Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,397 guests, and 7 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
porducing a screensaver #262303
04/23/09 03:04
04/23/09 03:04
N
ngisiger Offline OP
ngisiger  Offline OP
N

Hello!

I have this nice level that I would like to make into a screensaver for my computer.

I built the level (called screensaver.wed) and published it by checking both the exe and wrs boxes. That game me a folder containing the following three files: screensaver.exe, acknex.dll, screensaver.wrs and palette.

Then, following the instructions of the manual, I changed the name of the .exe file to screensaver.scr. Then I copied the three files in the C:\Windows directory.

When I right click on my desktop, and look up the list of available screensavers, I do not see my files there and I can't select my level as screensaver. crazy

Also, when I double click on screensaver.scr, I get an error message saying that it's missing a .dll file. shocked

I tried looking in the forum but could not find more info on that subject than what is in the manual (which is not helping me enough).

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong, or if there is a tutorial I could look up.

Many thanks! smile

Regards,
Thomas

PS: I have A7.7 Pro on win XP

Re: porducing a screensaver [Re: ngisiger] #262327
04/23/09 06:16
04/23/09 06:16
take me down to the paradise c...
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

Quote:
When I right click on my desktop, and look up the list of available screensavers, I do not see my files there and I can't select my level as screensaver.

You need to install the screensaver by Right-Cick and click "Install".

Quote:
Also, when I double click on screensaver.scr, I get an error message saying that it's missing a .dll file.

What's the name of the DLL?

Re: porducing a screensaver [Re: Cowabanga] #262622
04/24/09 23:04
04/24/09 23:04
N
ngisiger Offline OP
ngisiger  Offline OP
N

Hi Cowabanga, smile

Many thanks for looking into this.

Quote:
What's the name of the DLL?

The message I get after putting copies of screensaver.scr, screensaver.wrs and acknex.dll in C:/Windows, and double clicking on screensaver.scr is (roughly):

Visual C++ Runtime Library
R6034
Attempt to load ATL80.dll incorrectly.

If I click on OK, I get it 3 or 4 times, but then the level launches.

Quote:
You need to install the screensaver by Right-Cick and click "Install".

There, I don't follow you at all. How can I install a gamestudio published level? I tried right-clicking on the files screensaver.scr, screensaver.wrs and acknex.dll but I don't get an install tag. All I get when compiling the level is the 3 files I mentioned above.

Are you saying that we have to compile or publish levels differently if we want to make them into regular Windows screensavers?

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Thomas

Re: porducing a screensaver [Re: ngisiger] #262639
04/25/09 04:40
04/25/09 04:40
Cowabanga Offline
Expert
Cowabanga  Offline
Expert

Hey Thomas,

Yeah, this is the Unicode ATL Module for Windows, and it's really important.
However, you can download it here: http://ifile.it/ek0fxto
And put it in "System32" folder.

For installing, hmmmmm... Try Axialis Professional Screen Saver Producer to make an installation package.

Re: porducing a screensaver [Re: Cowabanga] #262719
04/25/09 13:00
04/25/09 13:00
N
ngisiger Offline OP
ngisiger  Offline OP
N

Hi Cowabanga, smile

Thanks, I will download the dll and see if it helps.

Quote:
For installing, hmmmmm... Try Axialis Professional Screen Saver Producer to make an installation package.

Hmmm, I guess the next question is the following. I know how to program a 3DGS level that behaves like a screensaver (i.e. the user would launch it manually like a game but it would stop by itself if somebody moved the mouse or striked a key afterwards).

What I would like to do instead is let windows call the level, like a regular screensaver, whenever the computer is idle. From the manual, I thought this was simple: compile a level, rename it .scr and put it in the windows folder.

I am starting to think that I (silly me!) jumped to the wrong conclusion. Have you, or anyone you know, ever made a real windows screensaver with a 3DGS level? I mean, with or without the assistance of commercial packages like the one you mentioned ...

Because, if that task indeed requires programming dlls and to buy other softwares, I think it might be a good thing to suggest to Conitec (i.e. a screensaver template) as a way to enhance their product.

Thanks again. smile
Thomas

Re: porducing a screensaver [Re: ngisiger] #262776
04/25/09 20:49
04/25/09 20:49
Southern Oceans
KiwiBoy Offline
KiwiBoy  Offline

Southern Oceans
HI, yes, I recall someone did make screensavers here but that was a few years ago.

Use the 'manual' Luke, the manual is your friend. 'Self reminder' smile

My WebPage

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de