Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AemStones, AndrewAMD, gamers, Kingware), 1,679 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Project Pico10 - WIP #247037
01/18/09 18:04
01/18/09 18:04
Switzerland
Hitsch Offline OP
Hitsch  Offline OP

Switzerland
I've had a game concept flying around in my head for some time now. I once wrote a concept document but then put it away agein. I didn't know much about how to program a game but then later started modeling the main "character" just out of curiousity.

It's what is normaly known as a 'flying car' or kind of a hoovercraft, except that it can fly at any hight. It's shape is taken from a Belgium Comic that is also the basis for the gameconcept. It's called "die Minimenschen", maybe some of you know it. It's about a group of people that got shrunken to a fraction of their size and how they have to deal with their surrounding and stay hidden.

This is one of the vehicles they have:

When I came across 3DGS some time ago I started concepting the idea with some very basic physics and I have been constantly improving it over the past few weeks. With the help of various user constributed scripts from the forum I was able to get it almost exactly how I imagened it.

It is now possible to control the "Glider" very intuitively but on the other hand very presice if necessary.
I'm using the native ODE physics engine for the hoover effect, the boosters are one force that is always directed downwards from the vehicle, just as a helicopter.

The pan, tilt and roll is controlled by the mouse and various key's and the downward thrust is controlled by the mouse wheel.
I've added an autopilot that keeps the glider horizontal and at the present hight once activated. Then there's a few different cameras, one that always stays behind the vehicle and is always directed at it. It's used for flying very fast with the back boosters aktivated and helps to control it very presicely at hight speeds. The second camera is similar, but doesn't turn up and down with the vehicle, it's good for narrow areas and to manouvre close to an object.
It can also be controled by fixed cameras much like a remote plane.

On the bottom of the vehicle are 4 claws that can be manualy opened and used to pick things up, so far it works with coke cans.

I've put togehter a simple map with a few objects that I found in the forum or on other related sites, so most objects are borrowed and only there to show at what scale the game is going to take place.

The idea is to let the player control this vehicle in a normal everyday envirement like a house or a flat. Everything is very big and you will have to deal with everyday objects very differently in order to complete your missions.

I hope you like my idea.
I'm looking forward to some feedback.
Greetz

Some screens with DOF activaded:

Concept Video:

(there's also a highres wmv version that can be changed to on the bottom of the video)

Re: Project Pico10 - WIP [Re: Hitsch] #247039
01/18/09 18:25
01/18/09 18:25
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
hey it looks very nice, keep it up!

(you use some shader on models?like on that coke can?)

Re: Project Pico10 - WIP [Re: Quad] #247059
01/18/09 19:41
01/18/09 19:41
Croatia
croman Offline
Serious User
croman  Offline
Serious User

Croatia
very, very nice. i like it a lot smile

Ubi bene, ibi Patria.
Re: Project Pico10 - WIP [Re: croman] #247064
01/18/09 20:23
01/18/09 20:23
Germany, BaW�
Rondidon Offline
Expert
Rondidon  Offline
Expert

Germany, BaW�
Hi!

According to the video:
The flight physics seem to be great. I think that this type of gameplay has potential. And so has the message beyond it: "Save the planet by destroying garbage" - I think it`s a great, serious game for kids or people who feel young. Keep the great work up! I like it.

Edit: Sorry, I just read that the game hasn`t something to do with garbage, but with "Die Minimenschen". Well, this is even better. Keep the work up.

Last edited by Rondidon; 01/18/09 20:28.
Re: Project Pico10 - WIP [Re: Hitsch] #247344
01/20/09 10:39
01/20/09 10:39
Hamburg, Germany / Springfield...
Andreas C Offline
Andreas C  Offline

Hamburg, Germany / Springfield...
Hitsch,
that is looking very promising ! I like the DOF, too !

How are you handling AI in Pico10 ?

What tools do you use (besides 3DGS) ?

Cheers,
Andreas

Re: Project Pico10 - WIP [Re: Andreas C] #247593
01/21/09 18:42
01/21/09 18:42
Switzerland
Hitsch Offline OP
Hitsch  Offline OP

Switzerland
Thx for your comments!

Quote:
you use some shader on models?like on that coke can?

No I'm not using any shaders other than some bump mapping on the crate. The coke can is just a very (very) highly detailed model and a texture for the label and one for the metal, so the metal effect is static. I couldn't get environment mapping to work yet.

@Rondidon
Quote:
"Save the planet by destroying garbage"

It wasn't the idea to collect and dispose garbage in the game, but that you have to collect useful things in your environment that the colony can use. Get water, fuel, batteries etc.
And you have to defend the colony against danger. Animals and humans, forces like water masses or toxic gases and other things.
The garbage dispose is not a bad idea though, could make it as a side mission smile

I would want the player to have to think from the position of those very little humans, what they have to deal with.
It's a position of weakness because of their size, but they make up for it by using current technology on their own level.

A 'flying car' is actually very possible today, it's just very hard to build one that can lift humans. You can buy toy planes and helicopters everywhere now, and they are just using those as their own vehicles. So they have a lot of advantages like that because they're small but can use our technologies and power supplies.

@Andreas_C
Quote:
How are you handling AI in Pico10 ?

I don't have any AI in my project yet, it's a physics and graphics prototype so far.
But I have been thinking about how I could have a glider fly by itself. Getting it to fly smoothly and follow routes or get to an appointed location is going to be a big issue. Getting it to work in 3D is way beyond my knowledge right now.

I'm using 3DMax for modelling and the rest are 3DGS-Tools. It took me some time to understand them, but now it works alright.

Does "die Minimenschen" mean something to you all or is this a less known comic?
And would you like to see a game like this in a comic-style or more realistic as it is now?

so long...

Last edited by Hitsch; 01/21/09 18:43.
Re: Project Pico10 - WIP [Re: Hitsch] #247684
01/22/09 05:59
01/22/09 05:59
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
Nice smile.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de