Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, Akow, 1 invisible), 1,417 guests, and 12 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
merge animation from different maya files into one mdl file? #262324
04/23/09 06:00
04/23/09 06:00
G
Goodberry Offline OP
Goodberry  Offline OP
G

Hi all,

I have several animations on the same character in different Maya files. Is there a way to use all animations on the same character in the game?

I'm using vertex animation, so the Export and Import animation functions in MED don't help.

One way I can think of is to copy all the animations into one big Maya file and then export that. But that seems like a pretty clunky way of doing it.

Is there any other way to address the problem?

Thanks!

Re: merge animation from different maya files into one mdl file? [Re: Goodberry] #262607
04/24/09 21:20
04/24/09 21:20
G
Goodberry Offline OP
Goodberry  Offline OP
G

no one? Really?!?

Re: merge animation from different maya files into one mdl file? [Re: Goodberry] #262701
04/25/09 09:29
04/25/09 09:29
Lithuania, Vilnius
Jaxas Offline
Jaxas  Offline

Lithuania, Vilnius
you can only blend bone animation i think..or you can morph models to get needed animation, but then it can looks realy weird and stupid laugh

Last edited by Jaxas; 04/25/09 09:31.

The smaller the bug, the harder it is to kill.
Re: merge animation from different maya files into one mdl file? [Re: Jaxas] #262777
04/25/09 20:50
04/25/09 20:50
Southern Oceans
KiwiBoy Offline
KiwiBoy  Offline

Southern Oceans
Maybe export anims from each segment you want then re-import them into one file?

Use the 'manual' Luke, the manual is your friend. 'Self reminder' smile

My WebPage
Re: merge animation from different maya files into one mdl file? [Re: Goodberry] #268963
06/01/09 03:26
06/01/09 03:26
G
Goodberry Offline OP
Goodberry  Offline OP
G

ok, maybe I'm not making myself clear. I'll try again.

My character has several different things it can do, like run, walk, fall down, die, jump, etc.

I am using vertex animation, NOT bones. Comments about bones will not help me, don't waste your time smile

1. Do I have to export all of these animations from the same Maya file? (Master.ma contains the run, walk, jump, fallDown, and die animations.)

2. or can I have several Maya files, like this: run.ma, walk.ma, jump.ma, etc

3. If I can have several maya files, how do I go about playing the animations on the same character?

I know that I can export the animations from Maya and reimport them into Maya to create a master file, but that is a REALLY horrible solution in terms of workflow.

... Forgive my insistence, but I've worked in the game industry for eight years now, and I've never encountered a system where all of the animations for a character have to be in one file. If this is a requirement for gamestudio and there is no workaround it is a serious limitation that needs to be addressed.

Re: merge animation from different maya files into one mdl file? [Re: Goodberry] #268975
06/01/09 06:33
06/01/09 06:33
Hamburg, Germany
slacer Offline
Expert
slacer  Offline
Expert

Hamburg, Germany
Why do you think this is a limitation?
If your character is in the middle of a running animation when it hits a wall, you want to show a different animation like stand/idle whithout a hard switch from one animation to the next animation.

You can blend the vertex animations from your current animations frame to the target animation to let it look like a smooth transition.

With ent_morph you can change the run.mdl to die.mdl if you want, but this would create a hard break in your animation.
I would only go this way if I have already a lot of assets created as separate animated models. Otherwise I would advise that your artist should change his workflow to create the best fitting export files for the selected game engine.
If he does not change his workflow, the developer has to create the functions to make the animations smooth.

If you work against the engines techniques, you create additional work for your developers.

[hint]
The second model should be preloaded in order to prevent harddisk access during your animation change.

You can use ent_morph to replace a green tree with a burned tree if you use some big explosions and fire.

I hope it helps a bit

-- slacer

Re: merge animation from different maya files into one mdl file? [Re: slacer] #269117
06/01/09 21:10
06/01/09 21:10
G
Goodberry Offline OP
Goodberry  Offline OP
G

Uh, you're right, exporting everything as different MDL files and morphing the models to play different animations is definitely not the way to go smile

But I think you misunderstand what I'm asking for. I'm looking for a way to keep my animations separate in Maya, but merge them into one MDL file after exporting.

> Why do you think this is a limitation?

Where do I start? smile

The pipelines I'm used to working with treat animations and models as independent. I.e. you can export animations one by one and in the engine you decide which model you want to play them on.

This is pretty convenient since the animators can work independently from each other and export at different times. You can test and troubleshoot animations separately from each other and you don't run the risk of introducing bugs in one animation when you're fixing a different one.

Maya files with a lot of animations in them are unwieldy and hard to edit, especially if you want to change timing (if you lengthen or shorten an animation)

Also if you make a change to just one animation, you have to redo all of the markup work for all animations in MED again. And again. And again. It gets old pretty fast, and it's error prone.

If you are working with a team of animators you have to come up with a procedure to merge all of their work into one master Maya file. These kinds of things are usually tricky and error-ridden, and IMHO this is an unnecessary source of aggravation.

I could go on, but I hope I've made my point. It's just not a very good pipeline, especially if you have a lot of animations and several animators working on a project.

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de