Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AemStones, AndrewAMD, gamers, Kingware), 1,679 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19054 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Alpha in MED-Skins causes strange transparency #247517
01/21/09 12:17
01/21/09 12:17
Switzerland
Hitsch Offline OP
Hitsch  Offline OP

Switzerland
If posted about this problem before and have not found a solution yet.

I'm reporting this as a bug now, because no matter what amount of alpha I choose in the MED-Skin settings, the effect is always the same. The part the of model that has the particular skin set to gets completely transparent against parts of the same model and the sky texture. Other models behind it get rendered right, as seen through a transparent material.

I've created a testmap and some testobjects to show the problem.

The bigger, white block should be transparent and the small, red one that goes into the bigger, should be shown as if behind glass.
It's the same problem with the window on the vehicle in the back.
All I did was setting the skin alpha to 80, there's no texture.
I've also tried it without any flags or effects set to the object, just the plain skin set in MED.

Am I using this wrong or is there something going wrong with the render process?

It did work before with an earlier A7 version of Gamestudio!
I'm using 7.6 Commercial now.

This is how it looked like when it worked with the earlier version:

so long...

Re: Alpha in MED-Skins causes strange transparency [Re: Hitsch] #247520
01/21/09 12:29
01/21/09 12:29
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
I think that the fact that it worked before was just pure luck. If a model has no skin, its transparency is taken from the material setting. In older A7 versions that did not expect models without skin, the transparency was undetermined in such a case.

The solution is to use a transparent texture with alpha channel for the transparent part, and a not transparent texture for the nontransparent part. This causes the model to be rendered twice, which is necessary when it has both transparent and nontransparent parts.

Re: Alpha in MED-Skins causes strange transparency [Re: jcl] #247584
01/21/09 17:51
01/21/09 17:51
Switzerland
Hitsch Offline OP
Hitsch  Offline OP

Switzerland
Well then luck once played on my side.
When it comes to software, odds are that something that should work just doesn't, but that something works that actually shouldn't, that's new.

I like the skin settings in MED that allows me to give an object a colour without the need of using a texture. I assume that it takes less resources than a texture, so since my object doesn't need any texture I'd really like to find a solution that doesn't mean I have to give every part a texture.

Could this be turned into a feature?
Since it worked miraculously...

But if there's no such solution, can I give the non-transparent parts a texture with only an alpha channel, so that no texture is actually visible and the defined colours are used?

Re: Alpha in MED-Skins causes strange transparency [Re: Hitsch] #247880
01/23/09 03:56
01/23/09 03:56
Baunatal, Germany
Tobias Offline

Tobias  Offline

Baunatal, Germany
No non transparent parts must not have an alpha channel. If they have an alpha channel they are transparent.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de