Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,091 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
GameStudio versions and downloads... #184334
02/16/08 17:51
02/16/08 17:51
J
JustOneOldMan Offline OP
JustOneOldMan  Offline OP
J

Okay, I just purchased a license for GS (thanks again, foodstamp) and have a very basic question. I've looked through the FAQ, readme, manual, and the forums here but maybe my questions are so basic no one has asked them before.

I recieved the license and key file and the password file. There didn't seem to be a place on the site to use the password to download a copy of A7 Commercial, so I assumed I should apply the key to the trial download. I did that and everything was okay, but I don't see anywhere in the About or onscreen where it says what license I have (Extra, Commercial, Pro). I assume I have Commercial, but how do I know, or do you just use code and syntax that only works with Commercial and assume you have Commercial by the license you purchased? As in just don't use anything with a P in front of it?

In other words, is the trial the full version with capabilities only limited (or not limited) by the type of license you apply to the trial? Sorry for the very basic question, but it's a little confusing.

Also, when a product update comes out do you download the complete version and reinstall? That seems to be the case, but just thought I'd check. It's good to get all the real rookie questions out of the way right up front...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music
Re: GameStudio versions and downloads... [Re: JustOneOldMan] #184335
02/16/08 18:07
02/16/08 18:07
ventilator Offline
Senior Expert
ventilator  Offline
Senior Expert

yes, you have to download the trial version and then apply your key. you can see what edition you have in wed's about box.

updates get installed over your existing installation. they usually haven't been a full installation.

Re: GameStudio versions and downloads... [Re: ventilator] #184336
02/16/08 18:18
02/16/08 18:18
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
@ventilator: That update thing seems to have changed with A7.
Otherwise I have no explanation for the hugh file size of the updates. They are as big as the trial download afaik.

@JustOneOldMan:
Applying the key is pretty easy. You copy and paste the .key file into the main 3dgs folder.
Example:
C:\Programs\GStudio7\

That should be all you have to do

Oh and yes the trial version is the full version but limited to the "trial-limits" depending on the key (licence) specific features get "un-locked".

Re: GameStudio versions and downloads... [Re: Xarthor] #184337
02/16/08 18:25
02/16/08 18:25
V
Vadim647 Offline
Vadim647  Offline
V

If you want to be sure with edition, you can run script:
Code:

var ed;

PANEL ed_pan =
{
digits(10,10,"%.0f","Arial#16b",1,ed);
flags = VISIBLE;
}

function main()
{
level_load(NULL);
wait(3);
ed = edition;
}

Look at the helpfile.

I switched to other account since marth 2010. Guess which.
Re: GameStudio versions and downloads... [Re: Vadim647] #184338
02/16/08 19:22
02/16/08 19:22
J
JustOneOldMan Offline OP
J

Thanks everybody.

@Vladim647: Thanks for the code snip, works great.

@ventilator: You're right about WED's About box, I hadn't noticed it in there. I looked at SED and MED and it's not in there, must have overlooked it in WED. Thanks.

@Xarthor: Ya, I got the key in okay, but then I wasn't sure if everything was the way it was supposed to be. Also, I thought the updates were done by just downloading the trial again. When I click on Updates under WED/Help it just takes me to the standard download page, and the only thing I see there besides the trial are the updates for older versions.

Anyway, that answers my questions. I've downloaded most of the tutorials and anything else I could find, guess it's time to get the coffee made and start playing. I don't think the switch over from Torque is going to be too bad, GS seems to be much more intuitive up front and the large volume of tutorials and help files are nice...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music
Re: GameStudio versions and downloads... [Re: JustOneOldMan] #184339
02/16/08 20:52
02/16/08 20:52
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Congrats on your new Dev Suit, hope it all works out ok for you.

Re: GameStudio versions and downloads... [Re: Nems] #184340
02/16/08 22:10
02/16/08 22:10
J
JustOneOldMan Offline OP
J

Thanks Nems, I'm sure it will. I'm already noticing a big difference in communities. Over at GG I've watched new people come in over the last few years and everyone is nice when they just post to say hello, but they get a little nasty the first time someone asks a "silly" question. Or they answer questions with a "Use the search" when the search over there doesn't even work most of the time.

As far as the software goes, I'm having a good time with it. Spent a little too much time playing with the Pong demo, but I couldn't let the computer beat me at it.

My biggest problem has always been (and still is) that I don't do graphics, so it's nice to see all the community donated stuff on the site. At least I can have some placeholder things while I'm working. Really nice of the members to make those things available.

If this package works out as well as it looks like it will, I still think I'll get the Pro version after while. It's a big price differential for the additional capabilities, but they're things I'd like to work with. I'll see you around here and over at that other place now and then...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music
Re: GameStudio versions and downloads... [Re: JustOneOldMan] #184341
02/16/08 23:51
02/16/08 23:51
Wellington
Nems Offline

Nems  Offline

Wellington
Cool and your right about Pro, its worth the features.
Good to see 'the other place' in your sig, makes for another good place to go for serious developers looking to talk and share.

Re: GameStudio versions and downloads... [Re: Nems] #184342
02/17/08 00:17
02/17/08 00:17
J
JustOneOldMan Offline OP
J

Quote:

Good to see 'the other place' in your sig, makes for another good place to go for serious developers looking to talk and share.

Hope so, Nems. It's a little different than most places, but I think if a few talented people start to hang out there it will draw a lot more in. The only problem with a site that's dedicated to a single product (even really good ones) is that you don't always get the diversity you might find on a site like that. It would be interesting to see a wider range of people getting together to share ideas and have input that you might not get from a single product type site. The only problem with a new site is finding ways to entice people into the site to get things started.

I figure as long as I have this Commercial version I'll go ahead and play with it till I get comfortable with the environment and workflow. Probably try a prototype of the game I have in mind right now to give me an idea of the functionality of Lite-C (I've played a little with WED and MED and they seem pretty straightforward). Then move to the Pro when I'm ready to do the full project. I was having some difficulty doing it in Torque, one step forward two steps back kind of thing...

A7 Commercial
Two Track Music

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de