and 6-20 for local wed settings, then a certain range for non-wed global and non-wed local.
Create a global .wdl file for defining these global skills and all the other global stuff.
When you start developing a new part of your game, check what kind of skills you already have and how you could use them.
If you need local skills define them and don't forget to undefine (undef skillname) them, caus another .wdl file might use the same (double definition error)
When setting up a new global skill in a .wdl file mark it as global (e.g. //GLOBAL) and after finishing developing that file, move it to your global .wdl file.

Last edited by Thunder; 10/30/06 17:48.
Re: How to finish a project [Re: Xarthor] #96581
10/30/06 17:40
10/30/06 17:40
V
vartan_s Offline OP
vartan_s  Offline OP
V

Great advice. Someone should sticky this, I suspect it's useful advice for someone attempting their very first project, and it's quite useful even if it isn't their first.

Re: How to finish a project [Re: Xarthor] #96582
11/10/06 01:06
11/10/06 01:06
Connecticut, USA
Blink Offline

Expert
Blink  Offline

Expert

Connecticut, USA
sorry, not about post...happy birthday thunder!

Re: How to finish a project [Re: Blink] #96583
11/10/06 08:57
11/10/06 08:57
EpsiloN Offline
User
EpsiloN  Offline
User

My only advice is if you are making a strategy game like StarCraft...play StarCraft while making it. If you are making Diblo style RPG , play Diablo. Playing games (similar to what you want to make) can give you ideas and motivation to continue your project.
And be patient. When something doesnt work , leave it in the forums with a question for 1-2 days and someone will help you fix it.(I often abandon projects because I get to a point where I can not continue alone,but thats mainly a modeling issue(lack of animations in free models))

PS.: I also abandon projects because of no motivation. I just cant play games on my computer(because of some stupid thermal control,it shuts down my computer) but the ideas keep flowing
And , btw , music is the perfect motivation ("muse").I like the sound tracks from WoW , Unreal Tournament and The I of the dragon , and my winamp never stops playing them. This leads to imagination and motivation to continue something (In my case,to see the game I wanned to create created , without bothering will I publish it or will someone else see it ever!)

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201
Re: How to finish a project [Re: EpsiloN] #96584
11/10/06 20:26
11/10/06 20:26
A
AlbertoT Offline
Serious User
AlbertoT  Offline
Serious User
A

write down what your game should have...

It is a nice suggestion but I think it is valid for people having already a good experience with game programming
There is a potential danger: writing down something too complicated
For beginners , I would suggest to code "fragments" of games
Whatever you have in mind
Just for testing
Then you put the pieces togheter, maybe for a game which have nothing to do with the original fragments

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de