Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AemStones, AndrewAMD, gamers, Kingware), 1,679 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Choosing the server hardware #104246
12/28/06 22:39
12/28/06 22:39
Latvia
Leonardo Offline OP
Leonardo  Offline OP

Latvia
Not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but I guess it fits in the Distribution category.
So, my question is - what hardware should I choose for a server that would host a game made in 3DGS. What I should focus on, which pieces are the most vital?
I know you need a description of the game.
It is an online game, much like an MMORPG (That word hurts your ears doesn't it?), but with a huge difference. The camera is static and it is played like a website-based online game. Which means, that the positions of all the clients are not updated, and that cuts down on packet sending a lot. So basically, the only updates sent are the player's inventory items and player's stats. The updates are not sent in a period of time, but as soon as something changes, to evenly distribute the load on the server. Also, all the vital computations (attacking, item usage etc.) are happening server-side (for security reasons) so that adds to the load a bit.
And the packets sent during the play consist only of pure variables and skills, no arrays, no strings. (I just thought it would be important for you to know).

That should be enough information. If you need to know more, just ask.
Oh, and could someone be so kind as to also tell me, how many times would the bandwidth usage increase if I were to add a moving camera and update the client positions? Just wondering...

Thank you.

EDIT: Just as I had posted, I forgot to add, that the server will be used to host my website too and also all the game files so people could download them (The game will be free). I guess that is a vital factor too.

Last edited by Leonardo; 12/28/06 22:42.

"Things of the mind left untested by the senses are useless."
Re: Choosing the server hardware [Re: Leonardo] #104247
12/30/06 19:20
12/30/06 19:20
Ukraine
Lion_Ts Offline
Serious User
Lion_Ts  Offline
Serious User

Ukraine
Quote:

could someone be so kind as to also tell me, how many times would the bandwidth usage increase if I were to add a moving camera and update the client positions?

no one, i think. it's all reletad to YOUR implementatin of the project.
my bet is to try a closed test run.
run your game server app, make some automated clients (like bots) and populate them on your system. connect them via loopback for a first test and mesure system load for server process. this is the 'dirty' test, but even with this you can see how much memory eats your server app and after which number of clients it will crash the PC , additionaly you can sniff net activity (for packet sizes, for example) or drop diag info (like timeouts) from your clients into text files. with that diag info you can approximate your results for a bigger number of clients.
do second test in simple lan (connect 2 PCs directly with 'crossed' cable /you can find info about this in the web/ if you don't have a lan)
after you'll rewrite your server a little , you can make beta test with small team of friends over internet.

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de