Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
6 registered members (AndrewAMD, Ayumi, degenerate_762, 7th_zorro, VoroneTZ, HoopyDerFrood), 1,268 guests, and 6 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Gallery
Next Gallery
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) #255486
03/10/09 20:19
03/10/09 20:19
8 Images
/www/europe/ germany/index.php
TSG_Torsten Offline OP

User
Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP)

Hello everyone,

since more than a year i'm working on the online multiplayer project "Bounci Madness". I've already shown some impressions of the first versions of it. Already this versions were one of the few real-working multiplayer games in A6/A7.
Now, the new version 2 is released. It offers many new features, an even-better multiplayer core, computer-controlled players (Bots) and a complete remake of the game-graphics. Also, some new technics of A7 (like the data-compression) has been implemented.

What kind of game is "Bounci Madness"?
Bounci Madness is an online Multiplayer Game. Every player plays a ball on a roof-top of a skyscraper and has to do different things. The game-targets are very diversely in dependance of the current game mode. For example, in one game modes you have to catch a flag and hold them for a couple of seconds.
In an other game mode - called "Sudden-Death" - you play on dynamically grounds and "just" have to stay as the last one the map - sounds easy? Isn't it!

The Multiplayer Features
Bounci Madness is (as far as I know) one of the few working multiplayer games which use the native engine transfer for data-exchange.
- You can configure your server via config files (manually and with extern tools) and while runtime over a client-console
- Every server will be listed in a online-server list which can be browsed in the game and online
- Up to 30 players can compete on each server

Computer-Controlled-Players ("Bots")
On the server, you can add players which are controlled by the server. They have a complex algorithm in order to understand the different targets of the current game mode and to behave as "normal" as possible. Well, sometimes they behave very strange, but they are just a small extra to fill up the servers (like you do it in other online games like "Counter-Strike")

The Physics
To simulate a realistic behaviour of every ball, Bounci Madness is doing all physic-calculations on the server. Also, Bounci Madness has a lot of special physic functions like magnetic behaviour of objects, Jump-Platforms or Real-Time Shape-Manipulation (Morph the ball into a cube, for example)

The Graphics
We use dynamic soft-shadows in order to create a great looking enviorment. Also, a lot of particle-effects and normal-mapping shaders sum up the look of the virtual-world.

Sounds and Music
Of course we also have sound-fx and different music. The user has also the ability to insert his own mp3-files.

More Information
Bounci Madness is a freeware game.
You can download the whole game (90 MB) for free. Just click on the link below and choose a Download Mirror:
http://tsgames.de/index.php?item=122
(German Web Page)

Also, you can watch the current game-server list on this web-page.

May I will show a trailer next time.

Comments & Critics are welcome =)

Regards
TSGames
16 Comments
Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: TSG_Torsten] #255502
03/10/09 21:52
03/10/09 21:52
O
ortucis Offline
ortucis  Offline
O

Quake 3 with balls?

Sounds fun, definitely looks good.

EDIT: Considering you will be seeing rooftops most of the time, it could use a bit high res texture there.

Just curious, are you using nVidia plugin for normal maps?

Last edited by ortucis; 03/10/09 21:55.
Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: ortucis] #255559
03/11/09 10:02
03/11/09 10:02
Switzerland
Hitsch Offline
Hitsch  Offline

Switzerland
I like the idea of a multiplayer game with something as simple as balls.

I just played it for a few minutes and the grapics looks good and runs smoothly. But it wasn't playable because it laged very much, I would just fall down all the time. (ping was at 62ms)

On the graphics side you could add some effect like hdr or glow/reflection on the balls and the environment. Just so that somebody with a good system can adjust the visuals a bit...

Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: Hitsch] #255561
03/11/09 10:54
03/11/09 10:54
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

take me down to the paradise c...
Wow! Great game! Especially the particles! smile

Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: Cowabanga] #255566
03/11/09 11:09
03/11/09 11:09
Texas
not_me Offline
User
not_me  Offline
User

Texas
good stuff! i cant wait to see where you take this.

