Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Akow, 1 invisible), 1,423 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2165
04/12/01 03:27
04/12/01 03:27
Lafayette, LA USA
J
James Snydstrup Offline OP
Senior Expert
James Snydstrup  Offline OP
Senior Expert
J

Lafayette, LA USA
MED has certainly improved over the past year yet it still has one major problem.

When you import animation frames the vertices do not get placed exactly where they should. This results in slight variations of vertex positions from where they should actually be.

I just skinned the face of one of my models and as it runs through its animation frames it looks as if the face is sliding, fluctuating, shifting all over the place.

Once again I have to point out that qME does not have this problem. It imports vertices to their exact positions on all animation frames.

With this problem MED is completely useless to me since the models I make with it look very unprofessional. The skins slide all over the place with or without hi-precision checked in the model properties box. The problem is that the vertices are imported into the wrong place before the model is even saved.

The problem is very easy to verify. Load any of the A5 models from the downloads page into A5/A4 and look at the face as the model walks around. Use the new A5 Conitec guard for instance. It looks as if the face is sliding all over the mesh.

This is absolutely a MED problem. I can load the exact same animation frames into MED or qME and it is only MED that screws up the vertice postions of my models.

Help!

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2166
04/12/01 03:35
04/12/01 03:35

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Nice to see you again, James.

I bet that no help will be forthcoming until the new tools are released. As JCL mentioned, it is pointless to spend time and resources on a tool that will not be 'supported' (i.e. used) in another month or so. Hopefully, the new tools are written from scratch, and MED and WED code is not used at all...

I will also add that I can confirm the problem you have explained.

------------------
"The hooded stranger gently squeezed the trigger and a Trillion Palooka brain cells atomised in the evening sunlight"
DarkHunter

~Spectre~

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2167
04/12/01 03:49
04/12/01 03:49
Lafayette, LA USA
J
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
J

Lafayette, LA USA
Spectre:

Hey, how is Lazerdisk comeing along? I still have the Lazerdisk screen saver on my Win95 partition at work.

I hope this problem gets resolved soon. I am ready to start rolling on my set of realistic human models. No sooner do I start to get on a roll , then WHAM, stop everything MED has a serious problem. I would just go ahead and use qME but it does not support 16bit skins so I am between a rock and a hard place. Even if I build the whole model in qME, as soon as I load it into MED for skinning there go all the vertices slightly out of alignment in all the animation frames.

Oh well, I guess we just need to wait and see...

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2168
04/12/01 04:00
04/12/01 04:00

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Even i have experienced this type of problem.........

for instance ...from no were there is a face on the model which has a totally different skinn xcolor where that part of color is not found anywere in the skin but it still exists.... i was breaking my head on that face.. because it looks very sick for the model as it occurs on the face part of the model........ is there a way to find a solution for this ???????

with regards,
Sac

quote:
Originally posted by Spectre:
Nice to see you again, James.

I bet that no help will be forthcoming until the new tools are released. As JCL mentioned, it is pointless to spend time and resources on a tool that will not be 'supported' (i.e. used) in another month or so. Hopefully, the new tools are written from scratch, and MED and WED code is not used at all...

I will also add that I can confirm the problem you have explained.

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2169
04/12/01 06:09
04/12/01 06:09
Lafayette, LA USA
J
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
J

Lafayette, LA USA
sac:

You have a different problem that is most likely not MED's fault. You probably have a triangle in your face that is not obviously visible. For example, you could have two vertices that have two lines connected between them instead of one. As you lay out the skin it will be impossible for you to select this triangle of no width.

Another problem could be that you have two vertices in the exact same postion. This will also give you a poly that is virtually invisible.

Your best bet is to double check your mesh.

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2170
04/12/01 15:32
04/12/01 15:32

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

HI James,

I hope it is the model's problem only... but i zooomed in like any thing and found that in that place there is no other triangle other than this... its a extruded part of a face of one of my actor.... and it connects perfectly with all other triangles to from the perfect mesh.... and i can't see any vertexes around or near that triangle......... what would be the problem ...please help !!

with regards,
Sac

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2171
05/12/01 06:20
05/12/01 06:20
Lafayette, LA USA
J
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
J

Lafayette, LA USA
I need to post a correction.

The innacuracies I was noticing was occuring when I loaded a .mdl or .md2 saved from qME, not when importing .3ds animation frames. MED, in fact, will import vertices into their proper positions and save vertices in their proper positions when 'hi prec' is checked. Sorry about the confusion. I just sorted this out myself.

I was useing qME in the first place since I could exactly scale the model where I wanted it. I have noticed that MED will shift individual animation frames out of alignment after scaleing from very large to small or vice versa. I now do all my scaleing in Truespace and have eliminated qME entirely. I just import into MED at 100% scale and the model is sized properly for WED.

However, there still is the problem of inaccurate vertex placement when loading a .mdl or .md2 model saved from qME. Also, there is still the problem with scaleing in MED throwing animation frames 'off center'.

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2172
05/12/01 16:01
05/12/01 16:01

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Hi. I too get ths problem when loading *.md2 files but *.mdl files seem fine. The vertex co-ordinates are shifted vertically up and down. My character does it horrificly at the moment, but as my game is nowhere near complete, I'm putting up with it at least until the new MED comes out. Maybe that'll fix the problem. if not then..... maybe I could put it in the storyline somewhere that my character has a nervous twich!!

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2173
05/12/01 16:30
05/12/01 16:30

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

It's strange that every 2 weeks someone comes up with always the same model creating problems. This was certainly discussed here over a dozen times. There is nothing we can fix.

If the standard MDL resolution is too low for your particular model, read the MED manual about increasing the resolution through High Prec.

Re: MED Inaccurate Vertex Placement #2174
05/13/01 02:09
05/13/01 02:09
Lafayette, LA USA
J
Senior Expert
Senior Expert
J

Lafayette, LA USA
JCL:

That is why I posted my retraction. MED will, in fact, import and save animation frames with no vertices out of place. As I have stated I have taken qME out of the picture entirely and now use MED exclusively to contruct the .mdl file. I have no problems doing this. Sorry about the confusion.

There was a problem with animation frames importing 'off center' in MED but that has already been corrected. You even offered the solution of putting extra vertices at the outermost points the models bounding box so that the frames import centered and then deleteing them afterward. That was the notorious model 'slideing' problem. That has since been fixed and thank you for doing so. It was only in the context of this previous 'sliding' problem that I thought there still may be some issues. However, I am wrong about that. MED is working quite accurately now when importing frames.

My recent problem was loading a .md2 or .mdl saved from qME. That problem is probably due to qME not saveing the models with the correct 'resolution'. It has nothing to do with MED.

Haveing said that, I consider this topic closed.

BTW, have a nice day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de