Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Akow, TipmyPip, tomaslolo), 788 guests, and 11 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Atlas Mapping #306136
01/19/10 23:56
01/19/10 23:56
Arkansas, USA
W
willjones Offline OP
willjones  Offline OP
W

Arkansas, USA
I'm interested in learning how to take advantage of the Atlas skin mapping feature in MED. The online manual says Atlas Mapping is the easiest way to texture map your models if you have the Commercial version which I do. So, I tried to play around with it. It was neat that it quickly broke the model into various charted areas that could be painted, but the organization seemed random and difficult to understand what pieces went where. Do you have any recommendations on the best process to create and skin models? The Gamestudio tutorial on MED was interesting, but it didn't say anything about Atlas mapping that I could find. The manual said only a little bit. Is there a tutorial about using this feature of MED somewhere?

Also, I came across this tutorial online, but it isn't for GameStudio. It mentions using a morph target instead of atlas mapping and separating pieces into sections. tutorial Is this a feasible approach to use with 3DGameStudio or no? (If so how might a make a morph target?)

Thanks for any advice/direction on this...

[A7 Commercial]
Re: Atlas Mapping [Re: willjones] #306149
01/20/10 04:31
01/20/10 04:31
Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Paul_L_Ming Offline
User
Paul_L_Ming  Offline
User

Whitehorse, Yukon, Canada
Hiya.

Atlas mapping is indeed quick. It is also very "messy". I'm not entirely sure how it determines where the model gets broken up, so I can't help you there.

My advice: use atlas mapping for non-character and relatively simplistic models that won't be too closely scrutinized. Such as trees, rocks, piles of leaves/dirt, and other 'eyecandy' type things. For characters or items that are going to get a good looking at, you're better off UV mapping them yourself with another program. Personally, I use UltimateUnwrap3D. It also has the added bonus of being a rather robust model converter, as it supports just about every format under the sun. ( http://www.unwrap3d.com/u3d/index.aspx ).

^_^

"We've got a blind date with destiny...and it looks like she's ordered the lobster."

-- The Shoveler

A7 Commercial (on Windows 7, 64-bit)
Re: Atlas Mapping [Re: Paul_L_Ming] #306169
01/20/10 10:21
01/20/10 10:21
Bielefeld, Germany
Pappenheimer Offline
Senior Expert
Pappenheimer  Offline
Senior Expert

Bielefeld, Germany
You can select certain parts to uv-map them in a separate skin, with Gutter Width and Maximum Stretch both at its maximum you can be quite sure to get that part layout in one piece. For instance the face including the front part of the ears, and in another step the back of the head, or an arm without hands (to assure that it is 'open' at each end)...
After that you can adjust the placing in the Skin Editor, fill the triangles with different colors paint a bit, and export the painted skin to work on it in Gimp or so, and import the finished skin later, again.
This is a fast approach, and sufficient, if you want fast prototyping and a cartoon style.
But, if you want to get good in modeling and skinning etc. you should learn a more sophisticated program like blender.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de