Zorro Links
Newest Posts
Zorro Beta 2.61: PyTorch
by jcl. 06/10/24 14:42
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (AndrewAMD, bigsmack, monarch), 1,240 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
A number of questions (different 'level') #348199
11/23/10 20:52
11/23/10 20:52
YellowAfterlife Offline OP
YellowAfterlife  Offline OP

Hello there.
I have downloaded 3d GameStudio A8 (free edition) recently (yeasterday), and have encountered a couple of problems & questions:

1. Why specifying negative texture scaling in texture settings is not possible anymore? It made it much easier to make the texture tile seamlessly at corners and edges.

2. Is it possible use NOFILTER for map entities (wmb) or level itself? This flag seems to work perfectly fine with models but map entities

3. How to achieve 'beam' rotation for a entity? That is, change .roll while keeping the old .pan & .tilt so the entity is facing the camera. A perfect example of the effect that I am searching for, is railgun projectiles in Quake 3. (basically, expecting answer in either math or code)

4. A bunch of issues, which happen with default build settings.
Turbulence textures do not work. They just do not move. For example, standard.wad/*waterblue is 'swirling' in texture panel, but acts like a normal texture both in-game and when using walk-thru in editor. I remember having a similar problem when using A7, but cannot remember what I steps I took to solve it.
Additionally, passable blocks do not seem to be passable (or are not detected as ones with c_trace\c_move) after building map. This does not apply to entities for some reason.
Disabling build flag 'Create Meshes' solves two above problems, but allows player walking through walls (c_move).
So, basically, this question is about the following: can someone provide a screenshot of 'right' build settings?

5. (perhaps wrong forum for this question...) I am getting a strange feeling the WED config is getting saved in a wrong way. When running WED, normally I shift Back & Side views a bit to left, and place Object Properties window in the bottom-right corner of te screen. After closing & opening WED, view positions get screwed up. Either 3d view takes 3/4 of screen while everything else is down-scaled, or Back & Side views are set to their original position while their height is increased (so I dont see bottom side of view window, unless I move one up, and make it smaller). Why does it happen, and is it possible to make WED to *not* resave configuration?

Well, that's all. Thanks in advance.

Unfortunately, I've not worked with 3dGS for a while now, but it was fun
Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: YellowAfterlife] #348213
11/24/10 00:43
11/24/10 00:43
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Quote:
1. Why specifying negative texture scaling in texture settings is not possible anymore? It made it much easier to make the texture tile seamlessly at corners and edges.

Negative scaling is for reversing the texture (displaying it in the opposite direction). So a scale of 1.0 would display the texture at the created pixel size in the direction it was created. -1.0 would display the texture mirrored at the same pixel size the image was created.

Quote:
5. (perhaps wrong forum for this question...) I am getting a strange feeling the WED config is getting saved in a wrong way. When running WED, normally I shift Back & Side views a bit to left, and place Object Properties window in the bottom-right corner of te screen. After closing & opening WED, view positions get screwed up. Either 3d view takes 3/4 of screen while everything else is down-scaled, or Back & Side views are set to their original position while their height is increased (so I dont see bottom side of view window, unless I move one up, and make it smaller). Why does it happen, and is it possible to make WED to *not* resave configuration?

Go to Preferences (File>Preferences) and expand the Common Options bar under the Options tab. Make sure the Save Win Positions is NOT checked.

EDIT: Just saw this too:

On the same tab (Options under Preferences) there is a bar at the end called Layout Options. You could try unchecking Auto Default Layout to see if that helps.

I'll leave the other questions to others on the forum who are better able to answer them.

Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: YellowAfterlife] #348215
11/24/10 03:06
11/24/10 03:06
Alberta, Canada
Dveyee Offline
Dveyee  Offline

Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: YellowAfterlife
4. A bunch of issues, which happen with default build settings.
Turbulence textures do not work. They just do not move. For example, standard.wad/*waterblue is 'swirling' in texture panel, but acts like a normal texture both in-game and when using walk-thru in editor. I remember having a similar problem when using A7, but cannot remember what I steps I took to solve it.
Additionally, passable blocks do not seem to be passable (or are not detected as ones with c_trace\c_move) after building map. This does not apply to entities for some reason.
Disabling build flag 'Create Meshes' solves two above problems, but allows player walking through walls (c_move).
So, basically, this question is about the following: can someone provide a screenshot of 'right' build settings?

