Gamestudio Links
Zorro Links
Newest Posts
New FXCM FIX Plugin
by flink. 06/04/24 07:30
AlpacaZorroPlugin v1.3.0 Released
by kzhao. 05/22/24 13:41
Free Live Data for Zorro with Paper Trading?
by AbrahamR. 05/18/24 13:28
Change chart colours
by 7th_zorro. 05/11/24 09:25
AUM Magazine
Latest Screens
The Bible Game
A psychological thriller game
SHADOW (2014)
DEAD TASTE
Who's Online Now
4 registered members (AndrewAMD, LorraineJones, VoroneTZ, Akow), 1,446 guests, and 10 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AemStones, LucasJoshua, Baklazhan, Hanky27, firatv
19058 Registered Users
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
How to get a contract with a publisher? #80537
07/06/06 21:47
07/06/06 21:47
Z
ZZZgames Offline OP
ZZZgames  Offline OP
Z

Hi .
I am wondering if i can convince a publisher to make a contract with me from a demo.
What would be the possibilities then?

Do you have any personal experience with publishers ?
Relations between you and the publisher?

Thanks .

Its a pleasure to play around with A6. zzzgames.ifrance.com : go try & buy Streetkicker
Re: How to get a contract with a publisher? [Re: ZZZgames] #80538
07/06/06 21:59
07/06/06 21:59
N
nifty Offline
nifty  Offline
N

What sort of industry are you targeting? If you are trying to secure a contract in the PC game or console game industry, then the publisher will require that you have a proven track record of previous games. I remeber the days when you could develop games in your garage, but since the consolidation, game development is a big deal.

If you are looking to break in to the casual games maerket, then you should look at alawar, or real arcade. They are always looking for people with good ideas, or a brilliant demo.

There are also a lot of books and resources on the net on game design, and getting your game published. In any case, it is a highly competetive industry and difficult to succeed in.

Re: How to get a contract with a publisher? [Re: nifty] #80539
07/06/06 22:11
07/06/06 22:11
Z
ZZZgames Offline OP
ZZZgames  Offline OP
Z

Yes I think i am looking to break into casual games market....
Or if i have very good luck ,i'd like to work in a big company for big video games.

But for the moment, i am talking about a demo i am making ...To see if i have any chance to interest a publisher in order to have a contract or something ..
Whats alawar and real arcade?..Ill look on google.

Its a pleasure to play around with A6. zzzgames.ifrance.com : go try & buy Streetkicker
Re: How to get a contract with a publisher? [Re: ZZZgames] #80540
07/06/06 22:57
07/06/06 22:57
New England
Rad_Daddy Offline
Rad_Daddy  Offline

New England
perhaps MSN games... they have casual games for free and for sale, but also host a great deal of servers for various PC games. I dont know how hard it is to get a game submitted, but just a suggestion.

"Read not to contradict and confute, nor to find talk and discourse, but to weigh and consider." Sir Francis Bacon www.deckscapedesign.com
Re: How to get a contract with a publisher? [Re: Rad_Daddy] #80541
07/07/06 01:34
07/07/06 01:34
San Francisco
JetpackMonkey Offline
Serious User
JetpackMonkey  Offline
Serious User

San Francisco
I think a lot depends on what / how good the demo is!

Re: How to get a contract with a publisher? [Re: JetpackMonkey] #80542
07/08/06 23:42
07/08/06 23:42
Austria
Blattsalat Offline
Senior Expert
Blattsalat  Offline
Senior Expert

Austria
you will need:
+ gameplay demonstration (all vital and unique gameplay features need to be visible/playable/rateable here)
+ cut out all videos and other time consuming junk
+ game design document (2 versions: a=presentation, portfolio like and b=detailed one, including timetables, milestones, ideas of the deal you want and so forth)
+ company description, contact and all legal issues as well as a short portfolio)
+ team member description (manpower, who does what, replecements and plan B set ups)
+ web site

how to contact:
+send them a short mail with a link to your work
+wait till they contact you
+if they are interested (and even if not ) send them the small presentation portfolio (demo + gamedesign a + basic info about you) .... nda might need to be signed befrore that
+after a few days have passed call them and ask if they got the package. try to get an invitation into the house. Here the dual demo strategy pays off: you remember that you have sent a basic demo that only demostrates your gameplay well. The one you can present now also includes more details and a remarkable gain of quality in art, gameplay and so forth.
+ after that you will probably spend the next month sending contracts back and forth till they are signed.

the thing most publishers are worried about are unfinished projects. Thats why they dont trust indies that much.
Your chance is to show them that your game will be finished in timeline (always add 30% more to the timetable then you thinkg you need), it has a reasonable price and you know your target audience.

say yes to small changes, say no to big ones. its a giving and taking game. you give and they take

always and under all circumstances make sure that you
a.) get a ratio for every sold unit
b.) determine costs in your contract (you will get payed for example 2bucks a unit after they returned their costs....write down exactly what these costs are!!!)
c.) try to get back the license/rights for your game as soon as possible

the bottom line is that if they think they can make money with you they will arrange a deal.

good luck
cheers

Models, Textures and Levels at:
http://www.blattsalat.com/
portfolio:
http://showcase.blattsalat.com/
Re: How to get a contract with a publisher? [Re: Blattsalat] #80543
08/03/06 13:43
08/03/06 13:43
Innsbruck, Austria
sPlKe Offline
Expert
sPlKe  Offline
Expert

Innsbruck, Austria
This Reply helps so much. Ill save this now in a Word file for further reference...

Moderated by  checkbutton, mk_1 

Gamestudio download | chip programmers | Zorro platform | shop | Data Protection Policy

oP group Germany GmbH | Birkenstr. 25-27 | 63549 Ronneburg / Germany | info (at) opgroup.de