Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
Data from CSV not parsed correctly
by dr_panther. 05/06/24 18:50
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 984 guests, and 5 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv, wandaluciaia
19053 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Feature question - importing price-based bars for backtesting #481600
10/05/20 14:27
10/05/20 14:27
DEVON
S
scotpip Offline OP
scotpip  Offline OP
S

DEVON
Hi

Before I invest the time in learning Zorro, I'd appreciate knowing if it can handle one of my key requirements.

I'd want to import price-based bars (renko and range) from CSV files. These can be in any format convenient to Zorro.

Can this be done at all - ideally in the free version but otherwise in the sponsored version?

In the free version, what would happen if there was more than one bar per minute on occasion, for example in a newsy market?

If I understand right, I could definitely do this in the sponsored version with the user-defined bars feature using tick data. I would do this for live trading but this would be very slow for backtesting, especially for optimisation runs. So importing ready-formed bars would be a much better solution.

Also, can this type of bar (imported and/or user-defined) access the full feature range in Zorro, or are there any practical restrictions?

Thanks folks!

Last edited by scotpip; 10/05/20 14:28.
Re: Feature question - importing price-based bars for backtesting [Re: scotpip] #481602
10/05/20 18:06
10/05/20 18:06
D
danatrader Offline
danatrader  Offline
D

Well you can use your own history data.
For free version the bars need to be in t6 format I think.
So a bar needs to be longer than 1 min.

Full version allows you to import tick data.

So you could already manipulate your open high low close to resemble the bars you need (for backtesting).

Re: Feature question - importing price-based bars for backtesting [Re: scotpip] #481604
10/06/20 08:46
10/06/20 08:46
Frankfurt
jcl Offline

Chief Engineer
jcl  Offline

Chief Engineer

Frankfurt
Zorro won't care if imported bars are time based, price based, or magic based. But you should then also have an additional minute or tick based price history for a realistic backtes. Brokers won't fill your trades at Renko boundaries.

Re: Feature question - importing price-based bars for backtesting [Re: jcl] #481609
10/06/20 15:23
10/06/20 15:23
DEVON
S
scotpip Offline OP
scotpip  Offline OP
S

DEVON
Originally Posted by jcl
You should then also have an additional minute or tick based price history for a realistic backtest. Brokers won't fill your trades at Renko boundaries.

Thanks for the response, but I'm confused by your suggestion that brokers won't fill a trade at a Renko boundary. Provided there is volume in the bar, how is it any different from the boundary of a minute bar?

Both are abstract buckets for a stream of ticks. I can't see how an arbitrary time boundary is any different from an arbitrary price boundary in terms of getting filled.

Obviously if the Renko bar is in the middle of a gap and has no volume, you'll see slippage. But that is trivial to allow for - you simply skip the bar and don't run your exit rules against it. A time-based bar could also close in the middle of a gap, though admittedly this is less likely.

In the end, it's obviously a good idea to do a final check at tick resolution, but that is slow, even in Zorro. For fast iteration of ideas we have found Renko bars as reliable as anything else on our previous platform.

If a strategy is so marginal that small inaccuracies in slippage are critical, it's probably not tradeable anyway. You could say that of any bar type, given that we can't rely on 100% data quality.

Last edited by scotpip; 10/07/20 12:16.

Moderated by  Petra