Hilbert's Hotel

Diskussionsforum zur Unendlichkeit: Theismus, Atheismus, Primzahlen, Unsterblichkeit, das Universum...
Discussing Infinity: theism and atheism, prime numbers, immortality, cosmology, philosophy...

Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Executing Trades on Next Bar Open
by Zheka. 06/20/24 14:26
Lapsa's very own thread
by rki. 06/19/24 11:27
A simple game ...
by VoroneTZ. 06/18/24 10:50
Face player all the time ...
by bbn1982. 06/18/24 10:25
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (ozgur), 762 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27
19060 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Does chance really exist? #96600
10/30/06 15:12
10/30/06 15:12
V
vartan_s Offline OP
vartan_s  Offline OP
V

I've recently been thinking that chance may not exist at all. In other words, It is possible to predict the future, as long as you know EVERYTHING that is going on. In everything I mean everything down to the atom.

The thing is, everything we do, every interaction on Earth is just an interaction with atoms. So if we had an identical big bang, everything, and I mean everything would be exactly the same. Even if world-altering decisions depended on the roll of a dice, the dice would roll the same way. Exactly the same way... down to the atom.

Think about it. If you always throw the dice from the exact same angle, at the exact same height, from the same floor (all down to the atom)... it would always land the same way.

You might think "But I have control over what I do, so that isn't 'fate' ". But then again we don't control what we want, what we feel. So in a way, we actually have absolutely no control over what we do.

The advantage of believing in this theory for me, is that it stops you pondering 'what ifs' in life. There are no what ifs.

Now think if (lol a what if, but not in the way I meant it) in the big bang one atom was altered. Think how much it could change, even to the point where humans might not exist.

Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: vartan_s] #96601
10/30/06 15:23
10/30/06 15:23
Damocles Offline
Expert
Damocles  Offline
Expert

It is this deteministic "Pool Billiard" view.
You are right for really large objects (marcocosmos)

But when going down to atomic level, the quantumeffects
prohibit to measure and predict the current and future states.

These effect get really small in large scale systems,
but are very valid for small systems.

So the probabilistics of quantumeffects will not change wheter a star will explode or not,
(the probabilistic behaviour of the thousands of atoms will even out to have any significan impact)
but they will decide, whether a Uranium-atom will fall appart now,
or in 1 hour.

So if you devcide your fate on whether a star will explode or not,
is a game of no chances, since you know the future.
(well if you had all information, but I mean there is only one possible future for the specific star)

Deciding your fate on whether a Geiger-Counter will click now or in 2 seconds
is a game of complete chance.
(cant be predicted for shure !)

Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: vartan_s] #96602
10/30/06 16:27
10/30/06 16:27
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
I'm quite sure chance exists. However I do sort of believe in relative chance more than a 0.0000032423023464567 chance. Randomness exists too, not sure how I could prove this, but chance is there too. I don't believe in 'paths that we simply must follow'.

OT:
Quote:

But then again we don't control what we want, what we feel. So in a way, we actually have absolutely no control over what we do.

I'm quite sure I can control what I want and especially what I wish to feel. Emotions can be supressed (not saying that's healthy ) so basically we can feel how we want and actions do not really have limits, there's only a mental limit. "Thinking" you're not able to do something usually won't get you there as easily as a more positive attitude and confidence. I understand there are certain 'limits', but most of them are physical of nature, not a limit in choice.

(e.g. try to breath underwater longer than the current world record probably won't get you anywhere, however you're definately free to try.)

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: PHeMoX] #96603
10/30/06 17:17
10/30/06 17:17
V
vartan_s Offline OP
vartan_s  Offline OP
V

So randomness does exist... its something Einstein wouldn't agree with you on; 'God does not play dice'

PHeMoX, I see what you mean, but that's not the point. The point is, if I knew every detail of your mind I could predict what you are going to do in given situations. That's because, just like a computer your mind is built to respond to things a certain way. You react to your surroundings, the way your mentality lets you, just like a computer if then structure (much, much more complex though). Believe it or not, like the computer, you have no choice in it. The way your mind works, which is determined by your genetics and your environment, affects what you do, not you.

I think that's the best way to explain it, and I'm not psychiatrist, so that's open for discussion, but that's my theory.

Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: vartan_s] #96604
10/30/06 20:06
10/30/06 20:06
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
Either there is true randomness, or way too many factors for us to calculate at this time. This included the possibility of different dimensions we can't observe, but they can still have effect on us.

