Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,519 guests, and 8 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rating: 3
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 #197717
11/08/06 00:57
11/08/06 00:57
Italy
Leon Offline OP
The Ancestral Demo v.1.0

Hi this is Pietro Nifosi (aka Leon),
I've been doing indie development (with the partnership of ArkanaStudios) for the past few years using the GameStudio A6 Engine, this is so far what I've been learning and improving.
The Ancestral Demo you're about to download was made with the license extra along with its limitations.
I believe that most of the game engine is ready, I'd still go for a better AI system though.
I would like to turn this project Ancestral into a profitable one, or join a new one offering my skills as a 2d/3d artist and personal resources.

Here is a few screenshots of the project:

Here is the link to direct download: http://pnifosi.altervista.org/Ancestral.exe (about 70MB - if the link doesn't work, copy and paste it on your explorer bar)

Cheers,
-Leon

PS= For some odd reasons those users that have the Nod32 antivirus will get an alert message saying that the exe application is a trojan. It is because it was packed using Nacasi software.

Pietro Nifosė >> digital artist / game developer My Personal Portfolio
26 Comments
Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: Leon] #197718
11/08/06 03:02
11/08/06 03:02
Jesusland
Towelie Offline
Serious User
Towelie  Offline
Serious User

Jesusland
The enviornment if flippin creepy, is what I first noticed. Heres a few things I thought of as I played the game:

-The whole game might be a puzzle solver, but we could use more help on the first level. For example, it took me 10 minutes to find the door out of the first room. Something more noticable that red writing o nthe top would be better, I missed the part about right clicking too. A window possibly?
-The character is less than spectacular. His arms stick out too far and is animations are.... weird. I dont know how else to put it, maybe someone else can help?
-The level is too dark. Dark is good, but at least make the places you need to go illuminated so I'm not scaling the walls for 10 minutes...
-The combat system isnt good. I couldnt hit the guy. Maybe going into right click mode to click on the guy would be better, but I died at that point.
-Your hiding system doesnt work, or you need to explain it better. The guy found me right away.
-The games story launches straight into... corny. Not tryign to be offensive but I can't think of any other word (tacky maybe?) Starting wit hthe script, such things as "Oh A noise! A should go check it out." should be replaced. This makes an overall tacky feeling to the game (Do you know where "All your base are belong to us came from? Bad translation, but they'll have the same effect on the player... except we can at least understand yours.)

So much negative so far... Well, my kudos still go to you because this game was Very nicely done. I'm wondering why people arent jumping on this thread. They're probably too busy playing it.
+The games freakign creepy. I always regretted going into the next room (regardless that I didn't see any scary things as far as I got) But the enviornment... Candlelight only, no flashlight to let you see... it really adds up nicely. Very well done.
+The details you put into the level are awesome. Everythings examinable, looks nice, shadows are great... I can go on forever.
+Though the player could move slower, the script all worked nicely.

Good job and keep it up

Jimmy died, today, he blew his brains out into the bay, in the state of mind, its my own private suicide. A stitch in time saves nine... what the hell does that mean?!?
Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: Towelie] #197719
11/08/06 14:19
11/08/06 14:19
Greece
immersionfx Offline
immersionfx  Offline

Greece
The exe shows a "virus detected" message...

Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: immersionfx] #197720
11/08/06 14:29
11/08/06 14:29
Jesusland
Towelie Offline
Serious User
Towelie  Offline
Serious User

Jesusland
Quote:

The exe shows a "virus detected" message...

What virus protection program? I have McAfee, and my computer has been virus free since, and it didnt come up with anything...

Jimmy died, today, he blew his brains out into the bay, in the state of mind, its my own private suicide. A stitch in time saves nine... what the hell does that mean?!?
Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: Towelie] #197721
11/08/06 17:23
11/08/06 17:23
O
Orange Brat Offline

Senior Expert
Orange Brat  Offline

Senior Expert
O

No virus here. Nice atmosphere, although it's pretty tough to see given the darkness. Others have said my own game is dark for them, but I see it perfectly; thus this might be virtually black on certain monitors. Anyway, it has a nice consistency. I really don't like that sound the main character makes every single time he looks at something.

My User Contributions master list - my initial post links are down but scroll down page to find list to active links
Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: Orange Brat] #197722
11/08/06 17:48
11/08/06 17:48
Bay City, MI
lostclimate Offline
Expert
lostclimate  Offline
Expert

Bay City, MI
hey immersionfx, you might want to actually READ his post.

Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: lostclimate] #197723
11/09/06 00:34
11/09/06 00:34
Italy
Leon Offline OP
Leon  Offline OP

Italy
Hi guys,
thank you for your advices, nothing I haven't noticed by myself though while building.. the thing is.. I'm mostly a 2d/3d artist and after that I can say I have a considerable knowledge when it comes to scripting.
Obviously this was all an indie with me having to take care of the whole project.
Yes the level is too dark.. unfortunately there is big difference when switching the level ambient value from 3 to 2.
I've set it back to 3 and the 'virtually black' has disappeared.
The player token was modeled and animated without spending much time on it since I needed it to test the level and the scripts, so you could think of it as a placeholder.
The combat system isn't good, well I actually think that the AI isn't that smart.. that's why I'd have changed the whole script if had the time and chance.
The game story needs absolutely a rewiew and yes there are mistakes when it comes to grammar. Those cinematics flags were also just for testing the dialog engine, the switching of cameras and so on.
All put together doesn't look like a poor quality project in my modest opinion.
It would be great to be hired by someone or to hire someone else.. whatever not to waste the work done on this demo.
Oh and for the shadows.. dinamic shadows don't work on my extra version as long as shaders.. I've been doing texture baking on max.. pretty nice result I'd say.

Cheers,
-Leon

Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: Leon] #197724
11/09/06 21:35
11/09/06 21:35
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

I think its a very good effort for an indie game so far, i like the story and the "feel" of the game, atmosphere and such.

Level is much too dark however, as has been noted already. I'm not sure why this is the case but it seems to me that the dynamic lights have much too small a radius, and they seem to fade out VERY quickjly.. like ten feet away form you they get darker.. why is this?

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: Matt_Aufderheide] #197725
11/09/06 22:24
11/09/06 22:24
Italy
Leon Offline OP
Leon  Offline OP

Italy
Oh it's the black fog.. I wanted to clip to a very thick view since it's night.

Re: The Ancestral Demo v.1.0 [Re: Leon] #197726
11/10/06 00:11
11/10/06 00:11
M
Matt_Aufderheide Offline
Expert
Matt_Aufderheide  Offline
Expert
M

Oh, i suggest get rid of it indoors, becasue there is no fog indoors

It really is too dark and impossble to find anything.. this spoils the game somewhat, which otehrwise is very nice so far

Sphere Engine--the premier A6 graphics plugin.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de