-Initiate Games
-Level designer

http://www.sckratchmagazine.com
Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: not_me] #255577
03/11/09 11:53
03/11/09 11:53
Berlin, Germany
S
SchokoKeks Offline
User
SchokoKeks  Offline
User
S

Berlin, Germany
lots of fun! just love the music wink
I know how hard it is to programm multiplayer. could you maybe smooth the movement a bit more? it looks very jerky. maybe a better dplay_entrate? or some kind of software-interpolation?

in bombing-run, the bots are quite good, otherwise they suck :P anyway, i can imagine that bots are really hard to code!
you should announce a daily play-time where one can hope to meet someone else on the server.

Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: SchokoKeks] #255608
03/11/09 14:42
03/11/09 14:42
İstanbul, Turkey
Quad Offline
Senior Expert
Quad  Offline
Senior Expert

İstanbul, Turkey
altough it's a great game(i played the old version too wink ). it's NEARLY unplayeble with 80-90ms ping. I dont know if you added anything new to traffic but old version was played better with that ping as i remember. I cant blame you, just maybe you can optimize it better.It's like i am going back and forth in the time, cant be sure where really i am.

in games like CSS with 80 ms ping, you dont feel any lag,and game is smooth.(in fact upto 120ms is fine in Source engine games.)

Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: ortucis] #255649
03/11/09 18:06
03/11/09 18:06
TSG_Torsten Offline OP

User
TSG_Torsten  Offline OP

User

Originally Posted By: ortucis
Just curious, are you using nVidia plugin for normal maps?

Well, no. I don't use the Nvidia-Plugin therefore, I use a shader which was programmed by some community-members.
Quote:
I know how hard it is to programm multiplayer. could you maybe smooth the movement a bit more? it looks very jerky. maybe a better dplay_entrate? or some kind of software-interpolation?

I already have implemented an own interpolation-alogrithm. You can set the prediction of it in the Options (Slider on page "Allgemeines").
unfortunately I can't prevent more lagging, because the physic-objects must be calculated on the server. By the way, I don't use dplay_entrate, I manually send the object-information, normally 20 times a second, which should be enough wink

Thanks at all others for the nice Comments and Critics so far.
The most problem a lot of you already addressed is the slow or "lagging" connection over the internet.
First of all, this problem is not only dependance of the ping you currently have. I personally use a 0,3 MBit/s bandwith for playing (DSL 300) and can play with a ping about 100ms without any lags.
Also important is the packet loss your connection currently have. By the way, you can look at these values in Bounci Madness by open the Client Console (F1) and enter "Debug" to show the debug panel (it also shows you the current bandwith the game is using).
This values are also depend on your internet-provider and the provider the server-hoster has, and also the global location (the server which you're joining in the server-list is located in Germany)

I wonder if some of you already have tested to host a server and join your own internet-server (by clicking on it in the serverlist, port 2302 must be opened!).

I also noticed that GS (I don't know why) is lagging very heavily in the first 10-30 seconds. After this couple of time, the game runs a lot more smoothly.
May you also get such experience?!

Regards
TSGames

Last edited by TSG_Torsten; 03/11/09 18:12.
Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: TSG_Torsten] #255656
03/11/09 18:47
03/11/09 18:47
mk_1 Offline

Expert
mk_1  Offline

Expert

Joined my own server but it's still lagging a lot.
Funny game though

Follow me on twitter
Re: Bounci Madness 2 (Online-MP) [Re: mk_1] #255738
03/12/09 10:11
03/12/09 10:11
Austria
Dark_samurai Offline
Serious User
Dark_samurai  Offline
Serious User

Austria
It's lagging for me too!

Sooner or later you will have to change the network system. Write your own or use some of the finished network systems for gamestudio (like my ANet plugin).

Grafic has improved a lot smile

Good work!

ANet - A stable and secure network plugin with multi-zone, unlimited players, voip, server-list features,... (for A7/A8)!
get free version
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  jcl, Realspawn, Spirit 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de