Hi YellowAfterlife, the turbulence flag on the animated textures no longer have any effect when levels are compiled in A7/A8 with Meshes, as you have already noticed. You need to assign the material "mtl_turbulence" to use the turbulence animation.

1. What you first need to do, is include the "mtlFX.c" shader library in your main script:
Code:
#include <mtlFX.c>

2. Reload or reopen the level to refresh the scripts if you left WED open while editing the main script. Then open the Properties panel of the blocks you wish to apply the turbulence animation to from the right click menu.

3. Under the Properties tab, choose the "mtl_turbulence" material. See the below image for reference:

4. Rebuild the level and make sure that the "Create Meshes" flag is enabled.

If you need any more help, just let me know.

Thanks,
Dveyee

Accelerated Game Creation Tutorial - Learn how to use 3D Gamestudio's WED with these exciting video tutorials!

Visit our website at http://www.accgames.com.
Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: Dveyee] #348217
11/24/10 06:43
11/24/10 06:43
B
bart_the_13th Offline
bart_the_13th  Offline
B

That gives me another question:
The turbulence texture now is handled by HLSL shader instead of 'hardwired' to the engine, will it work in FREE version?

Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: bart_the_13th] #348231
11/24/10 10:53
11/24/10 10:53

To: Dveyee
http://solidfiles.com/d/742ab/
- that's the compiled version of project, with sources of everything included. (~3mb)
As bart_the_13th have stated, commercial edition seems to be required to use turbulence (this is not less than strange).

_passable problem still remains. As I have noticed, in_passable is always zero, even while going through the passable entities (blocks). In addition, invisible blocks seem to be either threated as passable, or are simply not included into level.

In the level there are 4 'pools' with water, 3 of which are passable and have different material, and 4th is passable & invisible. When testing, all but invisible one are solid.

Since, as I understood, that chances to use turbulence in free edition are rather low, I've tried using animated texture. And, guess what, it didnt work neither.

In the demo you may see 4 blocks with 10-frame animated texture assigned:

From left to right: blank material, mtl_uvspeed, mtl_default (interesting effect, huh?), and mtl_wireframe. Unfortunately, texture is not animated on any of them.
If this will somehow work, I am interested if its possible to assign texture animation that is longer than 10 frames.

Other things included in level are:
- 3 water pillars, passable, passable+invisible, invisible. Unlike expected, only invisible pillars are passable
- Attempt to shift u,v on map entity. Manual did not state what will happen if you do this, so I tried. This same entity has NOFILTER set (as I have stated, this does not work).
- 'infinite corridor', the only thing that works as expected so far, and one that this project was going to be based on.

To: RealSerious3D
To question 1, I meant this:

To question 5, thanks, that works perfectly.

Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: YellowAfterlife] #348240
11/24/10 12:08
11/24/10 12:08
B
bart_the_13th Offline
bart_the_13th  Offline
B

Shifting UV mean you have to increase / decrease the u or v or both of them.
It should work with all version off 3DGS but wont work on blocks I guess, only on models and compiled wmb(is that what it's called, the pre-compiled map?, sorry I forgot LoL)

I'm not suggesting you to change the texture setting, if you do, and save, then reload, you will notice that it will affect all the texture of the same type in the level,err.. is it?

About the undetected passable block, ty to compile the map with "Create mesh" unchecked.

Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: bart_the_13th] #348253
11/24/10 14:33
11/24/10 14:33

Using u\v with wmb has strange results (it appears to cycle shadowmap, or something of this kind)

'Global' texture settings apply to all textures that you assign by double-clicking texture thumbail in list.

