by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, Lapsa), 1,268 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mino, squik, AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan
19061 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Where to add menu , save ,load files #75764
05/28/06 09:29
05/28/06 09:29
Norway
Fiskekona Offline OP
Fiskekona  Offline OP

Norway
I have 7 levles in my game.
Where do I add the menu and save and load.

Do I add it to each level or is it enough to have it in the first level?

Programmer in training... Own GameStudio Commerical 6.50
Re: Where to add menu , save ,load files [Re: Fiskekona] #75765
05/28/06 09:37
05/28/06 09:37
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
For a menu, you can bring one up at any time. In my 2D game, of which probably has the most expansive menu system ever made in Gamestudio, the menu is called from pressing the M key. I then just make use of variables and if statements to control how the menus run and work. I just got done fixing a bug related to the menus. Yep, even my 2D game has a save/load system, but with tons of save options where you can almost pick and choose what you want to save, even abstract things. To use it, all you need to do is use the up and down arrow keys to highlight an option and press enter to select it. Some options require input, mainly just numbers.

These two screenshots show you how my menu system is designed. You can see where you are located in the menu system, the various options, which have submenus, the current state of each option, if possible, an easily-distinguishable highlight, even a help area to explain the meaning of a particular menu item. Of course, a menu system wouldn't be as vast and complex as this, but it gives you an idea.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials
Re: Where to add menu , save ,load files [Re: ulillillia] #75766
05/28/06 11:34
05/28/06 11:34
Germany, Luebeck
Xarthor Offline
Expert
Xarthor  Offline
Expert

Germany, Luebeck
Basicly you could just make a new level in wed, add a small cube to it in the center, save and build it, add a script to it. Thats going to be your all-project-main-script.
Now into the main function of this you would put in the call for the main-menu function.
I would put all menu related stuff in an external .wdl file.
Make sure that your "all-project-main-script" includes ALL .wdl files you need in your entire game.
Now from the menu you load the first level and so on.
For ingame menu, just make the main-menu function accessible over a key, or if you want a different menu ingame, just put that onto a button or whatever.

regards Thunder

Re: Where to add menu , save ,load files [Re: Xarthor] #75767
05/29/06 15:02
05/29/06 15:02
Norway
Fiskekona Offline OP
Fiskekona  Offline OP

Norway

This sounds interesting. And will save a developer for a lot of work. I will try to do some thing like this .

Have you tried this version of menu your self? does it work?

Thanks for the input.....gave me a good idea.

Re: Where to add menu , save ,load files [Re: ulillillia] #75768
05/29/06 15:04
05/29/06 15:04
Norway
Fiskekona Offline OP
Fiskekona  Offline OP

Norway
This looks very interesting to. But it is to advanced for my litle game.
Have you builded up your menu system like Thunder exsplained?

What type of game are you making? Is it a adventure game, and can you go inside the houses we see.... just curious....lol..

Thanks for showing me.

Re: Where to add menu , save ,load files [Re: Fiskekona] #75769
05/29/06 15:17
05/29/06 15:17
Minot, North Dakota, USA
ulillillia Offline
Senior Expert
ulillillia  Offline
Senior Expert

Minot, North Dakota, USA
Quote:

This looks very interesting to. But it is to advanced for my litle game.
Have you builded up your menu system like Thunder exsplained?

Actually, I used my own system and design. With my design, I can easily move menu items around. Given that you can be 6 levels in, and with a few hundred configuration options (probably over 200), such as design would come in very useful. The system I use is rather simple - it's just the matter of manipulating variables and using several hundred if statements.

Quote:

What type of game are you making? Is it a adventure game, and can you go inside the houses we see.... just curious....lol..

It's a 2D high-speed strategy game. Though 2D may seem old-fashioned, this game has a very strong 3D feel to it and isn't like any other 2D game ever made. The [url=http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/The_Supernatural_Olympics]article I wrote in the wiki

explains some details about it if you want more details. The first link in my signature leads to a more in-depth overview of the features and stuff.

No, you can't go into the buildings. However, in a future version (I just want to get my game done so I can start selling it), I will allow just this. Thing is, the var is causing a lot of problems and I need Lite-C in order to implement several other features I have because the var is too inaccurate and has such a very narrow range. Being able to go inside the houses isn't limited by the var though, but using them as a source of height will cause all sorts of problems due to the var's severe accuracy limitations.

Quote:

Thanks for showing me.

Although it'll still be a few more weeks before I'm officially done, I'm about 84% done at the moment and working on it while watching over the forums.

"You level up the fastest and easiest if you do things at your own level and no higher or lower" - useful tip My 2D game - release on Jun 13th; My tutorials

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de