Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (monk12), 1,487 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Models and Light #170756
12/03/07 09:14
12/03/07 09:14
U
unnamed Offline OP
unnamed  Offline OP
U

Hi,
I'm new here, working with A6 and having some problems.
At first, I'm into graphics and not really familiar with c-script or c-lite.
I'd like to do a small game only with models (blocks suxx).
I create my models in cinema4D and export and import them into wed.
works quite well, but I have many problems with the light setting.
I'm using dynamic lights, but the level is standard-bright without any static light source, I guess you know what I mean. So I can't really create a nice setting. The models aren't really effected by the lights at all..
what I mean is, If I have a ball-mdl and place it in front of a yellow dyn light, the front is yellow, but the back is NOT dark... it is as bright as the rest of the level... If i use some static lights instead, I get the same effect...

So how can I make NICE levels with nice models and a nice lightsetting??

Re: Models and Light [Re: unnamed] #170757
12/03/07 10:38
12/03/07 10:38
Lübeck
Slin Offline
Expert
Slin  Offline
Expert

Lübeck
Shaders should help you...

Re: Models and Light [Re: Slin] #170758
12/03/07 14:07
12/03/07 14:07
Sweden
tindust Offline
tindust  Offline

Sweden
You can create great looking environments without shaders too. I reckon you know that and that's why you did not ask about shaders.

For starters you can try a few things. It mainly has to do with the default light settings of the level and material setting of the models. There are a few options you have. First make sure you give the models a skin with a material in the MED editor and also "dress" its surface with a texture if you want. If you don't give the model a material it will get a default material assigned to it by the engine (that's why it looks lit). You can also assign a shader in the effect option there if you want to and if you can find an appropriate one.

You then have a few options in the WED too when you place the model into your level and look at the entity properties. There are checkboxes for various flags. To get a good goaroud shading and "nice" 3D model look try turning off bright an turn on unlit. These flags and more can also ne set in an action that you assign to your model. Sometimes it seems to work better when setting the model flags in an action that has been assigned to the model. You can also play with the ambient and other material settings here.

Hope you get things working with these hints, good luck,
tindust

p.s. there might be some info that will help you at dynalights.com. It has a few free help files available in the download section.

Last edited by tindust; 12/03/07 14:13.
Re: Models and Light [Re: tindust] #170759
12/03/07 16:44
12/03/07 16:44
EpsiloN Offline
User
EpsiloN  Offline
User

Quote:

If you don't give the model a material it will get a default material assigned to it by the engine (that's why it looks lit).

So , why old models from the AU page are dark when they are away from a lightsource and my own models are totaly lit It looks weird sometimes when you see something fully lit when there is darkness everywhere... I dont use materials , only one skin without alpha channels.

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201
Re: Models and Light [Re: EpsiloN] #170760
12/03/07 17:05
12/03/07 17:05
Sweden
tindust Offline
tindust  Offline

Sweden
Yeah, there are some other flag settings that also have an effect. Have a look at this old thread that discusses the issue and refers to the influence of materials. Hopefully that will shed enough light on the question .

Re: Models and Light [Re: tindust] #170761
12/03/07 17:13
12/03/07 17:13
EpsiloN Offline
User
EpsiloN  Offline
User

I'm not using materials or dynamic lights I'm using only static lights , and the model remains lit with ambient to 0. Older models (as I mentioned from AU) or the guard model for example assigned with the same action & same settings is normaly lit , dark when its not near my light sources. The same doesnt apply with my own models (modelled & textured by me) with 256x256 skins and no materials , done in max and exported thry .3ds files. It shouldnt happend , but it does. Two models I made are a 'crate'(simple box with a texture) and a 'metal platform' with a little more complex shape than a simple box
Maby its something I'm doing wrong in the 'texture' settings of a model , I dunno , but there is no material and other models work great.
PS.: This does not apply to models directly created in MED (not exported) I think , I'll check again tommorow.

Extensive Multiplayer tutorial:
http://mesetts.com/index.php?page=201
Re: Models and Light [Re: EpsiloN] #170762
12/03/07 22:46
12/03/07 22:46
U
unnamed Offline OP
unnamed  Offline OP
U

Thank you very much, tindust!!

I'll play a bit with the material in MED.
When I get good results, I'll let you know.

What would be the shader alternative?
When I think about shader, the first thing that pops in my mind is
Bumbmapping and creating normal maps of my texture. is that the way it should be?

[EDIT]I MADE IT!!! YES!!! I'm so happy!

Ok for everyone having the same problems like me, here is a small Tut on how to get the right settings for the models:

WORKS WITH DYN (AND STATIC LIGHTS IN A ROOM WITH BLOCKS)

1. Open MED and open you model
2. Edit -> Manage Skins
3. If you have a Skin, just click "Skin Settings"
If you don't have a skin, create one.
4. Click "Material Setup" and change the following:
Diffuse: 128,128,128
Ambient: 0,0,0
Specular: 0,0,0
Emissive: 0,0,0
Power: 0
Alpha: 100

5. Save and open your level in WED
6. turn on "Unlit" (shadow&cast if you want) and make sure "bright" is off

That should do it.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by unnamed; 12/04/07 00:33.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de