With 'Create Meshes' unchecked, there are no collisions - player walks through both solid and unsolid blocks, colliding only with entities. Building level collision shapes with wmb's does not sound like a good idea to me.
Here are build settings that I am using atm:

Here's main player code loop (maybe I did something wrong here?)
Code:
//definitions:
#define player_move IGNORE_PASSABLE|GLIDE
#define player_trace IGNORE_PASSABLE|IGNORE_ME|USE_BOX|IGNORE_FLAG2
//Flag2 is used to allow player to collide with specific entities by walking over them.
//loop:
while (!dead)
    {
        // pan.x:
        rsp.x -= key_force.x * aa;
        rsp.x = sign(rsp.x) * maxv(0,minv(am,abs(rsp.x)) - (key_force.x == 0) * af);
        rot.x = ang(rot.x + rsp.x);
        // pan.y:
        rsp.y += key_force.y * aa;
        rsp.y = sign(rsp.y) * maxv(0,minv(am,abs(rsp.y)) - (key_force.y == 0) * af);
        rot.y = clamp(rot.y + rsp.y, -90, 90);
        // zspeed:
        vec_set(mtv.x,my.x); mtv.z -= 4096;
        dst = c_trace(my.x,mtv.x,player_trace);
        if (dst > 16)
        {
            vv = maxv(vv-vg,-16);
        }
        else
        {
            vv = maxv(0,vv);
        }
        if (dst != 0)
        {
            if (dst < 50) if (key_space) vv = vj;
            //c_move(me,nullvector,vector(0,0,vv),IGNORE_PASSABLE|GLIDE);
        }
        // debug:
        //str_for_num((deb_txt.pstring)[0],dst);
        // xyspeed:
        vec_set(mtv.x,vector(va * (key_w - key_s), va * (key_a - key_d),0));
        vec_rotate(mtv.x,vector(rot.x,0,0));
        vec_add(vel.x,mtv.x);
        vec_normalize(vel.x,maxv(0,minv(vec_length(vel),vm)-vf) );
        // move:
        c_move(me,nullvector,vector(vel.x,vel.y,vv),player_move);
        // camera:
        vec_set(camera.x,vector(my.x,my.y,my.z+48));
        vec_set(camera.pan,rot.x);
        wait(1);    
    }

Last edited by YellowAfterlife; 11/24/10 14:33.

Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: YellowAfterlife] #348257
11/24/10 15:05
11/24/10 15:05
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Quote:
To: RealSerious3D
To question 1, I meant this:

The answer is still the same. A negative texture scale flips the image along the X or Y axis. The panel on the left of the above image is the GLOBAL setting for the selected texture (in this case, t26lava0). By setting its X scale to 0.01 then when it is applied to any object or surface, it is scaled to 0.01 by default. Changing this number does not affect any already applied textures, only ones applied from then on.

The panel to the right gives the same options and a few additional ones as well. If you notice, the ALL box is not checked. This means that the numbers you enter here are affecting only ONE surface and not ALL surfaces of a selected object. In the case of the image above, it would be surface #3. The panel is telling you that the texture applied to surface #3 is scaled -1.00 along its X axis, and 1.00 along its Y.

Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: RealSerious3D] #348259
11/24/10 15:17
11/24/10 15:17

Originally Posted By: RealSerious3D

The answer is still the same. A negative texture scale flips the image along the X or Y axis. The panel on the left of the above image is the GLOBAL setting for the selected texture (in this case, t26lava0). By setting its X scale to 0.01 then when it is applied to any object or surface, it is scaled to 0.01 by default. Changing this number does not affect any already applied textures, only ones applied from then on.

The panel to the right gives the same options and a few additional ones as well. If you notice, the ALL box is not checked. This means that the numbers you enter here are affecting only ONE surface and not ALL surfaces of a selected object. In the case of the image above, it would be surface #3. The panel is telling you that the texture applied to surface #3 is scaled -1.00 along its X axis, and 1.00 along its Y.
Well, thanks for providing additional usefull information. My question actually was, if it is possible to set GLOBAL texture scale below zero. Since, as image demonstrates, it is possible to set LOCAL texture scale to anything from -10000 to 10000 while GLOBAL texture scale gets capped into 0.01 .. 100 range.

Re: A number of questions (different 'level') [Re: YellowAfterlife] #348265
11/24/10 16:29
11/24/10 16:29
USA
RealSerious3D Offline
RealSerious3D  Offline

USA
Quote:
Well, thanks for providing additional usefull information. My question actually was, if it is possible to set GLOBAL texture scale below zero. Since, as image demonstrates, it is possible to set LOCAL texture scale to anything from -10000 to 10000 while GLOBAL texture scale gets capped into 0.01 .. 100 range.

You're right. I misunderstood you. Sorry about that.

You are correct, you cannot set negative values in the first panel and I think you should be able to. I would bug it and let Conitec know about it.

Sorry for any confusion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de