Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (AndrewAMD, alibaba), 1,426 guests, and 9 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19055 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Converting DWG to 3DS #79815
06/28/06 01:54
06/28/06 01:54
USA,
manic7creations Offline OP
manic7creations  Offline OP

USA,
SORRY about cross posting, but I now know how to write this out better:)

I know I can do this, but does game engines provide collsion avoidance when I convert a DWG file into a 3DS.

My plan is to make a 3D Building with Autodesk Archtecture and then import it into "3DS Max 7" and then convert it into a 3DS file. Does the 3d game studio game engine provide collision avoidance when I use a DWG file and convert it into a 3DS file and then import it into the "world". I plan to put my characters in the building and expect them not to walk through the walls, if I have collision avoidance on. Can I do this? If 3dgamestudio don't do this, could somebody suggest me another game engine to use that will provide this function. Does any body have expert advice on this subject? Any help would be nice. Thanks.........

Chris

Re: Converting DWG to 3DS [Re: manic7creations] #79816
06/28/06 01:58
06/28/06 01:58
USA,
manic7creations Offline OP
manic7creations  Offline OP

USA,
truely I really don't know for sure!!

Re: Converting DWG to 3DS [Re: manic7creations] #79817
06/28/06 06:40
06/28/06 06:40
Essen, Germany
L
Lwiet10052 Offline
Lwiet10052  Offline
L

Essen, Germany
It is possible.
First of all you have to decide if you want to build your level from models or BSP-based.
Both methods have pros and cons.
You could use GameLevelBuilder to export a *.map-file from Max (BSP) or Max2MDL to export your level as a model.

Be aware that it won't be possible to build your level in autocad, import in max and export the whole stuff as a *.map-file without any further treatment.
If you want to build BSP-based levels in max you got to be familiar with the bsp-rules and work very accurate, otherwise you will spend hours searching damaged blocks in WED.

Since A6.4 can handle poly-exact collision (and BSP-based levels are quite restricting regarding geometric requirements) I would suggest to export your level as a model using Max2MDL and use Matt's SphereEngine for softshadows or bake your textures in MAX.

From the A6 manual:
"The default OBB collision system uses either oriented ellipsoids versus a polygon hull, or oriented bounding boxes versus oriented bounding boxes. It does not require a BSP tree level and can use any box sizes. However it is more CPU intensive than the AABB system."

The whole process will be much simpler when octree comes one day...

Moderated by  HeelX, rvL_eXile 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de