Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (Ayumi, Akow, AndrewAMD), 1,505 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
3DS Max modeling #79661
06/27/06 13:11
06/27/06 13:11
Michigan
Qarl Offline OP
Qarl  Offline OP

Michigan
Hi Gang! I'm very new to GS but I managed to download the free MDL exporter for Max and successfully exported a number of models and they work fine in the game engine. But I'd like to know what the limitations are and how to do certain things.

For instance, in the models I made, I used the Blinn Shader. What other shaders will the game engine allow? Phong? etc. Can I do bump mapping? Reflection mapping? Specular mapping? Glow mapping?

How DO I make glowing lightbulb for instance? Do I just use a glow map? And how would I make say, and animated neon sign which continuously flashes, "Eat At Joes" with the letter "A" burned out? How do I make new particle effects?

Is there some documentation somewhere for this specifically geared toward Max users? I'd rather not have to mess with that MED thing if I don't have to.

Re: 3DS Max modeling [Re: Qarl] #79662
06/28/06 14:26
06/28/06 14:26
Essen, Germany
L
Lwiet10052 Offline
Lwiet10052  Offline
L

Essen, Germany
It's not possible to export any materialproperties from Max to GS.
You can only export the texture in the diffuse slot.
Shaders in Max (Blinn, Phong ect.) have nothing to do with DirectX-Shaders used in GS.
Take a look at the WIKI:
http://www.coniserver.net/wiki/index.php/Shaders

You can't use the MAX particle-Effects in GS, you got to script them from the scratch or use a tool like "easy paticle", which generates the script for you.

http://www.easyparticle.com/ep3/news_eng.php

Re: 3DS Max modeling [Re: Lwiet10052] #79663
06/28/06 18:13
06/28/06 18:13
Michigan
Qarl Offline OP
Qarl  Offline OP

Michigan
Thanks Lwiet1005!

One thing I've noticed that I've read here that I've found to be UNTRUE is that that you CAN you more than one texture per model in 3DS Max IF you do not attach the seperate sections before exporting.

Anyhoo, I'll look into making paticle effects without using Max and just use Easy Particle. I'll take a look at the Wiki! Thanks!

Re: 3DS Max modeling [Re: Qarl] #79664
06/29/06 00:49
06/29/06 00:49
Everett, Washington
G
ghostryder Offline
ghostryder  Offline
G

Everett, Washington
I was looking on the site of Max2GS and MAX2MDL-

http://www.malabar.tv/max2gs2.htm

frm the downloads page- one is a model exporter and the other a scene exporter-

it claims:

Max2gs makes it possible to export a scene from 3dStudio Max to 3dGameStudio with a click (or maybe two). This plugin exports sprites; blocks with their textures; terrains; light and cameras; and it places models and prefabs.
It creates the scene (.wmp), the material library (.was), and the script (.wdl) in only one step. When using it, it is possible to build the whole scene directly in Max.

Seems a bit steep at 30 bucks for a plug-in, and I'm wondering if it actually works as claimed?

The model exporter claims:

Some of max2mdl's main features:
- Virtually unlimited number of vertices and faces in exported model.
- Easily scale in time each sequence, e.g. making a 100-frame animation in Max into a 5-frame MDL sequence.
- Export into both MDL4 and MDL5 formats.
- Define sequence names and ranges before exporting in properties window, with the ability to save to or load them from a file.
- Support for standard materials, both textured and untextured, mapped on any channel.
- Support for baked materials.
- Support for IFL bitmaps, automatically creating multiple skins.
- Optionally center model to pivot or world center.
- Import from MDL to Max, complete with animation and texture mapping.
The demo version of max2mdl holds the same functionality as the full version, except for some limitations in the exporting process:
- Maximum of 100 faces per model.

I am wordering if anyone one here has actually ordered and used these exporters and if tey actually work as advertised- they seem a bit steep in price- reaching near 50 bucks for both- and i certainly would expect at that price they do exactly as claimed.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Re: 3DS Max modeling [Re: ghostryder] #79665
06/29/06 06:26
06/29/06 06:26
HK
V
vlau Offline
Serious User
vlau  Offline
Serious User
V

HK
I have the max2mdl plugin, it works fine for me.
The only thing I don't it is it always make a
copy of my max file without asking me to do so
when export models.

Re: 3DS Max modeling [Re: ghostryder] #79666
06/29/06 06:35
06/29/06 06:35
Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Machinery_Frank Offline
Senior Expert
Machinery_Frank  Offline
Senior Expert

Potsdam, Brandenburg, Germany
Quote:

Seems a bit steep at 30 bucks for a plug-in, and I'm wondering if it actually works as claimed?

No, absolutely not. You are using a modelling, animation and render software that costs about 5 thousands dollars. I call that steep. 30 bucks are absolutely cheap. That is 0.6 percent of the max value. Simply nothing. Maybe you do not have a legal copy of Max? Otherwise you can easily afford this plugin.

Models, Textures and Games from Dexsoft
Re: 3DS Max modeling [Re: Machinery_Frank] #79667
06/29/06 07:32
06/29/06 07:32
TheGameMaker Offline
TheGameMaker  Offline

when do you guys understand, tht max isnīt that expensiv for the most of us.. every student can buy the student version vor !!120€!! but apart from this your totaly right... 30€ for a good working plugin is total ok.

Re: 3DS Max modeling [Re: TheGameMaker] #79668
06/29/06 09:32
06/29/06 09:32
Everett, Washington
G
ghostryder Offline
ghostryder  Offline
G

Everett, Washington
I fail to see the logic that if i drive a mercedes and I pay 5 bucks for a big Mac when it's actually only worth 1.99 that i'm not getting ripped-off - simply because I drive the mercedes-

Or is it what your saying that if i have money i have no right to watch out how i spend it? Neither one makes a lot of sense even if I was as half as rich as you think i am.

3DMAX is a development tool- yes it's generally expensive- but a truck mount carpet cleaner machine costs about 18 thousand- he makes his trade with that- so i don't see the expense of me making my trade with a tool 1/3 of that price all that mind numbing. And i certainly don't understand that since i have the tool I need to sensely go through life throwing what money I have away on tools that don't do what they say they do. 3DMax does exactly what it claims....and very well.

When there's free exporters then yes 30 bucks is steep unless the plug-in puts the free plug-in to shame. If it doesn't work as advertised then it's a rip regardless of the size of my wallet-

'Learn how to create an FPS in 10 days' doesn't seem all that expensive next to an engine that sells for $899 either- but i'll tell you right now if you order it you just got ripped. You don't learn a thing over what you can with free tutorials- in fact most tutorials do it better.

My question then goes back to the original question - does the plug-in actually work as advertised. Is it worth it- because a lot of things advertised on that page are not.

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de