Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,507 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Game Updates/Share Ware/File size #20029
11/19/03 11:02
11/19/03 11:02
Wade_Adams Offline OP
Serious User
Wade_Adams  Offline OP
Serious User

Is there a way to distribute a game as multiple files or to have the first couple of levels in one file and the rest in another file. This would offer a shareware distribution model as well as not forcing a potential customer to make a large download up front. I am well into development of a "venture" like RPG. I took what I like about the venture script and tore it apart and exspanded it with additional inventory and spells. I have done most of the art work and scripts and I am currently working on level development (the file is huge)

Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament.
Kent Beck
Re: Game Updates/Share Ware/File size [Re: Wade_Adams] #20030
11/20/03 11:45
11/20/03 11:45
Wade_Adams Offline OP
Serious User
Wade_Adams  Offline OP
Serious User

Is no one had this problem before? I would figure that most people are attempting to market their completed product through the internet with a dowload distrubution model. Also there would seem to be a need to send your paying users patches and update based on their input or bug that will crop up after release. Packing everything up in one execuable doesn't seem to allow, but not packing everthing up leaves everything open to be pirated or hacked. Is there a middle ground that would allow updates and such but not leave everything open?

Kent Beck
Re: Game Updates/Share Ware/File size [Re: Wade_Adams] #20031
11/20/03 12:19
11/20/03 12:19
Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
myrlyn68 Offline
Senior Expert
myrlyn68  Offline
Senior Expert

Margaritaville (Redneck Rivier...
Your best bet is to make sure you squash all the bugs prior to "shipping." It can be done believe it or not, and is not that hard to do - especially when you do not have a publisher who is threatening you with breach if you do not go gold in time to ship by X date.

Although I have not used the Pro file packer (Commercial user here), the way it is described, it seems you can actually package things into seperate resource files. This way you can have one that contains the scripts and other potentially bugged items - another for models - and yet another for sounds or what ever. Again, this is just from the way the manual reads so I might be mistaken.

The downside is that if you build it - they will crack it. Warez users do not care if you sell 10 copies at $5 each or 5,000,000 copies at $50 each. It's just the way they are, not really a matter of cost or protection used.

You can also look at the numerous third party solutions here. I recall Thinstall allows for patching of the packaged file.

Virtual Worlds - Rebuilding the Universe one Pixel at a Time. Take a look - daily news and weekly content updates.
Re: Game Updates/Share Ware/File size [Re: myrlyn68] #20032
11/20/03 12:41
11/20/03 12:41
Wade_Adams Offline OP
Serious User
Wade_Adams  Offline OP
Serious User

Thanks I will take a look at Thinstall. I am a comercial user as well.

Kent Beck
Re: Game Updates/Share Ware/File size [Re: Wade_Adams] #20033
11/21/03 05:01
11/21/03 05:01
Bay Area
Doug Offline
Senior Expert
Doug  Offline
Senior Expert

Bay Area
The published engine checks to make sure that script files haven't changed (to stop hacking and virus problems). So you can't release script patches and still use the original engine.

The good news is that the engine itself is fairly small compared to most people's content (about 1.5MB). If you are going to release a patch, you can just include the new engine as well. You will probably want to do this anyway since we (Conitec) release updated engines every couple of months.

Conitec's Free Resources:
User Magazine || Docs and Tutorials || WIKI

Moderated by  HeelX, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de