In any case, it is as good as random from our perception.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI
Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: Doug] #96605
10/30/06 21:14
10/30/06 21:14
Coppell, Texas
Ran Man Offline
Expert
Ran Man  Offline
Expert

Coppell, Texas
Yes, true "randomness" does indeed exist. Just look below.
Quote:

x = int(random(10)); // x is set to a number between 0 and 9

The new "NOAH 2" game in development is sooo random that nobody can ever predict it. Guaranteed!
Woo, Ha, Ha!

Or I mean that no human can...
I guess that GOD can, however, because he can interpret c-script code running in real time on any PC, so he has an advantage with predicting all kinds of things...

Btw, isn't true "chance" pre-defined as not knowing events?
WHO is this person? Human, GOD or what?

The subject of "true" CHANCE really depends on who is observing it, right?

A un-knowledgable bum on the street, for example, probably experiences more chance than we do?

Last edited by Ran Man; 10/30/06 21:18.

Cougar Interactive

www.zoorace.com
Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: Ran Man] #96606
10/31/06 10:29
10/31/06 10:29
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
I'm afraid I can't agree to what you said. GOD can _not_ predict the development of your NOAH 2 game. No matter how hard he tries, GOD will never be able to tell how many bugs are still in your C-Script code.

You don't believe that? The mathematical proof is here:

http://manual.conitec.net/bugs.htm#proof

Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: Ran Man] #96607
10/31/06 12:00
10/31/06 12:00
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
Quote:

Yes, true "randomness" does indeed exist. Just look below.
Quote:

x = int(random(10)); // x is set to a number between 0 and 9

The new "NOAH 2" game in development is sooo random that nobody can ever predict it. Guaranteed!
Woo, Ha, Ha!

but be sure you call a randomize() at the very beginning. i for myself call three randomize() functions at certain points, because of the random seed phenomen.

Quote:

But then again we don't control what we want, what we feel. So in a way, we actually have absolutely no control over what we do.

??what? poor humans if you dont control what you want and what you feel

Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: vartan_s] #96608
10/31/06 14:19
10/31/06 14:19
Netherlands
PHeMoX Offline
Senior Expert
PHeMoX  Offline
Senior Expert

Netherlands
Quote:

God does not play dice

I've found something on Einstein's view though;

Einstein's view was what would now be called, a hidden variable theory. Hidden variable theories might seem to be the most obvious way to incorporate the Uncertainty Principle into physics. They form the basis of the mental picture of the universe, held by many scientists, and almost all philosophers of science. But these hidden variable theories are wrong. The British physicist, John Bell, who died recently, devised an experimental test that would distinguish hidden variable theories. When the experiment was carried out carefully, the results were inconsistent with hidden variables. Thus it seems that even God is bound by the Uncertainty Principle, and can not know both the position, and the speed, of a particle. So God does play dice with the universe. All the evidence points to him being an inveterate gambler, who throws the dice on every possible occasion.

Einstein wasn't right about everything, or so it seems.

Quote:

The point is, if I knew every detail of your mind I could predict what you are going to do in given situations.

I doubt this is possible, even if you knew every detail of my mind. What I think is not the only thing that influences how my (re)action would be, like you've said yourself.

Quote:

The way your mind works, which is determined by your genetics and your environment, affects what you do, not you.

It may influence, it still doesn't decide for you what you're going to do next. It's a combination of factor, some of which can be influenced very easily, external factors are harder to influence, but still it's possible. Real life is usually not like all those 'soaps' you see on TV, people tend to react not that predictable, sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. You can't predict a persons life, at least definately not by just knowing that person's mind and genetic character.

Cheers

PHeMoX, Innervision Software (c) 1995-2008

For more info visit: Innervision Software
Re: Does chance really exist? [Re: Doug] #96609
10/31/06 14:53
10/31/06 14:53
V
vartan_s Offline OP
vartan_s  Offline OP
V

Quote:

Either there is true randomness, or way too many factors for us to calculate at this time. This included the possibility of different dimensions we can't observe, but they can still have effect on us.

In any case, it is as good as random from our perception.

There are too many factors, but I was suggesting that there was no true randomness.

Just remember, when I say 'know everything', I mean know everything, beyond humanly possible.

PHeMoX, you speak about factors that affect your decision apart from genetics and character. What if I knew all these factors. No human can predict what another will do. But could someone who knows the 'everything' I discussed earlier? If there is no true randomness, then your whole life is laid out in front of you. No chance. There is no choice. Therefore you have no choice.

Like a computer with no random(); (even that I don't think is really randomness, just to simplify things). It will always do the same thing with the same situation. Whether it has feelings, desire or conscienceness like a human is irrelevant. It will always do the same thing, in the same situation.

Ofc, this depends on whether randomness or chance exists, especially in the human brain itself.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  jcl, Lukas, old_bill, Spirit 

Kompaktes W�rterbuch des UnendlichenCompact Dictionary of the Infinite