Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 984 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? #152359
09/07/07 08:03
09/07/07 08:03
M
maxxoros Offline OP
maxxoros  Offline OP
M

Hi

I am asking If A7 is really support FBX animation fully. I need an official reply from Conitec so I could decide to buy A7 or not. I have tested with trial and come with this conclusion:

1. FBX could be imported with mesh, bone and bone animation
2. Skinning always has problem. I have search and find out some guys say it is limited in Demo version, but I can not find any about this in Manual or Readme.

So If the FBX bone animation work correctly with current version of A7 now.

Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: maxxoros] #152360
09/07/07 10:30
09/07/07 10:30
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

If you want an official response, it might be better to place this in Ask Conitec, although jcl does have a history of answering questions in this section. Doug might chime in here if he sees this, although he'll probably give you the "this isn't official; I only work here" line.

One limitation is that FBX will only support 1 bone per vertex in all editions except Pro (similar to the MDL7 format). The Pro version's FBX will support up to 4 bones per vertex. I believe weighting is also supported. I haven't tested the FBX side of things nor read the manual on this.

There's also a chance that the feature is still in a more experimental stage (ala the new lightmapper), so perhaps this is the reason for the skin problem. If memory serves, A7 supports both the 2005 and 2006 versions of FBX (they're different), so perhaps that is also something to take into consideration if you're using an older modeling app (or IF there is a 2007 version and your app exports this version and A7 has problems with it).

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: Orange Brat] #152361
09/07/07 10:53
09/07/07 10:53
M
maxxoros Offline OP
maxxoros  Offline OP
M

If all the version of 3DGS is not supported 4 bone/vertex, it s not FAIR. I wonder how user of other A7 version could make BONE ANIMATION.

Let s see, there are NO bone animation exporter for 3DSMax,Maya, XSI and many other 3D Application.

And because Conitec DOES NOT support, develop any plugin, so we normal user must have a way to make skeletal animation. But now I feel so disappointed

Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: maxxoros] #152362
09/07/07 11:01
09/07/07 11:01
planet.earth
ello Offline
Senior Expert
ello  Offline
Senior Expert

planet.earth
Quote:

Let s see, there are NO bone animation exporter for 3DSMax,Maya, XSI and many other 3D Application.

if your application exports fbx than it might export bones animation, too. it may be that the app doesnt use bones internally which will result in a not exported animation. cinema4d for example uses joints instead of bones (r10) and thus joint-animations are not exported. bones-animations are exported

Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: maxxoros] #152363
09/07/07 11:06
09/07/07 11:06
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

Quote:

If all the version of 3DGS is not supported 4 bone/vertex, it s not FAIR. I wonder how user of other A7 version could make BONE ANIMATION.

And because Conitec DOES NOT support, develop any plugin, so we normal user must have a way to make skeletal animation. But now I feel so disappointed

As for the "fair" comment, I see this as a matter of simple economics and business. Of course, this is simply my opinion, but it is a very enticing feature; thus it's inclusion into Pro. I'm sure it will trickle down to at least commercial some day (and maybe it should have been placed there in the first place); however don't expect that for a very long time. Keep in mind that it's a give and take situation. When new versions come out certain Pro only feature trickle down (unlimited physics and render to texture are at least two that did when A7 was introduced...physics isn't that big of a deal given Newton but the other was very generous of them given it has been Pro only for years) and new features are made Pro only in return (or in the case of BSP it trickled up to Pro only but it's a different variety of BSP and not ths same as what we had for the past 7-8 years).

As for the exporter issue, this has been discussed forever. I AGREE that Conitec should provide official exporters or license QUALITY ones (or provide links to exporters that work flawlessly with 3DGS); however in order to do this (in-house) they have to license the software. While I'm sure Conitec is rolling in dough, they can't go buying up multiple apps that costs hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars.

There are some alternatives, though. Wings3D exports/imports FBX mesh (no animations or bones given it isn't an animation program). The excellent fragMotion animation program already supports full MDL7 export and fragmo plans on incorporating FBX export in a future version. Hopefully, it will work with 3DGS (I've reminded him a couple of times that 3DGS now supports FBX, so he is aware of this potentially lucrative market). Milkshape supports FBX, although I don't know anything about the quality of export. I don't know if Blender supports it or not.

Other more experienced animators (what am I saying, I have no experience ) can comment and add more educated comments or potential ways to get a quality FBX model into the engine (meaning a perfect one).

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: maxxoros] #152364
09/07/07 11:17
09/07/07 11:17
M
maxxoros Offline OP
maxxoros  Offline OP
M

PS: and I am using Maya 8.5, and I have option to choose which FBX version to export

Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: maxxoros] #152365
09/07/07 11:25
09/07/07 11:25
M
maxxoros Offline OP
maxxoros  Offline OP
M

Yes, I agree about advanced feature of Pro version, but I am talking about the most BASIC of a game engine that user must have, the game format. We must have a way to make content into game, and for all case, the Software Supplier should encourage user to do it, not limit them. There are thousand of thing that may make different between Pro and other version: dyn light, physic, terrain, but the file format should be support the same. It should not be some kind of advanced feature.

Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: maxxoros] #152366
09/07/07 12:03
09/07/07 12:03
M
maxxoros Offline OP
maxxoros  Offline OP
M

Okie, so I will give the sample for this case, so any one could test. Not only .FBX but also .X, the alternative way for porting skeletal animation in 3DGS

1. X version

Download .X version here

This is a Standard X file. The bone influence is 3 maximum in vertex. But when import into MED, it reduces bone influence/vertex/1, the result like this.

2. FBX version

Download .FBX version here

I use 11.2006 version, and will explain the result I get. The FBX plugin of Maya so there are no problem with this version file

When import FBX, there are an option, and if we dont check import bone, we get vertex animation

But if check, we get no animation, only BONE. There are an inform panel before importing finish

So could any one pay time to test these function too

Last edited by maxxoros; 09/07/07 12:28.
Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: maxxoros] #152367
09/07/07 12:22
09/07/07 12:22
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
I would forward your FBX file to the developers so that they can look into your problem, but your links give me a 404.

Re: Does A7 REALLY SUPPORT FBX animation? [Re: jcl] #152368
09/07/07 12:29
09/07/07 12:29
M
maxxoros Offline OP
maxxoros  Offline OP
M

Sorry, I have fix the link, hope you could give the answer soon.

Last edited by jcl; 09/07/07 13:45.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  old_bill, Tobias 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de