Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Respect History setting for Z systems
by AndrewAMD. 10/02/26 15:43
Purchase A8 full licence version
by ukgamer. 10/02/26 01:31
A3 projects
by Yopachi. 09/28/26 17:04
Parent/child object
by rayp. 09/27/26 14:43
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
Dorifto samurai
Shadow 2
Rocker`s Revenge
Stug 3 Stormartillery
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (VHX, Ayumi, KRT), 8,470 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
julienp, julienper, KelleyAbbey, Yopachi, Knull
19245 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
definition of a shader #26523
04/21/04 06:12
04/21/04 06:12
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,174
Israel, Haifa
ROMAC Offline OP
Expert
ROMAC  Offline OP
Expert

Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 2,174
Israel, Haifa
Hi,

This may sound as a dumb question, but could someone please explain to me fully what a shader is? How it is made (not the coding), and what's it's purpose.
Please note, I already understand it can do those really cool effects, but I have no idea, how it works.
I need a detailed definition for a shader if anyone can provide me with one.

Best Regards,
Guy.

Re: definition of a shader [Re: ROMAC] #26524
04/21/04 07:46
04/21/04 07:46
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,097
Maryland, USA
Steempipe Offline
Serious User
Steempipe  Offline
Serious User

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,097
Maryland, USA
When I was looking into what "shader" actually was defined as.. I kept running into basically this:

A procedure that tells the renderer the color(shading) and lighting of a surface. The term is from Pixar Renderman and I believe it is essentially Rendermans "word" for <Material>.

Re: definition of a shader [Re: Steempipe] #26525
04/21/04 10:46
04/21/04 10:46
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 88
Ultra Offline
Junior Member
Ultra  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 88

Re: definition of a shader [Re: Ultra] #26526
04/21/04 10:50
04/21/04 10:50
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 88
Ultra Offline
Junior Member
Ultra  Offline
Junior Member

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 88
actually the shader isnt really the material.. it "defines" how the material reacts/interacts with the surrounding environment (reflections, emmisives, color shadows... etc)

I'm not sure how accurate MY definition is. but i BELIEVE that is what defines a shader


Moderated by  Blink, Hummel, Superku 

Gamestudio download | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de

Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1