Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (AndrewAMD), 1,454 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
abstract physics shooter #326787
06/02/10 20:34
06/02/10 20:34
Pittsburgh
The_Clyde Offline OP
The_Clyde  Offline OP

Pittsburgh
I sat down at my computer the other day to try and make a simple FPS- just to crank something out and get out of my recent unproductive slump, and ended up making a sort of physics-based game...

I started by giving the player acceleration and momentum instead of constant walking velocity, then thought it would be a good idea to make different floor textures provide different levels of friction, then things started getting carried away after generalizing the code so other objects could also follow the same physics rules

one interesting and unexpected result was that sleds/skateboards just magically work- without me ever having to have explicitly code with those in mind!

Currently I've implemented the following:
-Objects have velocity which builds up instead of having constant speeds applied
-Ground contact causes objects to slow down and eventually stop, depending on the floor's friction constant
-Objects on ramps or hills will tend to accelerate downhill depending on how slippery the floor is
-Objects colliding with walls will bounce with their speeds reduced, depending on the collision angle
-Objects colliding with other objects will transfer velocity to each other (inelastic collisions)

Features applying only to the player:
-The player has a gun which currently applies impulses to objects
-The player will 'die' and be sent back to a checkpoint if they hit the ground at too great a velocity

Current build
http://ifile.it/z49v2qg/FirstPersonPhysics.zip

Controls are in conventional FPS style: WASD keys to move, mouse to look around, left click to 'shoot' impulses
also if you want to reset the level press '1' and '0' at the same time

I'm still figuring out where I'm going with this though, because so far I've pretty much been 'winging it'! laugh

Last edited by The_Clyde; 06/02/10 21:46.
Re: abstract physics shooter [Re: The_Clyde] #326789
06/02/10 20:59
06/02/10 20:59
Berlin, Germany
L
Liamissimo Offline
Serious User
Liamissimo  Offline
Serious User
L

Berlin, Germany
Hey,

it is a nice idea but for me, it isnt fun playing. I have a VERY small window and every time i move my mouse it is going outisde the window so when I shott the window become inactive => Keep the cursor in the window

The Leveldesign isn't really an eye candy, but okay, if it is your first project it really is okay. The physic is very strange, I shoot at a ball and it doesn't roll, it just glides over the surface? I thought it is a real impulse coming out, but just like a gun?

an the thing with the moving: sometimes I move, sometimes I dont move and sometimes I dont know what i am doing, just slipping from one wall to an other, dieing, trying to shoot, cursor out the window.... annoying^^

but if you manage those things it maybe become a nice indie flower^^

"Ich weiss nicht genau, was Sie vorhaben, aber Sie können keine Triggerzonen durch Ihr Level kullern lassen."
-JCL, 2011
Re: abstract physics shooter [Re: Liamissimo] #326794
06/02/10 21:44
06/02/10 21:44
Pittsburgh
The_Clyde Offline OP
The_Clyde  Offline OP

Pittsburgh
Eh, I had just started this like the other day and the level is mostly just a test room right now- to test and showcase each of the physics features implemented so far...

Rolling is not implemented yet, later after a nice nap I'll be able to go derive the necessary formulas on me trusty whiteboard laugh

Also the different floor surfaces have different amounts of friction so on some you'll be moving comfortably and some you'll be slipping around.

As for the window size, I had posted this while at work and forgot to add a certain line I usually put into code to make it adapt to the user's screen size.
The link on the original post has been changed to a fixed version...

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de